Should there be a prequel............

Grizzlor

My critique on Young Indy was that Lucas sacrified action and adventure for historical documentary and character dialogue. My critique on the SW prequels was they were overly action and special fx, and no dialogue or story. I've experienced better stories in the SW lucas arts video games. I for one think we've advanced far enough in time that a period piece of the early 50's would be exciting. Seriously, when was the last time anybody did a real Cold War movie? Well, Harrison's Soviet sub movie K-19.... But a period piece of 50-55 years ago? Nobody wants to be bothered doing such a movie.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
K-19 was pretty good. And for the reasons you just posted, that is why I'm interested in Indy IV to happen.

darthsidious42

Grizzlor said:
Lucas is not a bad filmmaker, but he has no one to watch over him. Since he owns LucasFilms, it pretty much gave him free reign as to what to do on projects. That is never the best approach, not having a second set of eyes to have input from. But at least Young Indy and SW prequels were both maligned and acclaimed. His 1980's stab at Children's theater with the Ewoks and Willow was an absolute disaster.

The ewoks were so popular they got their own animated series and two films of their own. Every one I knew had The ewok village playset from ROTJ. And I loved WIllow, I thought it was a fun movie.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, well I confess that I have the Ewoks movies on DVD, the animated series on DVD and yes, Williow on DVD. I thought Willow was a bit of a rip off of the LOTR though, but I enjoyed it.

I'd be way more likely to go see Joe Flanigan in an Indy Prequel than to go see Harry drag his flabby old butt around some George Licks-as POS script....

As I brought up in another thread, what was the last good movie that Harry even made? It was quite some time ago....

roundshort

Violet Indy said:
Yeah, well I confess that I have the Ewoks movies on DVD, the animated series on DVD and yes, Williow on DVD. I thought Willow was a bit of a rip off of the LOTR though, but I enjoyed it.

You are a true fan! I love it! I am not a lotr fan, most fantasy middle ages things are lame, but the moveis made a lot money, and well Viggo rocks, period. You actually own Williow on DVD, I have a new respect for you, V.I.!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
roundshort said:
You are a true fan! I love it! I am not a lotr fan, most fantasy middle ages things are lame, but the moveis made a lot money, and well Viggo rocks, period. You actually own Williow on DVD, I have a new respect for you, V.I.!

New respect? What happened to the old respect?:confused: ;) Kidding! Yeah, I'm serious I own Willow on DVD.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
You'll figure it out when you get there.... It'll seem pretty obvious when you see it. ;) Actually you'll won't even have to think about it.

ClintonHammond said:
Willow... a VERY fine Ron Howard movie!

Was that you being your usual self or you actually being nice FOR ONCE?????

Last edited:
Be nice to THIS....

Willow was a fine peice of Ron Howard movie.... In my book it beats 95% of anything that George LA or Steven SB have ever put their hands to....

Ray Delark

I agree with Webley

Webley said:
I say hell yes to a prequel.
Even better an Indiana Jones prequel trilogy:whip: :whip:

I trust that any Indiana Jones story from LucasFilm, e.g. movie, that takes place any period of time would be magnificent!:whip:

Indy's brother

Hmmmm.
On the wings of Indy 5 rumors I will bump this thread and see if it takes flight. The original thread starter included a suggestion of Joe Flanigan for Indy prequels:

20051101125451joe_flanigan_-_san_diego_comic_con_2005.thumbnail.png

On the fan-dividing reception of the SW prequels, I say this: Spielberg didn't direct. To the fan-dividing reception of KOTCS I say this: after almost two decades of rewrites, anticipation, and hype, it was bound to flop for many. Flanigan or not, what do you think?

Exulted Unicron

Perhaps there could be a prequel movie. As I said on the Indy Opinion, there's so much to cover between 1909-1916 and then 1920-1935. Probably alot of it wasn't even covered in books.

Montana Smith

Animated prequels, using actor's likenesses. I think that it would look better than using even more actors to portray Indy and the others.

Forbidden Eye

No.

A prequel was fine for TOD, and I'd support it if there was an Indy 6, but seeing as Indy 5 may be unlikely, let alone an Indy 6, and most people don't want Kingdom's ending to be an "official" ending, I say we just make a sequel.

A prequel to "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull", damn, YEAH!!! All the way!!

But a prequel to the original trilogy deserves a decise NO. I think that the original intent of Lucas and Spielberg was to imply that "Temple of Doom" and "Raiders" were the first real adventures Indy ever embarked on... a prequel to them doesn't make sense to me, especially because there would be absolutely no way to involve any supernatural/mysterious subplot, unless they made Indy lose his memory again (that trick was already used in "Temple", when the Thugs force him to drink the dark blood of Kali).

Last edited: