What is the Best 90's Indy novel?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The existence of polls does tend to complicate the whole "is a thread redundant?" question, I must say, but when the thread opener doesn't even answer the question he poses in his own post in the thread, that tips the scales in favor of closure.

Jonesy9906753

What Is The Best 90's Indy Novel?

Out Of All Of The 90's Bantam Novels,Which IYO is the greatest.

P.S:Sorry i've done so many polls,but im a journalistic kind of person and i like seeing people's opinions,and sorry if this poll has been done i tried to search for such a thing and the raven search engine was going veryyy slow.

Last edited:

Stoo

I'm sure it's been done but I kind of like yours because it has a poll.
Don't worry, people will vote but there's also these:

Which book is the best?
Best Indy Novel?

I'm not going to vote because I haven't read them all yet.
Had 'em for 15 years and am only getting back into them now!:eek:

ResidentAlien said:
I'm going to create a topic titled "What is the best topic asking this same question?"
That would be "Who's the Best Indy Girl?":sick:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Sigh...because I liked your poll, Jonesy, you get to be the thread on this topic that gets to keep the thread title. The other 4 have all been merged into this one.

Last edited:

Ska

My decision was between Philosopher's Stone and Secret of the Sphinx...and I decided to go with Philosopher's Stone.

indyclone25

i have read all the books , back in the 90's of course but the one that still remains in my mind is the interior world ----i did like that one --- i think i will start in order again tho and read them all

DIrishB

Iandiana said:
I personally don't feel Indy works in an expanded universe because it is OUR universe and not a fabricated one. But, as always, this is just my opinion.

I'm not quite sure what you mean? Just because Indy's universe coincides with or shares our own (in terms of historical events and most other elements, etc) doesn't preclude expanded universe tales from working or not working any better than the movies themselves. Thats entirely up to the author/artist/programmer (depending on novels, comics, video games, etc) and how well they know how to translate the character into those specific mediums.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just not sure how you came to the conclusion the expanded universe stuff doesn't work because its "our world"...which it really isn't "our world", when you consider the more fantastic and supernatural elements of the Indy verse don't exist in our own.

Agent Spalko said:
Anybody read the Adventure series books? I have the first one. They remind me of the Choose Your Own Adventure books I read as a kid. You turn to the page you decide where the story should go. I know they are for kids but kinda fun.

I have. Over the years I managed to collect all 11 Indy Find Your Fate books. I read several of them as a kid, but actually picked up the IJ Ape Slaves of Howling Island book recently and sat down to check it out. These really are more fun than I remembered them.

Violet Indy said:
Btw, Marion does have a very small cameo in 'Genesis Deluge'. You really have to read between the lines.

Seriously? I'm usually pretty good at picking up nods to stuff like that, but don't remember anything like that. Mind refreshing my memory some?

Timeline wise it makes sense, since GD takes place just under 10 years before Raiders. I was even hoping there'd be a reference to Abner or Marion, but don't remember it in GD.

ResidentAlien said:
I'm going to create a topic titled "What is the best topic asking this same question?"

Here's my vote:

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=16135

Do you contribute ANYTHING else to the forum other than directing newer members to the search function? I admit a certain amount of that is needed, but it'd be nice to see you offer something a bit more constructive to the discussion other than a sarcastic reply to use the search button IN EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR POSTS.

You're like a broken record, man.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
DIrishB said:
Do you contribute ANYTHING else to the forum other than directing newer members to the search function? I admit a certain amount of that is needed, but it'd be nice to see you offer something a bit more constructive to the discussion other than a sarcastic reply to use the search button IN EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR POSTS.

You're like a broken record, man.

He does, actually. (Some of these things we don't like, as has been shown by some time he's served suspended, but as I <I>always</I> say in these matters, that's water under the bridge.) Other contributions aside, I have to say, it's nice to have people who so consistently keep track of when discussions have been had before, and do so quickly before the thread develops to a point where it might suffer from a merger. We mods can't be everywhere at once, and it's things like threads on topics that have obviously been discussed before that really make it difficult.

At any rate, the Marion allusion Violet Indy refers to comes from Genesis Deluge, in which Indy has been drugged in Cappadocia and sees a few people flit across his memory, including some girl who punches him in the jaw. I don't recall the exact wording, as it's been probably 5 or 6 years since I read it, but it's something along those lines.

Luke Skywalker

Attila the Professor said:
including some girl who punches him in the jaw. I don't recall the exact wording,

Read it the other day. He sees people from his past, and one of them is a girl called Marion, saying that one of these days she will punch him on the face.

Or something like that.

It's really a shame that Lucas forbid Marion to appear in any of the novels.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
That's right. Chapter 14: Cappadocia, page 174. Here's the exact quote:
...He could see nothing in the darkness, not even his hand. Yet he could see the inside of his mind quite clearly. Old friends paraded across the invisible screen in front of him, and each one generated a flood of emotion from compassion to wrath, anger to joy. He saw Dorian Belecamus, his archaeology professor and lover, who wnated to swallow him. His old history professor said he was remarkable, but not profound. Madelaine from his past called his name and laughed hauntingly, and a girl named Marion said she was going to punch him in the mouth one of these days....

Now, unless this was one of many Marion Williams' Indy knew (which in an ironic way, that would include Marion in later years but he never knew her as that back then... I'm rambling now), how many of them would threaten him by punching him in the mouth one of these days and be a girl (as his memory of her at this point would be Marion as a girl not a woman). If this was to be someone else then my guess would have been woman or lady rather than a girl. I like to think it was a sneaky attempt on MacGregor's part for being forbidden from writing about Abner and Marion. I think deep down he wanted to write about them.

I hope that answers your question as to where it is. It's not the first time I've spotted something like the in GD. It has been re-edited at least once.

Luke Skywalker

Violet Indy said:
I hope that answers your question as to where it is. It's not the first time I've spotted something like the in GD. It has been re-edited at least once.

You mean the Marion quote is not in the new imprint?

HovitosKing

I've read them all, with the exception of 3 that I just couldn't will myself to finish: Interior World (MacGregor's worst attempt by far) and Caidin's two novels (Sky Pirates and White Witch).

It has been several years, but I remember the following tidbits. MacGregor's novels were all pretty good, with the one exception noted above. I remember liking Unicorn's Legacy a great deal, despite the gay title. Caidin's novels were crap. All of McCoy's novels were very, very good, but my favorite of his (and of all the Indy novels) was Secret of the Sphinx.

DIrishB

Attila the Professor said:
He does, actually. (Some of these things we don't like, as has been shown by some time he's served suspended, but as I <I>always</I> say in these matters, that's water under the bridge.) Other contributions aside, I have to say, it's nice to have people who so consistently keep track of when discussions have been had before, and do so quickly before the thread develops to a point where it might suffer from a merger. We mods can't be everywhere at once, and it's things like threads on topics that have obviously been discussed before that really make it difficult.

Yeah, sorry if I came off a bit abrasive. And as said, I understand the need for his search function reminders, as I've been rightfully chastised by Mr. R. Alien and have amended making new threads before utilizing it. I merely have issue with the elitist, nose-in-the-air approach to newer members and offenders that lace his reminders. I'm a newer member myself (though had popped in regularly to read the boards for years as a guest), and would like to see this forum continue to grow. Don't want to see unnecessary attitude turn people off to the boards.

Catch more flies with honey than vinegar, you know? Merely directing them to the search function is great...doing so and adding in a rant or sarcastic jab isn't.

That's all I'm saying.

At any rate, the Marion allusion Violet Indy refers to comes from Genesis Deluge, in which Indy has been drugged in Cappadocia and sees a few people flit across his memory, including some girl who punches him in the jaw. I don't recall the exact wording, as it's been probably 5 or 6 years since I read it, but it's something along those lines.

I read it about 7 or 8 months ago (as a primer for the new movie) and I remember that scene. My mind must've drifted during that mention, I honestly didn't catch it. I'll go back and check for it, mainly because I've always wanted to see more of Marion in the expanded universe stuff. I'd honestly like to see the early Indy and Marion romance, then division between Indy and Abner's friendship as a result. It could work in terms of the existing novels: Indy jumps into a relationship with a much younger woman...and daughter of his friend and mentor. All in response to Deirdre's death. I could see him being careless, selfish, and whatever other undesirable personality traits would set in motion the early Indy and Marion break up--because of his losting Deirdre. Set it either before or after Genesis Deluge (after would be better to work the vision Indy had GD into continuity) and reflect the mention of Marion/Abner not seeing Indy in ten years in Raiders.

I'm probably thinking too much about continuity. Its a sickness, sorry. ;)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Luke Skywalker said:
You mean the Marion quote is not in the new imprint?

I have no idea as I have got the second edition of the novel. I was referring to the part of the GD novel where Indy says the f word to a character, which was in the very first early edition of the novel, but was fixed and changed way earlier than the new reprints of now. I doubt the Marion part would have been edited out in the latest one, but who knows.

DIrishB said:
I read it about 7 or 8 months ago (as a primer for the new movie) and I remember that scene. My mind must've drifted during that mention, I honestly didn't catch it. I'll go back and check for it, mainly because I've always wanted to see more of Marion in the expanded universe stuff. I'd honestly like to see the early Indy and Marion romance, then division between Indy and Abner's friendship as a result. It could work in terms of the existing novels: Indy jumps into a relationship with a much younger woman...and daughter of his friend and mentor. All in response to Deirdre's death. I could see him being careless, selfish, and whatever other undesirable personality traits would set in motion the early Indy and Marion break up--because of his losting Deirdre. Set it either before or after Genesis Deluge (after would be better to work the vision Indy had GD into continuity) and reflect the mention of Marion/Abner not seeing Indy in ten years in Raiders.
I agree however, the Marion and Abner thing really should be set before GD as when Indy sees her in the drugged out sequence (sorry, it isn't a vision of things to come, it's actually his memories of people including a bit of a Young Indy style adventure he recounts in his head in a later part of the novel) it's not a vision, it's figures of the past. I remember reading that DH is still not allowed to use Marion and Abner yet, so maybe there are plans of an expanded novel. I certainly hope so, but am not holding my breath. I would personally would have loved to seen a Young Indy episode about it.

DIrishB

Violet Indy said:
I agree however, the Marion and Abner thing really should be set before GD as when Indy sees her in the drugged out sequence (sorry, it isn't a vision of things to come, it's actually his memories of people including a bit of a Young Indy style adventure he recounts in his head in a later part of the novel) it's not a vision, it's figures of the past. I remember reading that DH is still not allowed to use Marion and Abner yet, so maybe there are plans of an expanded novel. I certainly hope so, but am not holding my breath. I would personally would have loved to seen a Young Indy episode about it.

Yeah, I've been waiting to see that story since I first discovered the Indy expanded universe stuff. But setting it before GD still works with his motivations/messed up personality after Deirdre's death theory I had going. I really would like to see this story, though. Its one of the major defining aspects of the adult Indy.