Customizing Indy Figures

Dr Bones

Han...not hairy enough.... Obi too hairy and too grey LOL ....Kotcs less hairy but grey.... repaint...a bit better?

customs.jpg

Kevin

Dr Bones said:
Quick photoshop mock up....I think Dark Horse's choice has great potential...:D

fedora.jpg

Somebody already beat you to it!

psegars said:
Here's a custom Streets of Cairo Indy made using the Legacy Collection Han Solo head. I had to cut the head, fix the hair, and slap a hat on him. The beard stubble is brown; my camera just stinks.

Pictures1.jpg

Pictures2.jpg

From page 12 of this thread. It looks pretty good in my opinion.

inky_skin

Kevin said:

I used the "Sandstorm Han" head a while back too. The likeness is kinda caricaturish, but it says "Ford" more than the Indy figures do. Had to take off the whole back of the head to get the hairstyle right :)

indy_mac.jpg

Dr Bones

Kevin said:

I hope you didn't trawl through 95 pages just to correct me! LOL. ;)

Thnaks Kevin...I agree it does look pretty good.

Still think KOTCS Indy is a better likeness if a little gaunt.

Luke Sprywalker

I added another German to the ranks. It is the Zartan head repainted. I thought it kinda looks like Lances Tough Sargent and I never ended up getting one of those.

DSC_0019-7.jpg

DSC_0020-7.jpg

Stoo

The photo with the cap on his head is a spitting image of the guy in the movie. Nicely done, Spry!:)

Dark Horse

Great stuff on the Tough sergeant!

Here's a redux from me -

aindy2.jpg

aIndy1.jpg

I scrapped the Indy body and updated with the W:O base.
Better articulation and taller. ;)

Luke Sprywalker

Thanks guys.I removed the big ammo pouch and repainted the suspenders, belt, hat and his face. Makes for a great looking mean/mad German with that facial expression.

Dark Horse - great to see you back in here and working on customs. I love the deep sea Indy, that Joe body is perfect and well articulated. Cold Weather Indy was very cool but the Logan legs make him even better. Great job man. Don't know if I ever told you but you and Phillip M. Scott were my original inspiration for wanting to make Indy customs.

Kevin

Dr Bones said:
I hope you didn't trawl through 95 pages just to correct me! LOL. ;)

Thnaks Kevin...I agree it does look pretty good.

Still think KOTCS Indy is a better likeness if a little gaunt.

Haha, no, I remembered that it was within the first few pages of this thread. I agree that KOTCS Indy has the best 1/18th HF likeness. I like the Han head because he has a bit of a smirk.

Luke Sprywalker said:
I added another German to the ranks. It is the Zartan head repainted. I thought it kinda looks like Lances Tough Sargent and I never ended up getting one of those.

Luke, that looks fantastic, a very close match to the sergeant, and a great troop-filler to break up the repeats.

Billy Ray

Great "Tough Sergeant" Luke! I have thought about picking up that Zartan figure for that very custom, but wasn't sure how it would look. Now that I see, I will definitely be doing just that. It's not like there is a shortage of Zartans either:D

hemble

Hi All

Spry the german soldier turned out excellent but then again I would'nt expect anything less from you.

Dark Horse awesome work on your cold weather indy you can see him digging up some old frozen caveman well done indeed.

Ron

Akator Playset

TRU's website has the Akator set for $25. I don't have the room or desire to display the whole playset, but are there any pieces\parts that would be good for customizing bases, backgrounds, smaller scenes, etc? I haven't seen many good pics of it online just basic front & back images. anyone have better pis of a disassembled playset?

Errex

ddschneider1972 said:
TRU's website has the Akator set for $25. I don't have the room or desire to display the whole playset, but are there any pieces\parts that would be good for customizing bases, backgrounds, smaller scenes, etc? I haven't seen many good pics of it online just basic front & back images. anyone have better pis of a disassembled playset?

Frankly, I don't see any individual element on that playset that could not be either reproduced or improved as a modeling project. Rock hewn walls and flagstone floors can be made out of cardboard or plastic sheet, and the skull motiff can be reproduced the same way. Then again, your mileage may vary.

Montana Smith

Akator Playset

ddschneider1972, I got the Akator playset as part of a big lot of Indiana Jones toys, and wasn't expecting much from it. Being a big fan of the figures and vehicles I thought it would be good to have just to complete the set. However,after setting it up and putting it on a shelf I began to see it's good points. I put railway modelling foliage (the soft reindeer moss kind) onto the steps and rock ledges, which serves to cover some of the joins and make the playset look a little more organic. It now looks much better than I expected it could.

As for your actual question the only parts that could be harvested for a smaller diorama are the statue on the top, the door, the dragon balcony above the door, and the steps, if you wanted to place them around a stone platform.

Poundstretcher in the UK now has these sets at £14.99.

After I set Akator up with the Jungle Cutter and all the figures from the KOTCS, it reminded me of a film poster - where elements of the film are drawn so that they overlap one another. Turned out to bebne a economical way of getting everything on display.

On a shelf below I have all the Raiders related figures, Troop Car and a couple of Trucks. Nothing in the way of scenery so far.

To display the Last Crusade figures I'm using the Harry Potter Great Hall playset, which is quite an impressive peice. The dining table and benches provide a good home to show off all the artifacts that came with the figures.

The Temple of Doom wave is very neglected as far as dioamas go. Even though they're my favourite figures from the series I don't have an idea yet of what to do with them.

Yesterday I received a 1/18 scale Messerschmitt ME262 made by Admiral Toys. In the absence of a 1/18 Flying Wing I at least wanted an aircraft of some sort. It's a great model and will have to stand in for the Wing. Although it's a 1944 jet (the first operational jet fighter in the world), it's design dates back to 1938/1939, and if Raiders could have MP38 machine-pistols in 1936, I thought I could have an experimental jet ;)

The only other scenery piece I have at the moment is the Armies of Middle Earth Helm's Deep Castle. The idea to use it came from seeing photos on this forum of one in action.

Matt

Dr Bones

Ark crate version 3...

Picture009-3.jpg

Need to do better handles.....

Done once again using lolly sticks from a craft shop and coffe stirrers.

Emblem pasted on in 3 sections as the sticks won't take small detail paint (soaks it up and blurs).

I photoshopped a crate emblem I found on the net and took out the crate gaps so I could place it according to how my sticks are spaced.

Sticks are too wide but I am not that anal about it.

crate3.jpg

Last edited:

Dr Bones

Done wtih version 3. Got new handles on and painted/weathered.

It's far from screen accurate but it fits the ark and goes in the truck with room for a couple of german troops.

Dr Bones

hemble said:
Dr Bones totally beautiful work and the print really worked well.

Ron

Thanks Hemble,

Looks much better with the new handles and the pic doesn't really do it much justice.

Added another supporting cross strip to the lid.

maybe one day I'll do for a more screen accurate version, but I thinks this looks pretty cool in the bakc of the truck with troops around it.