The Indiana Jones World Map

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Artist Matt Busch Unveils The Indiana Jones World Map

Art lovers know Matt Busch for his amazing work from The Beatles, STAR WARS, LOST and his brilliant ?Hollywood is Dead? series of recreating classic films with a zombie look. For INDIANA JONES fans, Matt has something special a world map depicting all of the legendary archeologists globe-trotting quests from the films, novels and video games!

Matt will be making his only East Coast appearance this summer at ComiCONN in Stamford, CT on August 27, 2011 and he will be offering some of the remaining prints of this glorious map.

Maplo.jpg

Here is some more background on this amazing action filled cartographic:

Years in the making, Matt Busch is proud to unveil the illustrated Indiana Jones World Map! Perfect timing, being the 30th Anniversary of Indiana Jones this year. Authorized through Lucasfilm, this print is funded by the Adirondack Comicfest and all proceeds from the sale of this print go to American Disabled Veterans.

The map shows all of the locations that Indiana Jones has made archeological discoveries- not just the movies- the novels, the comic books, the Young Indy TV shows, the video games, and more.

Screenshot2011-06-07at33409PM.png

There are 36 different archeological artifacts displayed, each illustrated where Indy discovered it, and numbered chronologically. 3 Legend sections list info on the artifacts, including name, city and country, year, title of the story the artifact was discovered in, followed by symbols. The Key chart lets you decipher those symbols for each artifact to see how the story was presented, be it film, novel, TV Episode, etc... In many cases, these stories have been delivered in multiple platforms. In other words, "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" was at first designed as a video game, but later developed as a comic book, too...

In each of the four corners, Busch illustrated an exotic stone relief carving, each representing a cultural motif from one of the four Indiana Jones feature films.
The print measures a whopping 24" X 36" (fit for a world map!) and easy to frame in any standard movie poster size frame. All prints are signed and numbered (limited edition of 250) by Matt Busch. Buy it at ComiCONN or here at http://mattbuschstore.com/products-page/art-prints/indiana-jones-world-map/

It's looking more and more like I'm not going to make it to the show this year, so I went ahead and ordered one of these bad boys. Outstanding print! I can't wait to see it up close!

Pale Horse

Staff member
And to think, I've never started, (save for the 'films')...but this would be a fine gift to your favorite moderator.

Out of curiosity...what's the flamming sword there, in Ireland?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
And to think, I've never started, (save for the 'films')...but this would be a fine gift to your favorite moderator.

Out of curiosity...what's the flamming sword there, in Ireland?

That's looking like Excalibur, as seen here:

caidin2.jpg

Pale Horse

Staff member
whew

Though, (I haven't read the novel, sorry) why then is it flamming, merely to set it apart from the rest fo the cover art?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
whew

Though, (I haven't read the novel, sorry) why then is it flamming, merely to set it apart from the rest fo the cover art?

No recollection on my part, as far as that goes. I defer to Moedred on this... ;)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The White Witch actually had the Caliburn, not Excalibur, a charged scepter which creates a concealing mist.

Indy discovered Excalibur a few years later in London where it was placed on display.

000c1d0t

Edit: The map has the softball-sized moon from Secret of the Sphinx, a favorite artifact. If it was accurately carved front and back (which we'd never know because Indy lost it) it would lend credibility to ancient astronaut theories.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Moedred said:
The White Witch actually had the Caliburn, not Excalibur, a charged scepter which creates a concealing mist.

I haven't read the book, but the Indy Wikia page says that the story begins in the New Forest (the far south of England), but the star is placed somewhere up in the northwest (Blackpool/Carlisle?) Are the star placements relevant to the actual location, or just to the country involved?

This is a very tempting collectable.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Moedred said:
Edit: The map has the softball-sized moon from Secret of the Sphinx, a favorite artifact. If it was accurately carved front and back (which we'd never know because Indy lost it) it would lend credibility to ancient astronaut theories.

Ah, <I>that's</I> what that is. I was thinking it was the Heart of the Dragon, but it makes sense that it would just be Fate of Atlantis that's included, rather than it and Emperor's Tomb, but not Infernal Machine.

Goodeknight

Love the idea, but I wish it was an antique-style map, closer to the graphics from the films.

3659920144_7601dbafc2.jpg

It has a very nice look, but for Indy I think it's way too rich/vibrant/shiny. It is an antique style to some extent, but too much color saturation. Needs to be muted. I hate to be critical of such a major work, but I think it needed to have something like this for a basis:

World-Map.jpg

WilliamBoyd8

Does this mean that Indy 5 will have to send our lad to the only place he hasn't already visited?

Antarctica

Maybe something like H. P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness.

:)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
So there's six here that I can't make a positive ID on. I'm at a loss for:

1) The crown in France
2) The hammer? between Sir Richard's shield and Nurhachi's ashes
3) The scrolls just above the Sankara parchment
4) The staff just to the right of the scrolls
5) The sword above the Headpiece to the Staff of Ra
6) The golden woman off the coast of Africa

I also don't recall the roles in the stories they appear on the book cover's of for:
7) The mask in South America, for "...and the Seven Veils"
8) The Viking longship off Greenland for "...and the Hollow Earth"

And I suppose Moedred is right about <I>which</I> of the Shi Huangdi artifacts is depicted in China, along with the diamond.

as if the map werent great enough...

"all proceeds from the sale of this print go to American Disabled Veterans."

THAT IS AWESOME!(y) and it will be mine!

Last edited:
My map came today, and it is beautiful! I don't have the money to add a lot to my Indy collection, but I'm glad I took the plunge on this - it is well worth the $30! And there was a really cool Star Wars Celebration Japan poster in with it.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
It is very well done i got number 245!

I can't wait to see what other cool indy prints Matt may have at ComiCONN