Kill Cavalry

I finally saw it! Granted, it wasn't at night in San Pedro's Fort MacArthur with lights streaking across the sky and Germans sitting around joking and drinking (as the first attempt at seeing it; long story), but I saw it nontheless.
Well, it isn't that great. Not the worst film ever, but it wasn't that funny. There were some parts that I thought were very hilarious. My favorite series of events had to be the Japanese sub trying to find Hollywood.
They send ashore a search party to find where they are after their compass breaks. The party dresses as Christmas trees and are nearly cut down by a drunk Mr. Holliswood, lumberjack. They take him to their sub and question him, emptying his pockets. They find a cracker jack box, and in it's suprise is a compass. Acting quickly, Mr. Holliswood grabs the compass and swallows it...kind of. He starts to choke and they try to force him to...you know...The Sailors watch over him, waiting for him to "give" them back the compass.
Worth seeing, but don't pay money for it.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
The main problem with the film was that Steven tried to make it too "spoofy". It was too long, and did not carry enough laughs, but was instead filled with poor timing, lack-luster acting, and terrible script writing.
If they had tried to make a decent movie, then it would have been at least a good way to spend one's afternoon.
The sole good thing that came out of this was the music, John Willaims, did a great score. I love that theme!:)

Kill Cavalry

The theme to 1941 is seriously the best I've ever heard (after Indy of course). It's a rousing march that just makes you feel good.

Kumba

I've never seen this 1941! film, or know anything about it. Can somebody give me a synopsis or summary of it? But leave out the ending....in case I ever see it.

Kill Cavalry

Well, there are a lot of subplots that are occuring all at the same time. The briefest synopsis I can give you is that this movie is about the insanity that gripped Los Angeles shortly after Pearl Harbor. It's almost reminiscent of 9/11 and the following days. People are jumpy and rumors slam into the media about various attacks up and down the West Coast by the Japanese. Of course, none of them are true, but the movie demonstrates just how easy we can jump to conclusions. It's worth a watch at least once. Twice if you're brave.

NileQT87

john belushi was the true star of the flick.

its his antics that saved the film.

favorite parts:

stuffing food into his jacket (animal house coincidence)

head popping out of the map

sayonara suckers

falling off the plane

running after the plane

"thats the craziest son of a b*tch i ever saw"

"sayonara suckers"

"this is war" when a hole is shot on his plane

ackroyd going insane is pretty good too.

actually belushi and ackroyd are the only good things about this film. candy isnt bad either. the breakfast scenes are good too. i like the music.
---------------

if you want a funnier belushi movie get blues brothers or animal house.

NileQT87

also wild bill kelso's cigar

he eats it in one of the trailers

it goes into his mouth on after avoiding a crash and he pops it back out

when he goes into the sub his cigar is drenched and he asks for a light

------------

is the kid with the gal that loves airplanes--was he by chance otter a.k.a. eric stratten in animal house...he looks familiar. same character if it is...highly into sexual pursuits.

------------

this film is just a lackluster demolition derby that needed about twice the amount of belushi to save it.

it was too much like dr. strangelove--boring as hell and not funny (i give it a point for the presence of the snl gang)

slim pickens was pretty good, but about as dull as the before mentioned flick, which he was also in.

the only character that i give a rat's arse about is wild bill kelso, who was hilarious in his way sparse and downplayed role. id have liked to see more belushi/aykroyd pairing since they were best friends. the only interaction was a production still/a deleted scene and a salute as belushi gets on the sub. belushi sliding down that thing on the sub is oddly hilarious.

had potential, but needed to spruce up belushi and the comedy. dr. strangelove is a bad movie, and it was modeled too close to it. if only it went on the lines of animal house type comedy...the movie needed a few more looneys like kelso. aykroyds role was hardly existant too. though he looked pretty cute in uniform (i dig elwood and ray stantz--give me a break!). ;)

1941f.jpg

1941j.jpg

[Edited by NileQT87-Solo_Baggins on 06-21-2003 at 01:46 am]

NileQT87

yeah...i didnt quite find dr. strangelove much of a movie...the slim pickens stuff was ok, and the end was amusing...but the rest was kinda dull to me. sorry.

i liked the breakfast making scene in the beginning of 1941 too. with aykroyd's gang in the resturant and jitterbug practice in the kitchen. that was pretty good.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I've viewed a number of WWII films lately: The Great Escape, Where Eagles Dare, The Dirty Dozen, Tora Tora Tora, Red Tails, Midway, The Caine Mutiny, and The Battle of Britain. 1941 is still my favorite. Finally arriving in HD, but not yet individually.

Joe Brody

Moedred said:
I've viewed a number of WWII films lately: The Great Escape, Where Eagles Dare, The Dirty Dozen, Tora Tora Tora, Red Tails, Midway, The Caine Mutiny, and The Battle of Britain. 1941 is still my favorite. Finally arriving in HD, but not yet individually.

No Bridge Too Far?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It's queued! Reconsidering, Empire of the Sun may be my fave, with Spielberg's others up there (Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List). I've yet to see Clint Eastwood's Iwo Jima offerings in full, or The Thin Red Line. Enemy at the Gates has that great sniper scene, and Bridge Over the River Kwai is pretty good. Inglorious Basterds, like Valkyrie, entertains an alternate timeline where Dresden is spared.

I think what dings a lot of WWII epics is their length. Where Eagles Dare should have been more brisk like the book. Someone thankfully prevented The Caine Mutiny from becoming another 3 hour epic. I seem to favor war fiction over dramatizations, the more outlandish the better...

Montana Smith

Moedred said:
I've yet to see Clint Eastwood's Iwo Jima offerings in full...

I didn't like Flags of Our Fathers or Letters from Iwo Jima. They were among the few war film DVDs I got rid of.

Moedred said:
I seem to favor war fiction over dramatizations, the more outlandish the better...

You'll love The Misfit Brigade then! (aka Wheels of Terror).

One of the best war films I've seen that was based on a novel is Cross of Iron.