Backtoback

BrodyIsDead

Hey,

what does anybody think of the possibility that Lucas/Spielberg might do 2 Indy films back to back? A la Back To The Futures 2 & 3 and Pirates Of The Caribbean 2 & 3 - they might just not let anyone in on the fact... (y)

Harrison Ford's not getting any younger so it might make sense from a certain point of view maybe... ;)

Probably just my wild imagination getting the better of me though...

:gun:

-----------------------------------

www.findthemissingreel.com

www.cgallan.blogspot.com

James

The obvious answer is that it's extremely unlikely, but...it is a possibility until they reveal more about the production to us.

The idea of filming two sequels has popped up as rumour at least twice whenever they've gotten close to moving forward with Indy 4. It could explain the high level of secrecy that has always surrounded the project, and to a lesser extent, why it took so long to get the script under control.

Oh, I'm not expecting Indy 4 to be continued, just that it would be possible for them to film two sequels back-to-back. It would also make a lot of sense from Ford's point of view, since having two Indy sequels released over the next few years could be a great boost for his career. If Lucas/Spielberg were interested, why shouldn't he agree to a few extra months now- for something that will still be paying off in five years time?

oki9Sedo

BrodyIsDead said:
Hey,

what does anybody think of the possibility that Lucas/Spielberg might do 2 Indy films back to back? A la Back To The Futures 2 & 3 and Pirates Of The Caribbean 2 & 3 - they might just not let anyone in on the fact... (y)

Harrison Ford's not getting any younger so it might make sense from a certain point of view maybe... ;)

Probably just my wild imagination getting the better of me though...

:gun:

www.findthemissingreel.com

www.cgallan.blogspot.com

Personally I always thought filming two sequels back to back was a bad idea....there's a risk that the third one will take the backseat to the second film (as was clearly the case with The Matrix Revolutions, and hopefully will not be the case with Pirates 3).

In any case, I think if they planned to do that, they would have announced it.

Johan

Can't and Won't ever happen...It took THIS long to get this Indy 4 script. How much longer would it take to get another script.

James

IndyJohan said:
It took THIS long to get this Indy 4 script. How much longer would it take to get another script.

Well, for this to even be feasible, they would have to already have both scripts ready to film.

I think we all realize how unlikely it is to happen, but it's still fun to speculate. After all, now that Indy 4 has been announced, the fans need a new "What if?" to ponder. :gun:

Chris Jones

The Indy films have their own story, i don't think i'd want them to do what they are doing with the Pirates, have a cliff hanger. But i would like to see more Indy films. That'd be great :)

misnomer

not a remote chance unfortunately. Would have been nice to see Darabont's script as Indy V...."Indy V" lol....not going to happen.

indy fan

Indy V? YA!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't they just make Indy IV a four hour movie. The last two hours can be IndyV. I don't know about yall but I could sit throught 4 hours of Indiana Jones. :hat:

Joe Brody

This quote from another thread) got me to thinking. . .

?It?s the opening scene of the movie,? Ms. Dunn burbled excitedly. ?[Indiana Jones] is teaching a class and he hears some noise outside, which turns out to be an anti-Communist rally, and he goes out to investigate and he recognizes one of his old rivals from one of the other movies and he jumps on a motorcycle and ends up being chased by some guys in a car.?

The Indiana Jones serial format dicates that the opening sequence not have a direct bearing on the film's main plot. True to the old serial format -- where the adventures overlap from installment-to-installment -- the opening sequence is typically used to resolve the prior installment's story and transition to the new story:

(1) Raiders winds down the Fertility Idol story but introduces Belloq.

(2) Temple of Doom ends the Yurhachi/Diamond storyline but introduces Willie (and Shortround) and accounts for how Indy gets dumped in India.

(3) Last Crusade sets the stage for the father/son story and gives us the resolution of a storyline set in Indy's youth. Last Crusade's opening was additionally notably because of the role that it played in supposedly help end the series: we see Indy succeed in obtaining the relic and handing it off to Marcus -- thereby making up for his failure to get the relic in Raiders.

This is all old news -- so what does it have to do with this thread, which deals with the prospect of Indy IV being the beginning of a mult-film project?

All the openings in the prior films dealt with resolutions. Indy either gets -- or come close to getting -- an object and then the film transitions on to the film's main story. What intrigues me about the Yale/Marshall opening is that I don't think we'll see another resolution -- because the key to Indy IV (after the character having been dormant for so long) is to have the perfect catalyst to thrust him back into action. In other words, since the audience feels that the character has been 'idle' for so long, it just won't feel right to have a resolution right at the start. So, I'm assuming, the powers-that-be will attempt something different. How about the opening sequence have the initial catalyst (an old foe) but have the initial catalyst slip away (and leave this old-foe storyline unresolved, leaving the audience wanting more)? By having Indy fail to catch his quarry, Indy is up and running -- there's some transition to the main storyline for the present film, and the audience is re-engaged with the character.

I just don't think the powers-that-be will be so unimaginative and linear as to start the film's opening sequence with same subject matter as the main story. And to use the opening sequence to start -- rather than resolve -- a story would be the perfect teaser to generate interest for a later film. The scant support I have for this point is how Spielberg gushed over Koepp's script. That's why I don't think the opening and fourth film will be unimaginative or linear. I also think the upcoming video games link to Lao Che is compelling. I think there may be larger plans afoot for the franchise (think of Pirates II and how they planned the third film if the second was a success). I just don't think Hollywood re-starts a franchise like Indiana Jones for a one-shot deal. . . .

JimmyPSHayes

I have to respectfully disagree. Although, you're point is VERY well made. Look at the other franchises that have had "Final Chapters" recently. Die Hard, Rocky and soon Rambo. I doubt there's going to be any further installments of those movies.
-But, I'm with everyone else, I'd LOVE an Indy V, but I just don't see it happening. But hey, stranger things have happened!

JimmyPSHayes said:
I have to respectfully disagree. Although, you're point is VERY well made. Look at the other franchises that have had "Final Chapters" recently. Die Hard, Rocky and soon Rambo. I doubt there's going to be any further installments of those movies.
-But, I'm with everyone else, I'd LOVE an Indy V, but I just don't see it happening. But hey, stranger things have happened!

I agree with the Stallone movies but Bruce Willis told rottentomatoes soneom eis already working on a Die Hard 5 script.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
You do know that the contract that Shia signed was for three movies, right?

I know that just now Chud.com has reported it, but this wasn't any surprise to me or my contacts (who've been telling me that both George & Steven are looking at expanding the Jones Universe further).

Vendetta08

Yeah, I doubt it will happen. They would more than likely tell us if they were planning on doing back to back sequels, and even if they want to keep it a secret, it would be let out the bag fairly quickly. Not to mention everyone would be suspicious if the one film takes 150 days of shooting.

Aaron H said:
You do know that the contract that Shia signed was for three movies, right?

I know that just now Chud.com has reported it, but this wasn't any surprise to me or my contacts (who've been telling me that both George & Steven are looking at expanding the Jones Universe further).

What about Ford? How many has he signed on for?

Grizzlor

They could always use Shia's character as the lead for future movies. I think it was Kathleen Kennedy who said the other day that they would retire the Indy character with Harrison, but not necessarily the franchise, so to speak. That said, Lucas has insisted he is going into television, no more movies. I don't see Spielberg being involved if its not Harrison in the lead.

As for filming back to back, I think that's unlikely. Spielberg has never done it. He was the Exec. Producer when Zemeckis did it for Back to the Future 2 and 3. That was done, because like the original Star Wars, BTTF I/II/III were all part of the original script, but split up into 3. I would welcome the notion, but I think its just too much work. BTTF used like 2 sets for the whole trilogy.