Topps Heritage: Indiana Jones Trading Card Set

metalinvader

I just bought a box of these today.I didn't manage to build a complete set,Even with the 13 packs I had bought yesterday but I did get a sketch card today!(y)

I'm about cards short of a complete set,I'm looking for cards 1,19 and 54 anyone wants to trade cards PM me!:D

Arab Swordsman

metalinvader said:
I just bought a box of these today.I didn't manage to build a complete set,Even with the 13 packs I had bought yesterday but I did get a sketch card today!(y)

I'm about cards short of a complete set,I'm looking for cards 1,19 and 54 anyone wants to trade cards PM me!:D

I'll check when I get home. I know I have card 1 but not sure on the other 2. I'll let you know and if I have them they are yours.

Ok someone's got to help me out here. There are way too many types of cards coming out that I don't get. I used to collect cards, but that was back in the late 80s so I know things have changed.

The Hobby boxes, which I bought a case of, has the regular cards, and autograph cards.
The retail boxes have the regular cards and magnets.

What are these other cards and what is the point?

I've seen sketch cards, the way I see it there are lots of different sketches and each one is unique? If so what's the point of that?

There's also parallel cards, I have no idea what those are or even the point.

Then I see painted cards, which seem to be similar to the sketch cards.

There's also shortprint cards, again I have no idea what these are. Seems to be only 500 of these.

Some of these even look like they go together in a puzzle. There just seems to be way too much crap honestly and it seems to be outright impossible to complete a set, even skipping the autographed Indy card. So someone let me know what all these different cards are and if I should be selling some of these cards that while I'd keep if easy to get, I'm selling if I can't get a full set.

mfisher

actually that is much smarter.. if they sold the art pieces and autographs at Target and Walmart just think how many sketches would be bought by a random 8 year old and tossed into a tox box.. never knowing what real treasure they had... by selling them at collectible stores they avoid that happening...

Deckard

mfisher said:
actually that is much smarter.. if they sold the art pieces and autographs at Target and Walmart just think how many sketches would be bought by a random 8 year old and tossed into a tox box.. never knowing what real treasure they had... by selling them at collectible stores they avoid that happening...

No he's correct, its still retarded, let me tell you why.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Topps-Indiana-J...goryZ219QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You pay $800 for that sketch. Then you need the other card. Well a few things could happen. You could be the LUCKIEST SOB EVER and pull the 2nd card to go w/ that set, or maybe you could just buy it for another few hundred. So you end up w/ 2 painted cards for around $1500 so you have a nice little 2 card display. Congrats, you could most definately have just contacted the artist and for that price got something probably even larger painted or sketched by them on commission just for you.

So what deters that? Well collecting an entire set to make the Indy thing special. Well I don't have a bilion dollars to collect the entire set.

Not to mention its possible somewhere, someone bought a few boxes they may never open and always keep sealed. Which means you may never ever get that second half of your 2 card painted 3 billion dollar set.

To me thats retarded.

Now im trying to get some of the sketches because I dig the idea of paying around $20 for a small sketch that looks cool, problem is I see the Painted ones and Im like damn I want that. Then Im like damn look how many cool cards have already showed up and sold, that means they aren't in the boxes I have coming. Thats already stopped me from buying another 8 boxes which I strongly considered until I realised it was going to be a waste of time.

By the way the not retarded marketing thing to do? Make regular copies of painted and sketch cards so that there are plenty for all of us. We can all still have a full set or combined cards, THEN you include the originals as extra incentive. That way I can still collect all my favorite artists sketches at a reasonable price and If I want to get hardcore I can try to get a few real ones.

Last edited:

Little Indy

Deckard said:
No he's correct, its still retarded, let me tell you why.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Topps-Indiana-J...goryZ219QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You pay $800 for that sketch. Then you need the other card. Well a few things could happen. You could be the LUCKIEST SOB EVER and pull the 2nd card to go w/ that set, or maybe you could just buy it for another few hundred. So you end up w/ 2 painted cards for around $1500 so you have a nice little 2 card display. Congrats, you could most definately have just contacted the artist and for that price got something probably even larger painted or sketched by them on commission just for you.

So what deters that? Well collecting an entire set to make the Indy thing special. Well I don't have a bilion dollars to collect the entire set.

Not to mention its possible somewhere, someone bought a few boxes they may never open and always keep sealed. Which means you may never ever get that second half of your 2 card painted 3 billion dollar set.

To me thats retarded.

Now im trying to get some of the sketches because I dig the idea of paying around $20 for a small sketch that looks cool, problem is I see the Painted ones and Im like damn I want that. Then Im like damn look how many cool cards have already showed up and sold, that means they aren't in the boxes I have coming. Thats already stopped me from buying another 8 boxes which I strongly considered until I realised it was going to be a waste of time.

By the way the not retarded marketing thing to do? Make regular copies of painted and sketch cards so that there are plenty for all of us. We can all still have a full set or combined cards, THEN you include the originals as extra incentive. That way I can still collect all my favorite artists sketches at a reasonable price and If I want to get hardcore I can try to get a few real ones.

Totally agree I was kinda of irked when I found out that it would be impossible to get a complete set of the sketch cards

Deckard

Little Indy said:
Totally agree I was kinda of irked when I found out that it would be impossible to get a complete set of the sketch cards

If they had done what I suggest they would sell more boxes so quickly. People would want those cool paint or sketch cards so theyd keep buying. At the same time your driving up the amount of cards you make so the real ones would come less often making them even more valueable.

I am not buying these for the regular set of movie picture cards w/ gum and magnets or gum magnets.

I already have a full set of the movie picture cards, its called the Indiana Jones trilogy on DvD and I can pause it on any image I want.

mfisher

ahh.. Ok we were addressing different issues.. I agree with the idea that reprints of the art cards would be nice.. what I was getting at was that the art and autograph cards are best sold at specialty shops and not wal-mart so some kid doesn't toss out that sketch card worth over 800 bucks, not knowing what he had... but I am in full agreement that reprints of the sketches would have been great.. and the fact that a number of the artists did do tow part scenes is pretty silly considering the chances of getting both is ridiculous...

Deckard

mfisher said:
ahh.. Ok we were addressing different issues.. I agree with the idea that reprints of the art cards would be nice.. what I was getting at was that the art and autograph cards are best sold at specialty shops and not wal-mart so some kid doesn't toss out that sketch card worth over 800 bucks, not knowing what he had... but I am in full agreement that reprints of the sketches would have been great.. and the fact that a number of the artists did do tow part scenes is pretty silly considering the chances of getting both is ridiculous...

Oh I totally agree. It'd be heartbreaking if one of these were destroyed due to someone not knowing what they have. Also let me say I am in no way saying these artist's are at fault or that the art isn't worth the prices, it's all awesome, Thats the thing, I want it all and thats not going to happen.

phantom train

The difference between the boxes of the "Topps IJ Heritage cards" at hobby shops (with the sketch card inserts) and retail stores like Target, Wal-mart (without the sketch card inserts), etc. is irrelevant because, as far as I know, normal retail stores like Target and Wal-mart aren't carrying these IJ cards at all.

However, I could be wrong. Has anyone actually seen these new IJ cards at retail stores like Target, Wal-mart, K-mart, etc.?
When these cards were advertised in the original press release that I saw, it specifically said that they would only be available at hobby and speciality shops (i.e., comic shops).

I'm having a hard time finding these cards at comic shops, and wouldn't mind buying a box of cards without the sketch inserts (since I'm only interested in the cards themselves), but don't want to bother looking at places like Target, Wal-mart, etc. if they definitely aren't carrying them.

Any info. on this would be appreciated - Thanks!

Arab Swordsman

So far no cards at my Wal Mart or Target. I'm a bit confused on where they are going to sell the retail cards too. They might not be anywhere yet becuase I'm sure we would have seen some of the magnet inserts on Ebay and there are none up there yet. Plus I'm not sure I know the difference between a hobby and comic book store. The only store in my area is a comic book/hobby store and the only seperate hobby store is Hobbytown USA and they usually only sell game cards like Pokemon. I wonder who exactly is getting the cards with the magnet inserts and will those be cheaper than the ones with the sketch and autograph cards?

tnswman

The retail packs ( if there are any ) will not have sketch or autographed cards in them.

I ordered 2 cases of the cards on-line.. I'm anxious to get them :)

Deckard

Trevor your cards are very cool from what I have seen, there are a few on ebay and I can afford to get one but can't decide which. Any chance you can post some pics of what you've done? Or have you and i missed it?

mfisher

no doubt Deckard... owning an original would have been fantastic.. especially one of Trevors.. but reprints would have been nice too...

throwmetheidol said:
I believe the odds are pulling either 1 autograph card OR 1 sketch from a sealed box. That's what I got when I opened 2 boxes.
Well I've opened 8 boxes with the results being 4 autograph cards and 4 sketch cards. And LOTS of gum!

And to answer the retail question - NO to Target. I've been told places like Hot Topic, Spencers Gifts, etc are the places to scout out. Let your fingers do the walking and call around before going out on a wild goose chase.