The Dark Knight Rises

TheMutt92

Or maybe not...?

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/03/21/joseph-gordon-levitt-dark-knight-rises/

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, long-rumored to be joining his Inception brethren in The Dark Knight Rises, will appear in director Christopher Nolan’s third Batman film. But a source close to the situation says that recent reports that Gordon-Levitt will play Alberto Falcone (a.k.a. the Holiday Killer) — the son of former mob kingpin, Carmine Falcone (Tom Wilkinson) — are incorrect. So, Batman fans: Begin the re-speculation now!

Montana Smith

WillKill4Food said:
I don't see how this could hurt the franchise or the memory of Ledger.

The Joker is bigger than one man, even if that man did nail the character (in my opinion). He can, and will return. And I'm looking forward to another actor's take.

WillKill4Food

Montana Smith said:
The Joker is bigger than one man, even if that man did nail the character (in my opinion). He can, and will return. And I'm looking forward to another actor's take.
I wouldn't say that he "nailed the character," though. Ledger offered his interpretation, this Mephistophelian terrorist who doesn't necessarily jive with the Kane's creation. In some ways, I'd say he probably surpassed the early versions of the Joker, giving us a villain quite a bit like Miller's, but still unique: I definitely think that Ledger's interpretation offered a gritty realism that made him more genuinely frightening and relevant, but to say that he epitomized the Joker of the comics seems to me to lessen Ledger's contribution to Nolan's vision of the Batman "mythos," if you will.

So like, if you're a fan of Pahlaniuk's Fight Club, you might think that the directors of the movie version made a quality film, even though they strayed away from the text and didn't quite "nail" the character of the narrator, in the sense that the book and movie narrators are two different guys. I'm a bigger fan of the novel than the film, but I think Edward Norton's version of the narrator offered a better (or, at least, more believable/identifiable) characterization.

Montana Smith

WillKill4Food said:
Ledger offered his interpretation, this Mephistophelian terrorist who doesn't necessarily jive with the Kane's creation. In some ways, I'd say he probably surpassed the early versions of the Joker, giving us a villain quite a bit like Miller's, but still unique: I definitely think that Ledger's interpretation offered a gritty realism that made him more genuinely frightening and relevant, but to say that he epitomized the Joker of the comics seems to me to lessen Ledger's contribution to Nolan's vision of the Batman "mythos," if you will.

Okay, let's narrow it down to screen interpretations, as the characters have changed in the comics through the years depending on the writers and artists. Considering that Gotham is a city of psychopaths, Ledger's Joker was as you described.

Wiki said:
The original and currently dominant image is of a highly intelligent psychopath with a warped, sadistic sense of humor.[54][55] The other interpretation of the character, popular in the late 1940s through 1960s comic books as well as the 1960s television series, is that of an eccentric but harmless prankster and thief.

Batman #1, Spring 1940:

Joker2.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joker

In the 1960s Cesar Romero was just plain creepy (even down whiting over his moustache).

cesar-romero-joker.jpg

Then Jack Nicholson returned The Joker to the dangerous psychopath, but it was really Jack being manic Jack.

nicholson-joker.jpg

Then along came Heath Ledger, and for me, he 'nailed' the highly intelligent psychopath with a warped, sadistic sense of humor.

WillKill4Food said:
So like, if you're a fan of Pahlaniuk's Fight Club, you might think that the directors of the movie version made a quality film, even though they strayed away from the text and didn't quite "nail" the character of the narrator, in the sense that the book and movie narrators are two different guys. I'm a bigger fan of the novel than the film, but I think Edward Norton's version of the narrator offered a better (or, at least, more believable/identifiable) characterization.

Batman films have strayed from the comics. Back in 1989 Tim Burton even killed The Joker. And Nolan has apparently killed Harvey Dent. The comics themselves keep rebooting themselves, and rewriting history. But Ledger did give us the dark clown prince of crime, which is why I say he nailed the character in my opinion.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
Okay, let's narrow it down to screen interpretations, as the characters have changed in the comics through the years depending on the writers and artists. Considering that Gotham is a city of psychopaths, Ledger's Joker was as you described.

Batman #1, Spring 1940:

Joker2.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joker

In the 1960s Cesar Romero was just plain creepy (even down whiting over his moustache).

cesar-romero-joker.jpg

Then Jack Nicholson returned The Joker to the dangerous psychopath, but it was really Jack being manic Jack.

nicholson-joker.jpg

Then along came Heath Ledger, and for me, he 'nailed' the highly intelligent psychopath with a warped, sadistic sense of humor.

Batman films have strayed from the comics. Back in 1989 Tim Burton even killed The Joker. And Nolan has apparently killed Harvey Dent. The comics themselves keep rebooting themselves, and rewriting history. But Ledger did give us the dark clown prince of crime, which is why I say he nailed the character in my opinion.

Totally agree. Ledger's Joker was the most faithful to the original concept as shown in his first comics appearance, while simultaneously making him a Joker for the post-9/11 era.

The Man

Batman is ageless and generational. As for the future...

I've suggested him in the Indy V nemesis thread also, but I would love to see this guy play El Jokerino if/when/however Warner Bros. and DC decide to continue when Nolan bids farewell...

danny_huston_image__5_.jpg
"Hee!"​

WillKill4Food

Montana Smith said:
Okay, let's narrow it down to screen interpretations, as the characters have changed in the comics through the years depending on the writers and artists...
...But Ledger did give us the dark clown prince of crime, which is why I say he nailed the character in my opinion.
That was my point, essentially. "Nailing" the Joker implies that Ledger (and Nolan) caught the very essence of the Joker and brought the comic Joker to the screen. I don't think that Ledger's Joker necessarily meshes with the comic versions, and I would think that his Joker was far darker than the one in the earlier comics, given the atmosphere of the forties. Ledger gave us a clown prince, but how could anyone give us the clown prince when he has been changed so much?

Montana Smith

WillKill4Food said:
That was my point, essentially. "Nailing" the Joker implies that Ledger (and Nolan) caught the very essence of the Joker and brought the comic Joker to the screen. I don't think that Ledger's Joker necessarily meshes with the comic versions, and I would think that his Joker was far darker than the one in the earlier comics, given the atmosphere of the forties. Ledger gave us a clown prince, but how could anyone give us the clown prince when he has been changed so much?

As I originally wrote,

Smiffy said:
The Joker is bigger than one man, even if that man did nail the character (in my opinion).

In my opinion Ledger did nail the character, because that's how I wanted him to be. This is how he is during the Dark Knight period of stories, when Batman had moved away from some of the goofiness of the '60s and '70s.

TheMutt92

Juno Temple confirmed...

http://www.slashfilm.com/juno-temple-confirmed-the-dark-knight-rises-catwomans-sidekick/

Last Friday, when Joseph Gordon-Levitt was confirmed for Christopher Nolan?s The Dark Knight Rises, there was also word that actress Juno Temple was being eyed for a role. Now she is confirmed for the film, and will reportedly play ?a street-smart Gotham girl.? That could mean a lot of things ? she could literally be a very tertiary character who just has a small role. But the description also sounds just enough like Frank Miller?s version of Robin from the original Dark Knight mini-series that there has already been a good amount of speculation about the reality of the role. Much more likely, however, is that she?ll play another Frank Miller character, Holly Robinson, who is friend to Selina Kyle, aka Catwoman.

Montana Smith

A Wiki rundown of the Holly Robinson character:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holly_Robinson_(fictional_character)

Holly first appeared in Frank Miller's Batman: Year One as a juvenile prostitute who lives with Selina Kyle. Holly plays a small but significant role in the story when she encounters a disguised Bruce Wayne during one of his early attempts at crimefighting and stabs him in the leg. Wounded by this attack and a subsequent battle, Wayne escapes back to his home, brooding on the fact that his enemies do not fear him. This encounter is an impetus for his creation of the Batman persona. As such, Holly plays an indirect role in the Dark Knight's origin.

And...

After the events of Infinite Crisis, DC Comics jumped forward in time. In the "One Year Later" storyline, Holly Robinson has taken over as the new Catwoman at the request of Selina Kyle, who has decided to retire from the role after becoming pregnant.

Does Nolan's Bat lie down the the Cat? ;)

WillKill4Food

Dr. Gonzo said:
Gary Oldman says that Bane and Gordon have a lot of screen time together...
and the ending of the script is not in hardcopy form (Nolan tells the actors verbally how it ends)
Sure sounds like he has to with Oldman around.

The Man

?We have the third Batman, but then we?ll have to reinvent Batman,? Robinov tells the LA Times. ?Chris Nolan and Emma Thomas will be producing it, so it will be a conversation with them about what the next phase is.?

The mention of Nolan and his regular producing partner/wife being involved makes us think it?ll hopefully maintain the high standards that the director has set for Bruce Wayne, but the fact remains that the more down-to-earth setting for Nolan?s take on the character would have to be ditched if Warners is going to see him share the screen with the super-powered likes of Superman (now taking the form of Henry Cavill), Wonder Woman and Green Lantern in the League.

Plus it seem that Robinov?s target for the team-up is 2013, which seems like a nearly unworkable date given that The Dark Knight won?t return until summer next year and Zack Snyder?s Superman won?t even arrive until that December.