TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: What kind of villains do you want to see?
Cold War spies 7 21.88%
pirates 3 9.38%
bounty hunters 1 3.13%
Post-war nazis 9 28.13%
Somone else 12 37.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #1
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Villains of Indy 5

What kind of villains should be in Indiana Jones 5?
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #2
Raiders Remake
IndyFan

I'd go for the Soviets themselves (maybe spies, I have to think about that one.) only because I believe we've kind of worn the Nazis out too much.
EDIT: Of course, one could use the Nazis for a prequel if wanted, but I believe this might be Indy's last hurrah.
Raiders Remake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
Pale Horse

Other...as in, another archaeologist/academic
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
If the movie is set in the 60s, I'd like to see Indy confront a shady organization, vying for world domination by exploiting the power of the macguffin du jour.

Some kind of sect or cult would also work for me, but a shady organization a la Bond would probably be more appropriate for the era.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
The Man
IndyFan

Other, namely Satanists.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #6
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan

Aliens. Specifically, the aliens from the ending of KOTCS return to earth with an alien army, hellbent on obliterating humans. I think most Indy fans would really like that.

Seriously, though, I want something a bit different. Not another political enemy. We've had Nazis twice, we had Russians... so prefer something more like what we had in TOD, an ancient cult. Something based on an actual history, but portrayed in the classic pulp comic style of an Indy film (much like how the Thuggee were.)

A rival archaeologist could factor into it, too.

And, and no more family stuff. I don't want Indy's long-lost evil twin (played by Harrison Ford with a sinister mustache) coming out of the woodwork.
Randy_Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #7
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Flagg
Aliens. Specifically, the aliens from the ending of KOTCS return to earth with an alien army, hellbent on obliterating humans. I think most Indy fans would really like that.

Seriously, though, I want something a bit different. Not another political enemy. We've had Nazis twice, we had Russians... so prefer something more like what we had in TOD, an ancient cult. Something based on an actual history, but portrayed in the classic pulp comic style of an Indy film (much like how the Thuggee were.)

A rival archaeologist could factor into it, too.

And, and no more family stuff. I don't want Indy's long-lost evil twin (played by Harrison Ford with a sinister mustache) coming out of the woodwork.

Something like the villains in Tomb Raider 2013?
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #8
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sartorius
Something like the villains in Tomb Raider 2013?

Possibly, yeah. But I can't recall if they were based on anything real, or purely fiction. I'd prefer something rooted in reality.
Randy_Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #9
Henry Jones VII
IndyFan

A rival archeologist working for a Satanic/Occult organization.
Henry Jones VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:19 PM   #10
indy4242
IndyFan

I think the villain should return to more of a Belloq/Walter Donovan vibe, simply working with the big army of henchmen to achieve his/her own ends. That's one big reason that Spalko didn't work as well as she could've -- not really interesting enough on her own.

That being said, post-war Nazis has my vote. I can definitely imagine an Indiana Jones movie with a similar plot to "The Boys from Brazil".
indy4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:46 AM   #11
Gwydion
IndyFan

Hippies.
Gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:00 PM   #12
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Neo Nazis with a Christian relic - throwback to Raiders/Crusade. Lots of nostalgia.
Face_Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:01 PM   #13
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Its set during the cold war so I thinks the communists would be the best choice. It could be the Soviets again or a different regime depending on the setting of the film.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #14
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
I'd like to see them try to Soviet angle again and they should do it differently this time. I would take a little inspiration from City of the Gods script myself as I quite like the baddies in that one. Otherwise a secret society might be an idea too
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:41 AM   #15
Indyfan82
IndyFan

The answer for this thread is largely dependent on when and where the movie is set. I'm guessing it will have to be set in the '60s most likely- and that does help determine what villains would make sense historically for Indiana Jones to take on. I would be okay with Soviets again, as that makes sense historically. Nazis have been done twice already and I don't see that it makes as much sense for Indy to be fighting them again... it seems like it would be too contrived. And I don't want to see the movie too contrived just for nostalgia's sake. (That doesn't mean there can't be references back to previous movies or the TV series....but they should be subtle. Standard features of every Indy movie should be there in some form though- a scene with Indy frantically grabbing his hat or whip before losing it, creepy crawly scene, a reference to his fear of snakes, etc.)
I like the idea of an evil organization of some sort- one tied in to the MacGuffin and seeking world domination, as someone else mentioned. (So a Cobra-like group- and Indy can have help from G.I. Joe. [Okay- not really, but something like some of the groups James Bond has taken on would work... Indy's fought spies before in "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles"- and with the '60s being the era of spy shows and movies, that would seem fitting for this movie. Especially since the original James Bond [Sean Connery] is Indy's dad! ]
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #16
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Any of the following:

Chinese Communists
Murderous N. Vietnamese Renegade General
Gangsters
Neo-Nazi Cult (Worships Hitler)
Spanish Fascists (Franco was alive until 1975)

Perhaps some combination thereof. Like, an insane Vietnamese renegade who is working with an (American) Gangster to get an artifact that will help him overrun Vietnam. Meanwhile, a neo-Nazi cult leader is also hot on the trail of this artifact. Ngo (main baddy), Russo (Gangster sub-baddy working as strongman for Ngo) and Schultz (neo-Nazi cultist bad guy). Just as there were three baddies in Raiders and LC.

As a callback to Raiders, the government enlists Indy one last time to be their man.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:37 PM   #17
Avnar
IndyFan

Hmmm...

The Chinese are due a shot aren't they??
Avnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #18
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Chinese communists were the last Mummy movie. Would have to be done differently to that (yes I realise the military in that film were more for the Emperor but were under the guise of Chinese Communist military).
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #19
TheFedora
IndyFan

I would like it if the enemy were someone that Indy knew, aka Belloq. In Raiders it made it more personal since he had a long standing rivalry with him.

In this I see a few others have already said 'rival archaeologist'. But what if...Indy has had a long career as an academic. Surely generations of people were trained by him in their classes. What if a new villain was a former student of his? Someone who had heard rumors about their former professor, and was inspired by him. But instead leaned more towards the mercenary aspect of Indy.

As in, they are only out for the artifact or whatever for fame or glory.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:56 AM   #20
DirkPitt
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
Surely generations of people were trained by him in their classes. What if a new villain was a former student of his? Someone who had heard rumors about their former professor, and was inspired by him. But instead leaned more towards the mercenary aspect of Indy.

As in, they are only out for the artifact or whatever for fame or glory.

It could be one of the students, whose Indy left in his office in Last Crusade.

Former student: You were my teacher!
Indy: Uh... Huh?
Former student: You left and I was waiting... An then I failed my archeology course!
Indy: But I...
Former student: Then I was but a learner. Now I am the professor. DIE!
Indy: I have a grade for you now. F!
[Indy shoots him]

To be more serious:
I've never though of that, but that is really nice idea.
DirkPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:02 AM   #21
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Imagine. Indy's greatest nemesis was forged because he failed to open up Michaelson.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #22
DirkPitt
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
Indy's greatest nemesis was forged because he failed to open up Michaelson.

What a great tagline for 5th part!
DirkPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #23
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
Imagine. Indy's greatest nemesis was forged because he failed to open up Michaelson.

Indy's too old for adventure. But he's not to old to try and STOP IT.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:48 AM   #24
Kai Hagen
IndyFan

The Cold War era Soviet Union doesn't ring a bell for me in the villain factor as much as the Nazis did before. The Nazis winning would've been a menace to a greater majority of the world. People like Gorbachev, Petrov, and the fact that Khrushchev backed down from the Cuban Missile Crisis made me lose my fear of the USSR. Maybe a Soviet villain film would've worked for me when the tensions during the Cold War were higher. What would've worked for me was if an early part of WWII era film was made depicting the Japanese navy. Japan had impressive planes, carriers, and battleships at this time. The Pacific would've been a new direction for this series. Too bad that another Indiana Jones movie wasn't made a few years after TLC was released when Harrison Ford had the energy.
Kai Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #25
seasider
IndyFan

Nazis hiding in Argentina sounds intriguing but

the fact that we've already had 2 movies where Indy has done stuff in South America is enough for me. I would be on board with evil Chinese baddies if it meant that we get to see grownup Shortround.
seasider is offline   Reply With Quote