The Cradle of Civilization . . . .

MaxPhactor23

MattJones said:
Ok, let's go through this step-by-step:

2. "Saved the Cradle of Civilization."
This dead horse has been beat as much as a rock squeezed of blood. This statement was just factually wrong.

So, basically, I love the trailer except for those three sentences.

For a long time, Indian civilization was not believed to date from much earlier than about 500 B.C., only about 200 years prior to Alexander the Great's invasion of the subcontinent. In the past century, however, the extremely sophisticated cities of Mohenjo Daro (Mound of the Dead) and Harappa have been discovered in the Indus Valley of modern-day Pakistan.

The discoveries of these cities forced archaeologists to push the dates for the origin of Indian civilization back thousands of years. A wonder to modern-day researchers, the cities were highly developed and caused leading archaeologists to believe that they were conceived as a whole before they were built: a remarkable early example of city planning. Even more remarkable is that the plumbing-sewage system throughout the large city is superior to that found in Pakistan, India, and most Asian countries today.

So this statement isn't all that factually wrong. It's simply a fairly new discovery that apparently most (if not all of you) aren't aware of. Mohenjo Daro - look it up. It's very interesting stuff. :whip:

IndyJr.

He saved a LOT of CHILDREN from slavery in India... Children are young... they are the next generation of India. Indy saved them... thus... he saved the cradle of civilization.

The cradle of that civilization = the children

not too hard to understand.

MaxPhactor23

IndyJr. said:
He saved a LOT of CHILDREN from slavery in India... Children are young... they are the next generation of India. Indy saved them... thus... he saved the cradle of civilization.

The cradle of that civilization = the children

not too hard to understand.

Did you bother to read my post at all?

Canyon

This is an interesting discussion. ;)

If you remember from Temple of Doom, Mola Ram proclaims:

The British in India will be slaughtered. Then we will overrun the Moslems. Then the Hebrew God will fall. The Christian God will be cast down and forgotten. Soon Kali Ma will rule the world!

So, this is very much the Nazi's trying to take over the world (perhaps on a much smaller scale, but still...) :D

No Ticket

Finn said:
To be honest, it was this line (apart from a rather vague wording) that made me think the leaked trailer description was a fake.

Same for me. I thought it was too cheesy and dumb for them to possibly put in there.

Whoops. Guess I was wrong. But I thought all those lines at the beginning were pretty lame. My idea, using actual dialogue from the old films would have worked better... I just hate the very beginning part of the trailer.

Niteshade007

Yeah, I was slightly disappointed that almost a third of the trailer was clips from the other films, and as others have pointed out, the sentences they use don't really make sense. But still, I enjoyed the trailer, and I have certainly watched it a lot.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
MaxPhactor23 said:
So this statement isn't all that factually wrong. It's simply a fairly new discovery that apparently most (if not all of you) aren't aware of. Mohenjo Daro - look it up. It's very interesting stuff. :whip:

Actually, I mentioned the Indus Valley in my post. Plumbing, organized cities - I know all about it.

The broader point is that the claim still doesn't stand up. Mesopotamian civilization seems to have been around since about 5000 BC; we're taking at least 1000 years later, and probably more, in the Indus Valley. Perhaps more importantly, the indications of a direct connection between the Indus Valley civilization and anything that came afterwards are far weaker than those for what emerged between the Tigris and the Euphrates.

MattJones

Canyon said:
This is an interesting discussion. ;)

If you remember from Temple of Doom, Mola Ram proclaims:

The British in India will be slaughtered. Then we will overrun the Moslems. Then the Hebrew God will fall. The Christian God will be cast down and forgotten. Soon Kali Ma will rule the world!

So, this is very much the Nazi's trying to take over the world (perhaps on a much smaller scale, but still...) :D

NO! ToD was supposed to be the one Indiana Jones movie that didn't have Nazis (apart from KotCS, but that doesn't count)! This completely rocks the foundation of my life! :dead:

M

Metis

Attila the Professor said:
Actually, I mentioned the Indus Valley in my post. Plumbing, organized cities - I know all about it.

The broader point is that the claim still doesn't stand up. Mesopotamian civilization seems to have been around since about 5000 BC; we're taking at least 1000 years later, and probably more, in the Indus Valley. Perhaps more importantly, the indications of a direct connection between the Indus Valley civilization and anything that came afterwards are far weaker than those for what emerged between the Tigris and the Euphrates.

... but of course, scientists don't usually use terms like "weaker" or "stronger". Especially when one is speaking of so called "civilizations", rather weighty terms. If you catch my drift.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Metis said:
... but of course, scientists don't usually use terms like "weaker" or "stronger". Especially when one is speaking of so called "civilizations", rather weighty terms. If you catch my drift.

I don't, no. When one is speaking of arguments, I don't see why we shouldn't use weaker or stronger (I also seem to recall from high school chemistry and physics that there are weak and strong forces, and acids, and bases, but that's perhaps besides the point). I also have the good fortune of not being a scientist, so...

Zorg

MattJones said:
So, basically, I love the trailer except for those three sentences.

That's what I think. Imagine the trailer with some quick classic moments, and then

"On May 22, the adventure continues"

Would've worked.

M

Metis

Attila the Professor said:
I don't, no. When one is speaking of arguments, I don't see why we shouldn't use weaker or stronger (I also seem to recall from high school chemistry and physics that there are weak and strong forces, and acids, and bases, but that's perhaps besides the point). I also have the good fortune of not being a scientist, so...

:hat: just being "smart" here ;)

Salacious

Blue Jay said:
I thought that too, a tad too melodramatic, those are still adventure movies.

This is not Ghandi ;)

I still dont get the cradle of civilization....:confused:

He saved the children. Good god, how can anyone not understand it.

I get more goosebumps when I see Indy walk back to the village and all the children run back to their parents than any other moment in the trilogy. Yeah, it aint as "cool" as the ark and the grail...but children are important.

You people need to get a grip. Seriously. 3 pages on this...embarrasing.

IndySeven

I found the cradle of civilization tagline pretty unusual. Usually Mesopotamia or Africa is given that tagline, but not India.

sandiegojones

Well, India is between China and Persia which were two of the earliest and most important civilizations. Plus he rescued children. I think there's a double meaning and that's what was meant by it.

This is one of many definitions of cradle:

the place where anything is nurtured during its early existence: i.e. Boston was the cradle of the American Revolution.

Indy's Fist

Actually Indy saved the whole world in TOD. Mola Ram had visions of ruling the world with the combined power of the Sankara stones.

drjones

I tend to think that is what "cradle of civilization" was trying to say- he saved the world from being taken over by the Thuggee cult.

Finn

Staff member
drjones said:
I tend to think that is what "cradle of civilization" was trying to say- he saved the world from being taken over by the Thuggee cult.
So what exactly did he pull off in the remaining two movies then?

"Ah, don't be silly, Junior! Adolf doesn't want the Grail to take over the world! He just wants a cool-looking thing to serve some pickle lard at the next Ochtoberfesht..."