Patrick Schoenmaker Indy art

No Ticket

Attila the Professor said:
You're entitled to your opinion, obviously, especially since you are one of the most consistently well-arguing Raveners I've known, but I do feel you've got this one wrong. The Pixar canon thus far has been infused with a genuine sense of the loss and disappoints inherent in human life, even though their characters may be toys, bugs, or a rat with a penchant for fine cuisine, and I'm eager to see what else they produce - especially Brad Bird.

I think you got that exactly right. I think the animation is beautiful sure, but that's part of their passion in story telling. Before they begin to draw up something they put much time and effort in finding a story worth telling... then they use their exceptional artistry to call up very beautiful and cutting edge animation. Some might scoff that's all it is, but they're missing the mark.

Monsters Inc. is a very original story all-together. Formulaic? Perhaps... but aren't most movies to a point formulaic in some way or another? The loss and disappointments you mention are a huge part of those stories as well. In Toy Story, you learn that nothing in life lasts forever (the new toys coming, Andy growing up or growing out of Woody)... that someone "better" than you may come along and you might get jealous but that doesn't mean that someone else won't still find all the charm in you they always did... (Buzz Lightyear and Andy still loving Woody... heh...)

Anyway, I think you got it right. Well said.

indytim

Indy Wallpapers Featuring Patrick Schoenmaker Art

I love Patrick Schoenmaker's animated take on the Indy universe and so have I've created a few computer wallpapers (1024x768) using his work. Click on any of the thumbnails to see the full size version. Enjoy :D

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
If they ever do an animated series, I hope he gets the job. (Many more here.)
081019_IndyMasterpiece06_small.jpg

indytim

Indy Animated Maquette (and Short Round too!)

Patrick Schoenmaker (the artist who created the excellent 'Escaping the Tomb' print that went on sale around the time of Crystal Skull's release) has produced two wonderful 'work-in-progress' maquettes of Indy and the ever-faithful Short Round.

If you're familiar with Patrick's take on Indy you'll know his work more than any other I've seen justifies that an animated Indy could work, whether that be on the big or small screen. I'm fortunate enough to own one of the large 'Escaping The Tomb' giclee prints and I assure you that it's a thing of beauty.

Visit the following links for more details. Enjoy :hat:

http://patrickschoenmaker.blogspot.com/2011/04/indy-animated-maquette.html

http://patrickschoenmaker.blogspot.com/2011/05/no-time-for-love-dr-jones.html

MaquettePose_Color_01.jpg

20110120_Full_01.jpg

20110523_ShortyWIP_01.jpg

michael

I've seen his Indy before and that Short Round is awesome.

He produces amazing work, thanks for posting.

indytim said:
Patrick Schoenmaker has produced two wonderful 'work-in-progress' maquettes of Indy and the ever-faithful Short Round.
Sweet. The sculpts are nice, hope the paint comes out nice. Thanks for posting.:hat:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
IndianaJonesLineUp_01.jpg

I've seen this in the twitter feed, just not here yet.

This would make a nice snippet from an animated take on McCoy's "Hollow Earth."

Lance Quazar

Man, I would give several non-vital body parts to make this a reality. That's gorgeous.

I am lucky enough to have been given as an Xmas gift the wonderful "Escaping the Tomb" print.

Stoo

EXCELLENT and inspirational. (Including the animated clip).(y)

I would like to Schoenmaker's take on Willie Scott!

Lao_Che

Stoo said:
EXCELLENT and inspirational. (Including the animated clip).(y)

I would like to Schoenmaker's take on Willie Scott!

http://patrickschoenmaker.blogspot.co.uk/2008/11/indy-masterpieces-sketchcards.html

http://patrickschoenmaker.blogspot.co.uk/2008/03/topps-indiana-jones-heritage-sketch.html

http://patrickschoenmaker.blogspot.co.uk/2008/09/indiana-jones-products.html

If the foreign Indy novels aren't translated simply because no-one asked, maybe we need to pitch to some studios. ;) :(

No Ticket

Since i saw this thread popping up again I decided to ask Patrick specifically if he'd ever make a short animated Indiana Jones like he did with that girl in the snow that was linked to earlier in this thread. I told him after all this time, it would be awesome to finally see the images in motion and not just having to imagine them that way. This is the reply I got!

Not to commit myself to something I will never finish (so take this with a little "I hope"), but I've been working on a 1 minute piece of Indy animation that I am planning to start working on again very soon. 1 Minute is a lot of work, but I think it's feasible. It might take a long time to do, especially if I have to do it inbetween regular jobs, but it should be manageable. So, let's hope I'll find some time this summer. It would be great if it could be done when the Indy Blu-ray's are released.

So cross your fingers. Maybe we'll get a little professionally animated Indiana Jones clip. That'd be cool. (y) :hat:

Mickiana

Just one criticism. I don't like the way he has made Indy look like a scheming nasty with that squinty, shifty look about the eyes. It's like Indy gone bad.

Stoo

No Ticket said:
So cross your fingers. Maybe we'll get a little professionally animated Indiana Jones clip. That'd be cool. (y) :hat:
Good idea to contact him, No Ticket.:) That would be very cool so, yes, fingers crossed.

His style reminds me of the Don Bluth animation for the early '80s "Dragon's Lair" and "Space Ace" arcade games. Am I mistaken or did Patrick Schoenmaker work for Disney at one point?:confused:
Mickiana said:
Just one criticism. I don't like the way he has made Indy look like a scheming nasty with that squinty, shifty look about the eyes. It's like Indy gone bad.
The only minor quibble I have about his Indy design is the rendering of the boots. Other than that, it's a marvelous interpretation.

@Lao Che: Thanks for the links, Leland!;)

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:

It depicts a time when Indy was a bad boy. ;)

I love the period style

Mickiana

Yeah, 'rogue bad' is ok, but not looking like a used car salesman or a politician who've just conned another customer or constituent. Like I've said, it's the only complaint I've got, otherwise it's all good.