Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular

Joe Brody

The wife and I are taking the kids to Walt Disney World this Friday for six days -- I have two young girls (a four 1/2 and one 1/2 year old). Over the years my wife and I have seen the stunt show on 3-4 occassions. My question is -- aside from being a fan -- is there any reason why I should make the effort to catch the show?

The thing is with two young kids we're mostly going to be in the Magic Kingdom -- with the Animal Kingdom and EPCOT being the secondary priorities. The way I see it there are only really two decent attractions for young girls at MGM, and I don't know if I feel blowing half a day and the bus ride out there (we'll be at the Contemporary) for one ride and a stage show. So again is there any reason to make the effort to catch the stunt show? Part of me would rather just let girls the blow off steam and spend a half day just running wild on Tom Sawyer's Island -- or some water park somewhere.

And while I don't think I've ever bought any merchandise in the stunt show store, I think all the stuff is available on-line, yes?

As an aside -- in past trips -- I liked hitting the stunt show in the afternoon. You can just about always get a seat without waiting in line and its a great place to relax. And -- speaking of the line -- one of my favorite things in Walt Disney is hanging out in the line area before the show. It's lush and has a great feel (although I never figured out the connection between Indiana Jones and the then current generation Army camo netting used for theming).

Last edited:

Joe Brody

I'm heading down to Walt Disney World tomorrow and will ask about new stunts. This may well be my sign-off. I'll catch up with everyone when I return.

Ska

Saw that you posted elsewhere on the boards. Welcome back!

How was the trip? Did you see the IJ Stunt Spectacular?

Joe Brody

SKAbatula said:
Saw that you posted elsewhere on the boards. Welcome back!

How was the trip? Did you see the IJ Stunt Spectacular?

Unfortunately, I did not make it to MGM to see the show. It came down to two things -- (i) there's only really two attractions at MGM for young girls, so my wife and I decided that the bus ride out to the park wasn't worth the effort, and (ii) we actually cut the trip short because my younger girl got an ear infection and wasn't sleeping or eating all that much. I'm a bit bummed out because I love walking the streets in the front part of MGM (the Hollywood streets) and my favorite restaraunt in all of Walt Disney World is the Brown Derby -- but heh, the trip wasn't about me. And when a little kid gets sick, the best thing for them is to get them home and in their own bed.

We did, however, log a lot of time in the Magic Kingdom (which was more crowded than I would've liked due to the cheerleading competition hosted every year by Disney) and in the Animal Kingdom (I love the theming in the Africa and Asia sections of the Park). My girls spent a lot of time with various characters -- you name a character meal or live entertainment like the Hoopty Doo Review and we were there (and Dad even got his photo with his favorite, Mary Poppins). Over the weekend, I'd get the family to bed around 9:00 and my wife cut let me cut loose alone in the Magic Kingdom. My favorite non-family related memory was on two successive nights riding a near-empty big Thunder Mountain Railroad during the fireworks.

In a way I did get my Indiana Jones fix. Every morning I would turn on the TV in our room in the Contemporary. The default channel was the typical resort/hotel station with mundane daily announcements. Presumably, thanks to the Stunt Spectacular and the Star Wars Ride in MGM, every morning I heard large chunks of the soundtracks from Raiders and Empire Strikes Back.

Indy Hussar

Hi fellow Indy enthusiasts, new member here.
My kids and I were in WDW the week of the cheerleader competition, my 14 year old son was in heaven. My 12 year old and I went to MGM and saw the stunt show twice. It was the same show we saw 4 years ago. We both still loved it.

Tennessee R

Welcome, Indy Hussar!!!
And I wish you many happy years of adventure at the Raven.

So, where are you near in Alabama? I'm 27 miles north of the state line in Tennessee, and most of my family grew up in the Selma, and Montgomery areas.

I've been once, to the stunt show, and they had the pick-the-people-out-of-the-audience thing, and Marion and a professional showed how to hit someone without hitting them. And the truck blew up, etc. etc.
It was pretty neat.

i gotta say i went to disneyworld once .and got there (show) late cuz of my little siblings so we didnt enter and i havent seen it, is it that good? i bet it is, at least disney has always done great live shows :whip:

Luisiana Jones said:
i havent seen it, is it that good? i bet it is,

I'd say it is! I went to see it in 2001 and I wasn't an Indy fan then. I didn't see the movies until a few months later. So even though I wasn't interested in Indy back then, I did love the stunt show a lot and I know I wanna see it again, this time as a fan. :)

Last edited:

Indy Parise

I know it's supposed to be based on Raiders but it's not much like raiders, for one, The floor traps didn't trigger spikes, also there weren't those statues that drop the axe. But its fun anyway

Agent Z

I had heard of this show in passing, but never had a chance to see it. I was doing a search for something else on YT and came across this clip:

Part 1- Temple Escape.

Pretty cool! Of course, they have a bunch of other clips on YT as well, including a recreation of the fight with the German mechanic. :D

Has anyone gone to this show lately? Have they changed it much? It would be cool to check it out now that I see the clips.

My fedora goes off to the guys who work these shows, doing all those stunts and getting all those moves and lines down like that for probably several shows a day! (y)

DocWhiskey

I went to Disney World every year from the age of 3 to 12. And the Indy Stunt Spectacular was a must every year. It's fantastic. I remember we got to sit really close one time, and my mother filmed the whole show for me so I can watch it any time I want at home....and I still do.:)

I heard rumors a while back saying they were going to incorporate some KotCS stunts, but i doubt that's true. I haven't been there in over 7 years. I HAVE to go back one day.

Agent Z

DocWhiskey said:
I went to Disney World every year from the age of 3 to 12. And the Indy Stunt Spectacular was a must every year. It's fantastic. I remember we got to sit really close one time, and my mother filmed the whole show for me so I can watch it any time I want at home....and I still do.:)

I heard rumors a while back saying they were going to incorporate some KotCS stunts, but i doubt that's true. I haven't been there in over 7 years. I HAVE to go back one day.

Man, I could see the sword fighting making its way into the show. That would be pretty cool! A lot of the set pieces we have seen from the KOTCS have been BIG, and would be tough to do in live show.

I'll be happy just to see what's already been there all along though. :whip:

xfkirsten

DocWhiskey said:

So far as I know, there's no changes to it coming in the immediate future. :( And given the speed of the Disney Cast Member rumor mill, if there were changes coming, we'd all probably already know by now. :p

nezobiwan

xfkirsten said:
So far as I know, there's no changes to it coming in the immediate future. :( And given the speed of the Disney Cast Member rumor mill, if there were changes coming, we'd all probably already know by now. :p

Not to mention the accuracy of said mill. :p

I'm actually going to Disney's Hollywood Studios (formerly "MGM." I don't know if I'll ever get used to the new name) tonight for a special event. While I don't think I'll watch the stunt show this evening, I'm definitely hitting up the gift shop! Whoot! :gun:

Niteshade007

nezobiwan said:
I'm actually going to Disney's Hollywood Studios (formerly "MGM." I don't know if I'll ever get used to the new name) tonight for a special event. While I don't think I'll watch the stunt show this evening, I'm definitely hitting up the gift shop! Whoot! :gun:

Ha, cool. My mom's 8th grade class is going tomorrow for Grad Jam (a night for 8th graders, although now I think that seems kinda silly to point that out, lol). My dad, sister, and I are going up and staying for the weekend too, just not going to the park Friday night, since we don't have tickets. The stunt show is something I try not to miss if I'm there. My favorite things at MGM are the Indy stunt show and Muppet Vision 3-D.

EDIT: I just realized I still call it MGM...oops. Bad Disney fan, bad Disney fan.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Niteshade007 said:
Ha, cool. My mom's 8th grade class is going tomorrow for Grad Jam (a night for 8th graders, although now I think that seems kinda silly to point that out, lol). My dad, sister, and I are going up and staying for the weekend too, just not going to the park Friday night, since we don't have tickets. The stunt show is something I try not to miss if I'm there. My favorite things at MGM are the Indy stunt show and Muppet Vision 3-D.

EDIT: I just realized I still call it MGM...oops. Bad Disney fan, bad Disney fan.

Good Disney fan, good Disney fan.