San Diego Comic Con (SDCC) General Discussion

Sorcerer009

Seriously, am I the only one who is disappointed by Hasbro's lackluster "preview" of the upcoming Indiana Jones Waves at Comic-Con last weekend?

Sure they built a pretty sweet diorama set to display the figures we've already seen...but according to the past Q&A's, where were the displays for the future waves.

All we got was a slideshot of five new action figures for January, and while they all look great, I would've prefered to have seen them displayed (if not with the others, then maybe in some sort of "coming soon" diorama).

Also aren't we getting six new figures in January? I thought Dietrich was confirmed as well. And what about the Ark w/ Ghost Deluxe set...or ANY upcoming deluxe set for that matter? And I'm not talking about those horrible "Battle Packs" with repackaged figures.

Sorry this has become a rant...I love this line of figures and I really do think Hasbro has done a great job...but I thought the point of Comic-Con was to "PREVIEW" upcoming toys...not show us ones that are already available.

I'll shut up now.

mister64

I'm afraid Hasbro's IJ line will not have the longevity we all are hoping for. Stores over-ordered the initial two waves and are hesitant to order subsequent waves (TLC and TOD). If they would put figures on sale (3 for 2, 25% off, 2 for 1, etc), I'm sure they could clear out the backlog to make room for the new figures.

I will be happy if Hasbro does one wave for each film in 2009.

I assume Dietrich will be added to the ROTLA wave but just wasn't shown at Comic Con.

If they continue with 6 figures per wave, I'd like to see:

TOD:
Indy Tux
Lao Che
Willie (Club Obi-Wan outfit)
Lao Che's thug
Lao Che's son (skewered?)
Wu Han (Indy's friend who is killed)

(I'd love an Earl Weber/Dan Aykroyd figure, but I doubt that would happen unless the line lasted 5-6 years)

TLC:
Marcus Brody (he MUST be made before the line ends)
Donovan (also a "must make" figure)
Indy "No Ticket" scene or Professor Indy w/ removable hat
Elsa Venice outfit or Sallah with removable fez
Panama Hat (guy Indy takes Cross of Coronado from on ship)
Kazim (Brotherhood of Cruciform)

(Fedora would be a good choice but I'd rather see a new character-we can use a removable hat Indy to stand in for Fedora)

KOTCS:
Mac
Oxley
Indy professor (removable hat) or in jacket (with permanant hat)
Marion
Charles Stanforth (probably wouldn't be made as he is just a Brody stand-in) or Dovchenko in American outfit
Russian in American outfit or FBI agent (suit) or KGB agent (suit)

(Hasbro, please notice how there is no Mutt figure listed. Everyone who wants one has bought the jacket figure, if they really liked him they bought the shirt one too)

DetectiveFork

mister64 said:
(Hasbro, please notice how there is no Mutt figure listed. Everyone who wants one has bought the jacket figure, if they really liked him they bought the shirt one too)

And if you really, really liked him, you can buy the upcoming deluxe Mutt with motorcycle.

I really want to see another Belloq figure in normal clothes, but if Dietrich is going to be in the next Raiders wave, I doubt that's gonna happen. I would personally prefer a better Belloq to a Dietrich, but would love to have both.

mister64

I'd like a suited Belloq as well, as I don't really want to buy the ceremony Belloq just to get a Belloq figure.

It would be great if Hasbro would put a suit Belloq into the ROTLA 2009 wave (use the same body mold for Marcus and Donovan if it will get them to make those figures) and then get Dietrich in a deluxe pack with an ark ghost or two.

Luke Skywalker

mister64 said:
(Fedora would be a good choice but I'd rather see a new character-we can use a removable hat Indy to stand in for Fedora)

removable hat indy? Nope since that is the only who resembles ford :D

Any Raiders indy could pass for fedora, specially, in my opinion, Horse Indy.

mister64

Luke Skywalker said:
removable hat indy? Nope since that is the only who resembles ford :D

Any Raiders indy could pass for fedora, specially, in my opinion, Horse Indy.

To reenact the scene where he gives Young Indy the hat, you need the removable hat one.

But you're right, it does look to much like Ford. I saw a picture in the custom thread on this site of removable hat Indy with a Han Solo head, and that looked a lot like Fedora. So you could always do that I guess.

Lambonius

Spalkomania said:
That poster of all the figures is great. Is there another way to obtain it?

I'd like to know this as well. The lighting in particular is really eye-catching and makes the figures look truly dynamic.

@ mister64: Hasbro has already confirmed Donovan for a 2009 LC wave. In the Hasbro Q&A someone pointed out that the body of the GI Joe Cobra Commander looked an awful lot like Donovan's suit from LC, and Hasbro confirmed that they were indeed going to do a Donovan figure from that same mold. You'd have to sift through the "New Indy Answer from Hasbro" thread to find the exact quote, but it's there, I assure you. Here's a pic from the Hasbro toyshop website. Imagine this body without the podium and with Donovan's head. ;)

690921524fe1_Main400.jpg

mister64

Lambonius said:
I'd like to know this as well. The lighting in particular is really eye-catching and makes the figures look truly dynamic.

@ mister64: Hasbro has already confirmed Donovan for a 2009 LC wave. In the Hasbro Q&A someone pointed out that the body of the GI Joe Cobra Commander looked an awful lot like Donovan's suit from LC, and Hasbro confirmed that they were indeed going to do a Donovan figure from that same mold. You'd have to sift through the "New Indy Answer from Hasbro" thread to find the exact quote, but it's there, I assure you. Here's a pic from the Hasbro toyshop website. Imagine this body without the podium and with Donovan's head. ;)

690921524fe1_Main400.jpg

That's great news about Donovan!

If Hasbro is hesitant about making an FBI agent or KGB agent or Brody, they could use that same body and just sculpt new heads.

inky_skin

mister64 said:
That's great news about Donovan!

If Hasbro is hesitant about making an FBI agent or KGB agent or Brody, they could use that same body and just sculpt new heads.

Donovan would be the second reuse of this tooling, as we now know from the Wave 5 pics that Cobra Commander will be used as the base for Toht.

inky_skin

Does anyone know if the Cobra Commander figure has an imprint of the Ra headpiece on his hand ? Or can we expect a new head(s) and hands for Toht (or is this too small a detail for Hasbro to consider ?)

vf wing

Didn't the original Toht figure have a scarred hand? Since they're separately molded pieces, i could definitely see getting a unique Toht hand.

That's a very curious mention of the CC body being the base for any Indy figure, as the construction of each is quite functionally different. I guess with this particular Joe fig being an exclusive, they might have gone with a different construction for him.

Does anybody own one of these pieces or been able to see it up close? My guess is next to no one's seen him out of the package.

ChromiumBlue37

I will bet that the design for Cobra Commander came after the original sculpting for Toht. Of course the hands all pop off. Toht himself hay even come with interchangeable hands. One flat with the fingers flat showing the palm with burned image.

I think Donovan has buttons on the lower part of his coat.

Kooshmeister

My only issue with Donovan being made using the Toht mold is that the business suit is double-breasted. The only double-breasted suit I remember Donovan wearing in LC was the tuxedo in his first scene (and he wore a bowtie with that, whereas the Toht mold has a regular necktie).

His suit at Castle Brunwald was open front with a vest; his suit at the end was single-breasted with pockets on both the left and right breast and a sash/belt. I know to some a suit and tie is just a suit and tie, but....eh, call me a stickler for authenticity.

Also, where is poor Dietrich? He was the first '09 Raiders figure to be confirmed by Hasbro and he's a no-show! :(

Last edited:

ChromiumBlue37

Maybe the torso components are interchangeable. Seperate pieces, (existing and new), that Hasbro can assemble into the perfect Donovan.

Remember last year that the German Soldier was shown seperately from the original ROTA wave 1. Hopefully, Hasbro will offer a more general announcement for us with larger pictures. They also "owe us" a Q & A session!

Kooshmeister

ChromiumBlue37 said:
Maybe the torso components are interchangeable. Seperate pieces, (existing and new), that Hasbro can assemble into the perfect Donovan.

Admittedly, I hadn't thought of that. Now that I think about it, they could retool the bottom portion of Toht's jacket to be single-breasted.

ChromiumBlue37 said:
Remember last year that the German Soldier was shown seperately from the original ROTA wave 1. Hopefully, Hasbro will offer a more general announcement for us with larger pictures.

I hope so, 'cause Dietrich is my most-wanted figure at the moment, simply because he's always overlooked - and because he'd be an easy retool for Gobler or a generic Raiders-era Nazi officer; new head and repaint the epaulettes and voila, instant new figure(s)!