The Young Marcus Brody Chronicles

HovitosKing

In ROTLA, Marcus comments that "Five years ago I would have gone after the ark myself," leading one to believe that Brody was quite the adventurer extraordinaire in his day.

I for one would like to see a TV series based on the adventures of young(er) Marcus Brody. I think it'd be great...

Webley

HovitosKing this is a grate idea. In The Young Marcus Brody TV series you could have a cameo with young Abner Ravenwood.

Joe Brody

Interesting idea.

Although I think a Young Marcus Chronicles would have to have a different tact from the Young Indy Chronicles because both Indy and Marcus are pretty close in age and Indy pretty much met everyone from the turn of the century through the First World War. Using the first World War as an example, Marcus would have been the right age to serve as a mid-level officer, say a captain or major. . . .and this is a war where Indy saw extensive action as a junior officer.

Going a little further back, I think that Marcus would have been just too young to fight in the Boer War along Winston Churchill or to have gone on a journey to the Inner Station ala Heart of Darkness (Imperiallism's heyday). However, I could see Marcus doing a great stint as a soldier-of-the-Empire ala George Orwell:

http://www.online-literature.com/orwell/887/

[If you haven't read 'Shooting an Elephant' I highly recommend it. I think it's one of the great works on human perception.]

Bottom line, since the Marcus Brody character is really not that much older than Indy it would be very hard to capture a different age. I personally subscribe to the Marcus as adventurer camp and I'd like to think of him out having adventures -- but those stories would likely have to draw from the same historical figures that appeared in YIC (I'd guess that Marcus was the same age or only had a few years on T.E. Lawrence) and it would be a challenge to come up with novel ideas -- without going in a different direction: for example Marcus as more cerebral (rather than swashbuckling adventurer). I could live with that but how exciting would it be?

HovitosKing

No way. Marcus is closer to Henry, Sr. in age.

The People's 1:

In LC, Marcus tells Indy he watched him grow up and had never seen him so concerned about his father before.

The People's 2:

In LC, Marcus and Henry, Sr. have a recollective moment when Henry enters the tank to rescue Marcus:

HENRY
"Genius of the Restoration-"

Now BRODY tugs his ears, flaps his arms and touches his head.

BRODY
"-aid our own resuscitation!"

They exchange a handshake.

Seems like something old friends would do, not people from differing generations.

I can gather more evidence, but I think this should suffice. Marcus and Henry, Sr. are similar in age. Indy is much younger than Marcus (who seemingly played a father figure role to Indy in Henry's absence).

Joe Brody

I hear you Hovitosking . . . I did a bad job of making my point, which is that since YIC starts telling tales with a very young Indiana Jones, there's not a lot of material (or historical figures left) for a Marcus in his prime. Unless if you want to assume that Marcus had similar adventures during his teens, Marcus's priime adventure years (during his twenties) significantly overlap with the years shown in the YIC, notably WWI.

HovitosKing

I'm thinking of the window of time between Brody's graduating college and ending up as curator of the museum (where we find him in Raiders).

During his career, he could have embarked on any number of Imperial expeditions not associated with major historical events or people.

I'd like to see him as an associate of Dr. David Livingstone, exploring the dark continent in search of the source of the Nile.

Anyway, not that this will ever happen, but it would be brilliant. And there are lots of options for adventures, I think.

Indydan13

Of course they wouldn't, Lucas would't spend time or money on something Star Wars Related. I hope he at least makes indy 4.

Twilightpro101

I think it's an interesting concept but I prefer it strictly be related to Indy and his father, dealing with how they all met and became friends. It's the usual, I know, but the bond between each of them is so great.

qwerty

What happened whit this idea in the end? I like it. I would watch it. It would probably be better then YIJC.

IAdventurer01

I'm amazed at all these great topics that fell by the wayside before I participated in them, WHILE I WAS HERE! :dead:

With that off my chest, this idea is fascinating. Having seen YIJC at a very young age and never again, I can't say for sure, but this idea I think has the potential to be better than young Indy.

The adventures would probably be a bit less violent, with a bit more intrigue than the Indy style we know. But all-in-all, this has the workings of an excellent storyline.

(Watch out, Star Wars! We're expanding our universe, too.) :whip:

Johan

IAdventurer01 said:
I'm amazed at all these great topics that fell by the wayside before I participated in them, WHILE I WAS HERE! :dead:

:

Actually I remember someone bringing this up a few years ago at the Raven. I don't remember if there was a full thread on it but I know someone mentioned it.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Johan said:
Actually I remember someone bringing this up a few years ago at the Raven. I don't remember if there was a full thread on it but I know someone mentioned it.
This thread was started about 3 years ago...