For and Against Young Indy

Raiders90

For

-In some episodes, such as the "Masks of Evil" episode, SPF as Young Indy bears some of the cynicism and bad mood of the older self of the character as played by Ford
-Many of the CC episodes have the same mischevious, cunning Indy we all love
-SPF's Indy's mannerisms in quite a few are the same as Ford
-We see where Indy and Henry broke apart, and we saw how Indy became the cynical guy by the trilogy

Against

-SPF's Indy doesn't act as edgy as Ford's
-He definately isn't as street wise as Ford's Indy is
-On several occaisons, he acts with disgust towards exotic food or bugs, whereas Indy as shown in Temple has no qualms with eating bugs in order not to people of other cultures
-He's too naive and too goofy
-No scrubble!

Firstly what's scrubble? Is that a ghetto version of the popular board game Scrabble?

I don't remember seeing Indy eating bugs in Temple of Doom.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
He probably means stubble.

Indy ate bugs at the Mayapore village. More food than those people eat in a week.

Raiders112390 said:
-SPF's Indy doesn't act as edgy as Ford's

That's because he's still a teenager, what do you expect? Weren't we all like that?

-He definately isn't as street wise as Ford's Indy is

He was and he wasn't. He was in some ways, very quick on his feet, espcially during the war. But again he was a teenager, still had lots to learn.

-On several occaisons, he acts with disgust towards exotic food or bugs, whereas Indy as shown in Temple has no qualms with eating bugs in order not to people of other cultures

Honestly I don't remember this, though I haven't seen all of the YI stuff. But I do know he does know how to interact with different people, though many times he thinks some things are really strange.

-He's too naive and too goofy

I really hate going back to the teenager point, but he is. Everyone is naive and thinks they know everything when they are a teenager. Hell lots of people still do as adults. Indy on the other hand learned to know he didn't know everything.

I've only gotten as far as the start of the war, though I have seen one or two otherwise. And you can see Indy grow throughout. I remember when the show first came out, I didn't want to see any of it, so I didn't. It wasn't until years later when they had redone them and made then two hours long that I saw some of them. Now I wish I hadn't been so naive, you know being a teenager and all, and watched them when they first came out.

DarthLowBudget

Fair points all around. I really wish people would understand that people (even fictional characters) don't act the same as teenagers as they do as adults.

JK_Antwon

I must agree that in the show he's a kid, so lay off. I personally was a kid, when it came out, and I loved it! seeing the great Indiana Jones as a normal kid like me (except for the part that he travels the world) was awsome! Also keep in mind how Lucas thinks. alot of stuff is for kids, and the tv show really showed that. thats my 2 cents anyway.

The Adventurer

I am for Young Indiana Jones Chronicles...It is a good thing. Sure, the trilogy movies are much more great, but Young Indy is a great series and more succesful in my eyes that many other TV series...

Viper

Well, I haven't seen most of the YIC, but I'll buy them when they come out anyway. If I don't like them, they are still good for the collection:)

Scott Clements

Sean Patrick Not True To Character But I Still Liked The Series

It is very weird how unlike Ford Sean Patrick Flannery was. He was much more like Luke Skywalker than Indy. However, he was very likeable and starred in some great Indy adventures, especially 'The Phantom Train of Doom'. It is strange how George Lucas decided to depict him. Sometimes I wonder if Lucas even remembers his own films. However, I'm defintiely for the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles starring Sean Patrick Flannery. The Corey Carrier episodes were just dumb and a huge mistake. I will definitely be purchasing the series on DVD when it finally comes out.

Matinee Idyll

I adored the series, loved it every bit as much as the films.

Ok, perhaps I was spoiled with my first two Young Indys being Curse of the Jackal and Austria 1917 - but the action quotient was high, when action was y'know, justified? - not just plonking unnecessary fights in when they wouldn't be needed.

In an episode like London 1916, which still gets the tears welling up in m'eyes (shutup Clinton, it's fantastic ;)) there's simply no need for Indy to be beating people up most of the time. Which is fine by me - he's 17 for gods sake.

That's one of my favourite 45 minutes of television ever, London 1916 - easily Liz Hurleys best performance ever (given she's basically playing herself, but she does it beautifully). It's freakin' wonderful, moving stuff. The scene in the restaurant with Holsts "Jupiters Theme" playing is so, so powerful. Beautifully acted. Perfect television.

Reading through the comments regarding Young Indy, I'm kinda disgusted by alot of people's attitudes. Do many Indy fans have the attention spans of 3 year olds? Just because he's not killing people every 5 minutes doesn't mean it's boring, or 'not in the spirit of Indy'. Sure, a number of the episodes were quite ****, but when it was on the ball;

Verdun, The Somme, East Africa (1908 and 1917), London, Ireland, Curse of the Jackal, Austria, Petrograd, Princeton, Mystery of the Blues, all the Paris ones, Attack of the Hawkmen, Travels with Father, Palestine, etc, etc. There are alot of beautiful episodes.

These were wonderful 'adventures' (and I'm talking about the Chronicles here, not the re-edited abominations) - which should be seperated from 'action'. It was never an action show, and it shouldn't have been. Get off your high horses.

I started watching and taping this show when I was 10 - it means a heck of a lot to me. It took me places I'd never seen, and may never be - it was wonderful for me to associate with an Indy around my age. I learnt so much from the program, it really kicked off my interest in 20th century history, of which I am still intensely fascinated to this day.

Some embarrasing episodes (personally I thought Phantom Train despite being 'actiony' was quite poor, Transylvania, Hollywood Follies - real dreck) shouldn't tarnish what was quite often a brilliant show.

I'm all for Young Indy. Adore it.

Sankara

My opinion:

The Star Wars Episodes I,II,II are nothing for "true" Star Wars-Fans!

And the "Young Indy Chronicles" ist nothing for "true" Indy-Fans.

Grizzlor

Sankara said:
My opinion:

The Star Wars Episodes I,II,II are nothing for "true" Star Wars-Fans!

And the "Young Indy Chronicles" is nothing for "true" Indy-Fans.

Good analogy, although I would add that in the case of Indy, both are very separate entities, which is what we like. In Star Wars, they are supposed to be wrapped into the same story, which resulted in George messing up the original films.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I agree with most of Matinee's points. That's mostly coz I was little kid when it was first on tv and grew up with it. All teenagers have the moments of brightness and goofyness and that is what's there. I love the series, there are moments I can certainly relate to and there's a lot of wonderful scenery of the world in the series. And it was a Hungarian director for the vast majority of the series so there is that Hungarian background biased in me.

The Adventurer

In my opinion...the comparation between Indiana Jones movies and Young Indy is not just...you see, the movies are great, but they are movies...the Young Indy is a TV series... we can compare Young Indy with other adventure TV series...not with the movies which are far more great...and from that point of view I watch Young Indy with relish. Much better in my opinion for example, than "Relic Hunter" with Tia Carrere as Sydney Fox...so I say again...I am for Young Indy!...and yes...the Indiana Jones movies are other thing than The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles TV series...

Scott Clements

George Lucas always said 'Young Indy' wasn't supposed to be like the films at all and more along the lines of a show like 'The Wonder Years'. I think 'Young Indy' was the last good thing Lucas did. The show had a lot of love and integrity put into it and it shows. It would perhaps have been better with a more Harrison Ford-like lead, but Sean Patrick Flannery was like-able in his own unique way. The best episodes were definitely the WW I ones.

whipple

Hmmm. I can honestly say I hated it when it first aired... After reading your opinions I look forward to revisiting it when it comes out to dvd.