Artifacts that Indy could find in Indy 5

Indy Byrd

theneogon said:
I agree that the fountain of youth might be a little too similar to the Grail. But hey if it makes Ford get young again I'm for it!

The Japanese General idea is an interesting one. Indy might have to visit some of the places the treasure was stolen from and do some detective work.

What is the Maltese Falcon?

The Maltese Falcon was the MacGuffin for the 1930 detective novel by Dashiell Hammett. The figurine was a gift from the Island of Malta to the King of Spain a few hundred years ago, but was lost on ship in transit. It was covered with fine jewels, but acquired a layer of black enamel at some time, to conceal its value (estimated to be in the millions). Gutman( a crime boss/collector in the novel, i.e. Walter Donavon in TLC) learned of its whereabouts seventeen years ago, and has been looking for it ever since. He traced it to the home of a Russian General, then sent three of his 'agents' (Cairo, Thursby and Brigid O'Shaughnessy) to get it. The latter supposedly did retrieve the figurine, but learned of its value and decided to keep it for themselves. Many people are killed over this bird, which finally gets turned over to the police in the end.

whipem

|ZiR| said:
Did you have to go there?! I hate thinking about the inevitable death of a fictional character. Fountain of Youth's not a bad idea, actually. I thought they might be going there in the speculation days of KotCS.

The thing about the Fountain of Youth was more of a sarcastic comment about Harrison and Indy's age by the time the next one comes out (if it does).

adventure_al

Gamingboy said:
I have to admit you are probably right. Yama s h i t a's gold would probably work better for a "National Treasure" movie (although I guess they'd have to rename it to "International Treasure") or another Indy-clone.

OR...wait for it... a Mutt Williams spin off? after all he ditched school and isn't historically knowledgable. Could be his first taste of adventure going solo!? You could maybe even write a bit of fan-fiction?

Gamingboy

adventure_al said:
OR...wait for it... a Mutt Williams spin off? after all he ditched school and isn't historically knowledgable. Could be his first taste of adventure going solo!? You could maybe even write a bit of fan-fiction?

If the rumors of a Mutt spin-off (or at least a Mutt-centered Indy V) are true, I wouldn't be surprised if it was something more recent, because I don't exactly see Mutt reading Ancient Babylonian from tablets...

adventure_al

Gamingboy said:
If the rumors of a Mutt spin-off (or at least a Mutt-centered Indy V) are true, I wouldn't be surprised if it was something more recent, because I don't exactly see Mutt reading Ancient Babylonian from tablets...

Unless of course he listening to daddy and goes back to school. plus picking stuff up off the parents.

could go either way. If they are going to do it an adventure with a relatively modern treasure would probably suit more though.

Seaner

WillKill4Food said:
Fountain of Youth has the same powers as the Holy Grail.
That would be repetitive, don't you think?
Besides, Pirates of the Caribbean 4 (if produced) is supposedly going to involve a search for the Holy Grail. Two summer movies with the same McGuffin? That's just bad, especially since Pirates 4 will suck anyway.
a fourth one? i was lost at the first seconds of the second one

theneogon

Thats what I hope doesn't happen to Indy if they make more. Throwing a ton of money and CGI into a movie doesn't make it better (unforcentally it does usually make more money).

Anyway lets get back to the artifacts (thats what i started this forum about). Can anyone think of any Eastern ones? Buddhist, Hindu, ect.

otto rahn

I wouldn't mind seing Indy trying to find some form of mystical weapon. The Spear of Longinus, Excalibur,Durindal (spelling ? Roland's sword),Thor's hammer etc before some (unspecified) group bent on world domination can get hold of it.

The Tingler

Insomniac said:
Pandora's Box!

Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (film) did that one.

theneogon said:
The staff/rod of Moses/Aaron would be interesting. They are a lot of cool powers associated with it, including the plagues of Egypt! Also it has a tendency to turn into a snake, which wouldn't suit well with Indy, lol.

95% certain this is going to be the MacGuffin of the next Indiana Jones game, so that's out as a film one.

Thor's Hammer Mjolnir was a good one Otto, I'm just worried that it's a bit too comic-booky (especially with the movie Thor based on the Marvel comic coming out soon). Might as well have the Shield of Captain America in there! :D

Excalibur was always rumoured. Tomb Raider Legend (game) did it and quite well, but that's the one artifact Indy's not really gone for (apart from a fan script). They'd have to link it to another legend though, like Crystal Skulls to El Dorado... personally I don't think it's cool enough to hold a movie.

My choice? Atlantis. Not a chance of it happening due to both Spielberg and Lucas being fans of the really really good computer game, but it's perfect.

And my original, not done before and only slightly fictional MacGuffin? The Scythe of Death. Originally held by the greek god Kronus, guardian of life and harvesting, it became the symbol of the Grim Reaper - so could be said to be a weapon of both life and death. And it's got a Biblical connection too - the Angel of Death met Moses in the desert and is sometimes called Samael.

Might work better for Lara Croft though. Still, at least it's original and people have heard of it! (even if it's totally fictional)

Last edited:

Gamingboy

Thor's hammer (Mjolnir) would never work, since a THOR movie will be coming out soon. Maybe a lesser Nordic god item would work (doesn't Odin have a big spear?)

theneogon

Snakes said:
How about the heart of Davy Jones?

We could have Indiana Jones and the Pirates of the Caribbean!

The Scythe of Death is an interesting idea. It sounds like it would lend its self to a darker Indy movie.

whipem

Indy fan 235 said:
Thor's hammer would be great. Or Excalibur. Those are two items I would love to see Indy go after.

There was a script written up for the latter. I read it a couple years ago and liked it, but then again, at that age I would have taken anything Indy-related. Maybe I should check it out again when I have the time.

Vance

His and Sophia's lovechild?

His and Willie's lovechild?

Really, it depends on what they do with IJ5 (if anything). If it's in the 1950s era, then I would do things like 'Lost Nazi Secrets', 'cause that was huge in the time. Secret weapons, stolen artifacts from all over Europe, etc.. all it takes is /something/ amiss in all that.

Thank you...

That was very interesting...

It reminds me of what Lucas has stated about the Expended Universe in Star Wars. Basically, if it was not in one of the films or in the young Indy chronicles, than it?s open for debate. I have no problem dropping the novels and comics from the film canon. It opens the door wide for other artifacts like The Spear of Destiny, The Philosophers stone (Yes, this ones connection to the Potter kid would make it difficult to make into a film) the Golden fleece, Atlantis & Noah?s ark? just to name a few. There are thousands of items (both real and mythical) throughout history that could be a possibility. I think the real problem is deciding on something that is on the level of the past items. Also, deciding on something that could be made relevant to the late 50?s and 1960?s. One more thing, I?d like to see the next film take place in either the South Seas or Australia/New Zealand. Two areas we have not seen at least in the films.