Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs

EyesofMara

Borders has a display of Indy books now that KOTCS is almost out and I found 3 of these books for 6.99 each. (Dino eggs, sky pirates and Hallow Earth.) I started Dino eggs first and just finished the first chapter.

Rylek Blaze

It's the 1st one I read besides the Movie Novels

I LOVED this one! When I was at the bookstore, this is the one I picked out first because I've always had a thing for dinosaurs. This one is a good first one for people reading Indy books outside the movie novels. (y)

graveraider87

UltimateManGod said:
This one is my favorite, mainly because it was the first Indy book I read, as well as being the only one I had for some time before I bought some more. And yes, Loki was pretty dang awesome. But all the McCoy books are good. Most of the MacGregor ones are too. Interior World was easily the weakest, in my opinion. I'm working on the Caidin ones right now. They're not as bad as I expected, but something about them just feels off.
This is my first Indy book as well and so far I am really enjoying it. I think I might get the original trilogy books that they had based on ROTLA, TOD, and The last crusades. You know just to see if they added anything that wasnt in the movies. :whip:

Peacock's-Eye

Finished "Dinosaur Eggs" and loved it - excellent!
Many of the same faults as "Philosopher's Stone", but also a big improvement.
I've started "Hollow Earth" and it's already better than "Dinosaur Eggs".
Hat's off (pun intended) to Max McCoy.

INDIANA JONES & THE DINOSAUR EGGS
I give it four out of five Indy's!

:whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:

Horchata

Dinosaur eggs

I'm currently reading Indiana jones & the dinosaur eggs. Pretty damn good so far. I was wondering though. In the beginning of TOD, the waiter who is holding the gun under the tray who gets shot by Lao Che's brother (I believe), what was his name? I'm wondering if its the man Indy meets in the book, dinosaur eggs, "wu Han"

Does anybody know?

Raider S

'Dinosaur Eggs' not so bad

I picked up the Max McCoy Indy and the Dinosaur Eggs and am about a third of the way through (you can read it in an evening as these are short novels) and it's pretty decent so far. McCoy seems to know Indy much better than Macgregor - Peril at Delphi is so bad I can't even get past the first couple chapters - and the book feels like a decent adventure film. Plus you get some Lao Che and Wu Han background.

I'd read the McCoy books but only if I found them cheap. They are kind of pricey for something I can get through in a couple hours.

But if you want a good Indy read, give 'Dinosaur Eggs' a look.

Stoo

Raider S said:
Peril at Delphi is so bad I can't even get past the first couple chapters...
(snip)
...But if you want a good Indy read, give 'Dinosaur Eggs' a look.
Hey, Raider S, I actually like "Delphi"! I bought all the novels and promised myself to read them in proper order.
Well, I was really looking forward to "Seven Veils" but it was sooooo bad that it took me over 15 YEARS to read!
(I kept putting it down, falling asleep, losing interest, etc.)

Currently reading "Genesis Deluge" but can't wait for "Dinosaur Eggs" because that's right up my alley!
Regarding "Eggs", I don't mean to be harsh and stick it to ya...but I will! (All in good fun.);) :whip:

Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs
Dinosaur Eggs
Dinosaur eggs

DIrishB

I liked MacGregor's novels. I'm hating Caidin's so far (I'm halfway through Sky Pirates but its so boring I've been reading other books as I go). Caidin eally doesn't know what he's doing with Indy.

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
Raider S said:
Peril at Delphi is so bad I can't even get past the first couple chapters...
(snip)
...But if you want a good Indy read, give 'Dinosaur Eggs' a look.

Hey, Raider S, I actually like "Delphi"! I bought all the novels and promised myself to read them in proper order.
Well, I was really looking forward to "Seven Veils" but it was sooooo bad that it took me over 15 YEARS to read!
(I kept putting it down, falling asleep, losing interest, etc.)

I actually liked all three quite a bit. By the time I got around to Dinosaur Eggs, though, I felt a bit...wearied, I guess, and didn't fully get into it, but that's more because of its place within the sequence (coming after several other Indy novels, including a couple I found a bit more off-putting) than because of any real shortcomings of its own. But I do need to go back and re-read the whole series, of course (and I still need to pick up the new Indy comics!)...

IndysGal41

Oh i read most of those novels and they are all great. right now im reading the i think its called the 7 veils.

DIrishB

IndysGal41 said:
Oh i read most of those novels and they are all great. right now im reading the i think its called the 7 veils.

Some people didn't like Seven Veils, but I enjoyed it. Pretty shocking ending too.

TREN KROM

I love Max McCoy's books, I've read Philosiphers Stone and Hollow Earth and loved them. I'm going to get Dinosaur Eggs next, now I know what to expect.

Also, how much did they cost you Raider S? I get them for $7 at Borders.

Crack that whip

I think they cost me the cover price of $4.99 for the first three McCoys and $5.50 for the fourth, but that was back from 1995 to 1999.

Man, I remember when paperbacks were a lot cheaper. Of course, I remember when everything was a lot cheaper...

DIrishB

Crack that whip said:
I think they cost me the cover price of $4.99 for the first three McCoys and $5.50 for the fourth, but that was back from 1995 to 1999.

Man, I remember when paperbacks were a lot cheaper. Of course, I remember when everything was a lot cheaper...

Seriously. When I graduated high school gas was like $1.30 a gallon...and that was less than 10 years ago!

Raider S

TREN KROM said:
Also, how much did they cost you Raider S? I get them for $7 at Borders.

Yeah, $6.99 at Borders. Kind of too much for the time it takes to read them. :(

I got the first two books at Wal Mart and they were $2 cheaper there. I'll check the used book store.

Kooshmeister

Just got done reading this and it was very interesting. The title is a bit dopey (it sounds like the title of a children's book) but the story felt like a real Indiana Jones adventure from the unconnected opening adventure involving Belloq, the Nazis and the Crystal Skull of Cozan, then on to the main adventure in Mongolia. General Tzi was a fun villain and his motivation was pretty interesting, and it was also nice to see Wu Han and Lao Che appear and to explain how Indy and Wu Han met and became friends.

The Joan Starbuck character I didn't get into much, nor her missing father, Angus Starbuck. Maybe it was fresh back when McCoy wrote the book but Indy helping people find their missing parents as the catalyst for an adventure (and, indeed, searching for missing friends and relatives in general) just seemed a bit cliched to me.

Also, did anyone else get the not-too-subtle French joke with Belloq's identical twin henchmen? Jean and Claude are their names. Jean-Clade is a pretty common stereotypical French name so McCoy must've thought he was clever naming Belloq's two goons "Jean" and "Claude." Also the name of Belloq's mansion, Fortress Malevil....well to be fair maybe McCoy was deliberately going for "corny" with that.

And unless I'm mistaken, does this story mark Indy's first real encounter with Nazis? His line following his initial confrontation with Colonel Kroeger, "I could grow to hate these guys," suggests this is his first up close and personal exposure to a Nazi. Also a cute nod to Last Crusade, heh.

Lao_Che

Kooshmeister said:
And unless I'm mistaken, does this story mark Indy's first real encounter with Nazis? His line following his initial confrontation with Colonel Kroeger, "I could grow to hate these guys," suggests this is his first up close and personal exposure to a Nazi. Also a cute nod to Last Crusade, heh.

It's since been trumped by (at least) Indiana Jones Adventures Vol 1. ;)