Blade Runner

Zeppelin

It's been a while since I've watched it. It's definitely not a "fun, feel good" kind of movie in the way that Star Wars or Raiders is. It's dark, but darkness done right. I just ordered the new cut of it, which I haven't seen yet, so I'll get to re-acquaint myself with the movie. Should be interesting.

Cole

For my money, I'd probably put '2001' at the top for sci-fi. I guess Kubrick is either a guy that you really get, or you really don't........and I guess I happen to fall in the crowd that "get" him because the likes of '2001,' 'The Shining,' 'A Clockwork Orange' and 'Eyes Wide Shut' are some of the most beautifully shot, hypnotizing movies I've ever seen, featuring smart stories and boasting unbelievable performances.

Scott's other sci-fi film that he made only like 3 years before this, 'Alien,' features a similar dark, gritty, detached tone.

And similarly, it's also considered one of the best sci-fi movies of all-time. Even voted top-10 sci-fi films by AFI.

Better than Camerons' 'Aliens' I think. Cameron loses the dark, gritty tone and thrilling suspense and instead creates a fairly campy, all-out action movie.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyLGR

Cole said:
Cameron loses the dark, gritty tone and thrilling suspense and instead creates a fairly campy, all-out action movie.
Of course the original is a classic, but I think what you said above makes the sequel more refreshing as its not just a rehash of the original.

Cole said:
For my money, I'd probably put '2001' at the top for sci-fi. I guess Kubrick is either a guy that you really get, or you really don't........and I guess I happen to fall in the crowd that "get" him because the likes of '2001,' 'The Shining,' 'A Clockwork Orange' and 'Eyes Wide Shut' are some of the most beautifully shot, hypnotizing movies I've ever seen, featuring smart stories and boasting unbelievable performances.

Scott's other sci-fi film that he made only like 3 years before this, 'Alien,' features a similar dark, gritty, detached tone.

And similarly, it's also considered one of the best sci-fi movies of all-time. Even voted top-10 sci-fi films by AFI.

Better than Camerons' 'Aliens' I think. Cameron loses the dark, gritty tone and thrilling suspense and instead creates a fairly campy, all-out action movie.

Wow. The first time I've agreed with anything you've said.

Similarly, Fincher's Alien 3 crushes the atrocity that is Cameron's Aliens.

The real problem is not that it's not as dark, but that it abandons the thematic principles established in the first film. It turns it from Freudian psycho-sexual horror into Rambo in space. Utterly brain-dead.

Cole

AndyLGR said:
Of course the original is a classic, but I think what you said above makes the sequel more refreshing as its not just a rehash of the original.
Good point. I don't know if 'Alien' really allowed for a "natural" sequel to follow..........but in the world of sequels, it could've been much, much worse no doubt. All in all, it's pretty decent.

I've just run in to many fans who think 'Aliens' is a classic movie, even better than 'Alien,' and it's solidly in the top 100 in IMDb's ranking......I just don't agree with this.

Similarly 'Aliens' didn't really allow for a natural sequel either. Never gotten around to watching David Fincher's 'Alien 3,' I guess because I was slightly underwhelmed from the second film. But it was David Fincher's first major feature film, so gotta give them credit for discovering a great talent.

Cole

MaverickKing said:
Blade Runner? Possibly my favourite science-fiction film of all time. Up there with Dark City.
I don't think I've ever seen a movie that is as hit or miss as 'Blade Runner.'

From my experience, it may have the most devoted "cult" status of fans I've ever seen.

pellman

Blade Runner - almost perfect

I'm watching Ridley Scott's 2007 "Final Cut" of Blade Runner. Hadn't seen the film since I was a kid. It's pretty amazing.

Now like everyone on this board, I love Harrison. But when I'm watching this movie, I can't help thinking that it would be absolutely perfect if only it could have been filled with a 45 year old Lee Marvin instead. It is the perfect Lee Marvin movie.

pellman

Oh, wait! Deckard is drinking Johnnie Walker now. Didn't Indy hit the bad guy in the Raven over the head with Johnnie Walker? Whenever I see that scene, and Indy says, "Whisky?" and Marion reaches for it, I expect Indy to say, "Not the Johnnie Walker!" and Marion will then reach for something else.

col.dietrich

Questios about Blade Runner:Directors Cut

I will soon be watching the Blade Runner: Directors Cut. I am 13 and was wondering if there is any gore. I heard a guys head is crushed and want to know if it is gory in the directors cut. please tell me. thanks!

DocWhiskey

The new director's cut that came out recently, right?

Anyway, there's not much gore. I you could watch Raiders or Temple you could take Bladerunner for sure. The head "crush" isn't as bad as you'd think. Don't want to give anything away though. Some blood drips out of the eyes. Thats all you see really.

col.dietrich

DocWhiskey said:
The new director's cut that came out recently, right?

Anyway, there's not much gore. I you could watch Raiders or Temple you could take Bladerunner for sure. The head "crush" isn't as bad as you'd think. Don't want to give anything away though. Some blood drips out of the eyes. Thats all you see really.
i am talking about the 1992 directors cut.

Montana Smith

col.dietrich said:
i am talking about the 1992 directors cut.

I don't recall there being much gore in any cut of Blade Runner. It's a very thoughtful film that focuses on the idea of what it is to be human, and how human a machine can be (as it's based on Phillip K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"). This theme drives the story, rather than a need to show explicit blood and guts. I would say that the violence is at the level of the average thriller.

The director's cut is a great improvement on the original cinema release.

Montana Smith

ResidentAlien said:
And the 2007 Final Cut is a great improvement on the Director's Cut.

I haven't seen the 2007 cut, yet. Is it possible to write up what changes - with spoiler alerts for those who don't want to know, or for those like col.dietrich who are about to watch the earlier director's cut?

Montana Smith said:
I haven't seen the 2007 cut, yet. Is it possible to write up what changes - with spoiler alerts for those who don't want to know, or for those like col.dietrich who are about to watch the earlier director's cut?

Changes are minor yet really add a lot to the proceedings.

There is no longer any doubt whatsoever about Deckard's identity. If you've seen the film you'll know what I mean.

Zhora's last stand has been redone. This doesn't really effect my feelings toward the film, though.

There are shots, particularly during and after Roy's monologue where the sky is blue despite the rain. These have been fixed.

Oh and it's a little more violent if memory serves. I believe the head-crushing and the "crucifixion" were lengthened slightly.

For a complete list though... try here....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_of_Blade_Runner

Obviously spoilers abound^

I had the good fortune of seeing the Final Cut at a historic 1940s theater. Quite possibly the most memorable night I've ever spent at a movie.

Chewbacca Jones

Actually, the extra violence of the scenes mentioned by RA were in the so-called International version, which was available on video cassette and LaserDisc.

But, like the man says, the changes are subtle, but I understand why Ridley wanted them.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Cool, Google's Nexus One phone is available.
Is there a Voight-Kampff app?
Will it replace my girlfriend or must I wait for the Nexus-6?

Stoo

Douglas Trumbull

This Thursday, I'll be at a Visual Effects symposium where FX wizard, Doug Trumbull, will be speaking. There are a couple of questions I wish to ask but if anyone has some good ones re: "Blade Runner", let me know before July 07.