Happy Birthday USMC

roundshort

November 10, 1775 My Marine Corps Came Alive!
Today marks the 231st Birthday of the finest, fiercest, and most battle proven military force in modern history!

Here is to those who have gone and to those who are on the trip now!

SEMPER FI!

HOO-RAH!!

GENERAL JOHN A. LEJEUNE'S BIRTHDAY MESSAGE:

On November 1st, 1921, John A. Lejeune, 13th Commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps, directed that a reminder of the honorable service of the Corps be published by every command, to all Marines throughout the globe, on the birthday of the Corps. Since that day, Marines have continued to distinguish themselves on many battlefields and foreign shores, in war and peace. On this birthday of the Corps, therefore, in compliance with the will of the 13th Commandant, Article 38, United States Marine Corps Manual, Edition of 1921, is republished as follows:

(1) On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution of Continental Congress. Since that date many thousand men have borne the name "Marine". In memory of them it is fitting that we who are Marines should commemorate the birthday of our corps by calling to mind the glories of its long and illustrious history.

(2) The record of our corps is one, which will bear comparison with that of the most famous military organizations in the world's history. During 90 of the 146 years of its existence the Marine Corps has been in action against the Nation's foes. From the Battle of Trenton to the Argonne, Marines have won foremost honors in war, and is the long eras of tranquility at home, generation after generation of Marines have grown gray in war in both hemispheres and in every corner of the seven seas, that our country and its citizens might enjoy peace and security.

(3) In every battle and skirmish since the birth of our corps, Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term "Marine" has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.

(4) This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines today have received from those who preceded us in the corps. With it we have also received from them the eternal spirit, which has animated our corps from generation to generation and has been the distinguishing mark of the Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the men of our Nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as "Soldiers of the Sea" since the founding of the Corps.

JOHN A. LEJEUNE,
Major General Commandant

The inspiring message of our 13th Commandant has left its mark in the hearts and minds of all Marines. By deed and act from Guadalcanal to Iwo Jima, from Inchon to the Korean Armistice, in interventions from Lebanon to the Dominican Republic, and from the opening battles in Vietnam to the Battle of Fallujah, Marines have continued to epitomize those qualities which are their legacy. The success which they have achieved in combat and the faith they have borne in peace will continue.

Last edited:

San Holo

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It?s my life. I must master it, as it must master my life. My rifle, without me is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot him before he shoots me? I will?.My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit?My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus I will learn it as my bother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damages. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will?Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America?s and there is no enemy, but Peace!

Happy Birthday and Semper Fi

Pale Horse

Staff member
In true ToJ form!

Indeed, happy birthday jar-heads! Fill that empty noggin' up with all that propoganda. Would you like your brain waxed too, while it's being washed?!

woo-haa!

:p ;)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
You guys rock. I love listening to tales during happy hour in the Flying Leatherneck Lounge atop the Marines Memorial Club Hotel in San Francisco.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Hmfb Usmc

282WH-SemperFidelis.jpg

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
As immortalized in 1938...
That's not a very good example, Smiffy. They get wiped out in Chapter 1.

Better examples are "55 Days at Peking", "The Wind and the Lion" and a '60s film* about the Battle of Derna in 1805 during the Barbary Coast War, the U.S. Marines 1st overseas operation:

Assault-on-Tripoli.jpg

*Will be asking about it here: Can anybody help with what this movie may be?

P.S. What's with the lower case "msc" letters in the thread title? Looks damned undignifed.(n)

P.P.S. Tomorrow is REMBERANCE DAY!

Nurhachi1991

"From now on you will speak only when spoken to and the first and last words out of your fithy sewers will be sir do you maggots understand me??"

Happy Birthday Devil Dogs

Finn

Staff member
You know, I could name a bunch of drill sergeants I used to know who would give her a full earful and then some for being out of uniform.

Though in this case, "hit the deck and give me twenty" would certainly get a whole new spin in it.

Finn

Staff member
You know, Horsie, if you've actually found a woman who's into that kind of ****, good for you. But it's still the kind of information the rest of us could probably do without.