12" Indy (Hasbro, but better)

KSC2-303

I made this tutorial to show that the Hasbro figures while flawed, can really shine with a little effort put forth. I also directed this towards those who may never have attempted any customizations in the past, so some terms that are second nature to those already familiar with the process, may seem over explained.

So, you really want the 12" scale mail-away Ark, but you think the Hasbro figures suck, right? And you don't want to steal the stickers, right?! Well, with a little bit of work, you'll be half way home to getting one and have a fairly decent 12" scale Indy to display until your Sideshow version ships in the fall.

What you'll need:

1 Indiana Jones Talking figure
1 Indiana Jones Whipping Action figure
1 Sheet of fine 800-1000 grit sand paper
1 old terry cloth towel or polo shirt (something rougher than a t-shirt)
1 fine sanding pad or stick (available at most hobby shops)
A paint brush and some paints. (black/brown/white/yellow)
2 paper clips
Small screwdriver
Xacto knife

Jacket from Talking Indy
Shoes From Talking Indy
Belt from either
Holster from either
Coiled whip from Talking Indy
Shirt from Talking Indy
Pants from either

First thing you want to do is take the jacket off your Talking Indy. What you want to do here is take out some of the stiffness that's only natural with new vinyl. Since you can't wear it, you'll have to carry it, scrunch it, throw it, twist it, step on it, whatever it takes to wear it in a bit. This may sound odd, but I actually folded it up and crammed it in my back pocket for the day while at work. Make sure to take it out every now and again and fold it over in a different direction. You can even work the fabric with your fingers for a while whenever you get the chance. The softer the better. This will make all the difference in the end. When clothing in this scale looks stiff or doesn't drape off the figure properly, it's going to look like cheap.

When you get home it's time to grab the sand paper and sticks. First thing you want to do is lightly sand the surface of the jacket with the 800-1000 grit sand paper. This will alleviate some of the gloss and make the "leather" more pliable. It will also allow the paints to adhere to the fabric better. When you're done with that, take the sand pad/stick and rub it briskly over the areas of the jacket that are raised. This would include all edges of the waist, collar, cuffs, and pockets. Basically anywhere that would become worn first on a real leather jacket. Be careful not to sand too hard or you may wind up sanding down to the black material on the reverse side of the pleather. Also be mindful during this process. You don't want to rip through the material or fray any of the stitching to the point where the seems could come undone.

You can see the difference here. The right side has been sanded.

jacsand.jpg

When that's done it's time to start painting. Fill a bowl with water and mix your paints. You want to come up with a "muddy color" something inbetween a dark tan and light browninsh yellow. Something like this:

paints.jpg

You're going to apply what's called a wash over the flat surfaces of the jacket. Wet the brush and dip it into the paint. You want the paint to be very thin. similar to water colors. Now with jacket in hand and that old towel near by, begin to lightly move the brush over the surface. Quickly wipe the area dry with the towel. I would suggest doing a color test first on the inside lapel. This way you can judge whether or not your colors are correct or if your paint is too thick/thin. If it looks like you painted it (ie brush strokes are showing), it's too thick. If it looks like nothing has changed, then your paint is too thin. Too thin is obviously better that too thick. You can always go over the area again. In fact I would suggest a few coats to get the optimal effect.

When you're happy with the results, it's time to move on to the egdes you sanded with the sticks. You're basically doing the same thing only this time you can use a slightly thicker paint mixture. Gently glide the brush over the ditressed areas and wipe it away. You'll begin to see that the ditressing you did earlier will pick the paint up much easier than the sleaves and back.

Once the weathering is completed. Go back and check your work. If you're happy with it, it's time to move onto the next step. If you feel it's not "worn in" enough, go back and repeat the process. If you applied too much paint. Wet your towel and rub the area in a circular motion. If you haven't gone too overboard, the paint should gradually fade.

What you're looking for is something like this:

indyjacket.jpg

Now hold the jacket in font of you and close it like in the photo below. Close a heavy book over it and stick it under something. Like the couch.

book.jpg

What you're trying to acheive here is to break in the stiffness of the colar so that it draps over the shoulders more naturally. Leave it there for a few hours or overnight.

Next up are the accessories. Shoes, belt, holster, whip, and eventually the hat. Set up your paints again. This time you're going to do something called "dry brushing" it's pretty much the opposite of the "wash" we did for the jacket. Again, mix your paints. Try to get the same "mud" and leave some extra black and white to the side of the pallet. Dip your brush in the paints, but this time instead of thinning it with water, you want to rub your brush on the towl or dry section of palet until you remove virtually ALL of the paint.

Let's start with the shoes. I'm using the ones from the Talking Indy as they are already molded in a darker brown plastic. You then want to take this dry brush and rub it over the surface of the part you're working on. Focus on the laces and stitching fist. This will make the sculpt POP and look much more realistic than the shiney plastic you're leaving behind.

boots.jpg

Repeat the process with the rest of the parts. Mix it up little though with different shades of browns and blacks. You don't want everything to look like the same leather. I went with a darker wash over the holster and just straight black over the belt and whip.

Note: Drybrushing takes some practice so you may want to do some testing on an older action figure. Don't forget, even if you mess up, you do have an extra of everything needed from the talking Indy figure. You shouldn't have too hard a time though. Making something look older is infinitly easier and fool proof that attempting to make an older piece look new again.

Next you want to work on the bag. Grab your sand paper/sticks/pad and just go over it making sure to focus on the edges. Indy would never carry around a new bag, right? So make it look the part. This peice is really well made and quite sturdy, so don't be afraid to get a bit aggressive, but don't go too nuts or you may end up ripping it. I also went over the gold details in the snaps as well with the fine sand paper to dull the shine a bit.

bag.jpg

Assmuning a few hours have passed get your jacket out of the book. Take the two paper clips and clip them onto the jacket as shown. This will help to avoid the lapels from opening up too wide over Indy's chest when adorned.

clips.jpg

Now on to the hat. Drybrushing again. Repeath the the above steps you used for the accessories. Use your "mud" color as a first coat. Now paint the hat band black. You can either go with a straight up mixture of paint if you feel confident or gently drybrush with the tip until you cover the entire area. Using the drybrush method is easier as you'll be less prone to slop outside the lines. Finally do a VERY dry pass in black or grey over the entire peice. Pay attention to raised and recessed areas again. Raised should be lighter and recessed darker. Just like on real leather.

hatback.jpg

KSC2-303

------------SKIP THIS SECTION IF USING AN SA BODY-------------------

I was talking with Mike Crawford who suggested using a SA body for more dynamic poses, but he warned that the chest on those bodies were more streamlined and may make the clothing look bulky. Still, this can be attempted for those wanting their Indy to display in a more action oriented pose. All that would be required here is a body from a GI Joe or the German Soldier/Cairo Swordsman from the same line. Be aware further painting to match skin tones to Indy's head and a swap of said head is required for this option.

I prefer a more static standing display option, so using the existing whipping Indy body is fine here. However, you're going to need to get rid of the button on his back that activates the action feature as it will protrude and give your Indy a hunchback. Also be advised you won't be able to use that feature any longer. You have two options here. One, take some heavy wire cutters and snip it as close to the base as possible. Or two, get a small screwdriver and open up the back.

If you opt for option two, you'll need to pop the head off first. Just grab it by the face making sure not to bend the hat brim and pull upwards. It will pop right off. Then, locate the 5 screws on the back of the figure and remove them. Open the chest/crotch area and you'll see something like this:

insides.jpg

Under the white plastic peice is the button you want to get rid of. Simply remove the 4 screws on that peice and slide out the button. Then put everything back together in reverse order.

nobutton.jpg

Note: By removing the button in back, you will also be severing the connection that allows Indy's arm to click into place over his head. Again, we won't be using the whipping feature any longer, but by removing this button completely you are essentially making the arms only display option to hang at his side.

Because we used the whipping Indy body, the right wrist due to the action feature is not only limp, but also a bit longer than his left. In order to make them match up. simply replace the lower section of his arm with that of the talking Indy.

Grab the figure in one hand and pull straight down at the elbow to remove the lower arm. Repeat on the other figure. Now take the bicep from the talking Indy and gently wiggle into the socket of the body we're using.

arm.jpg

Note: You're probably wondering why I didn't just swap the entire arm out when the back was open while removing the button. While this would have been the optimal soultion as it would have added another point of articulation (the right shoulder), it simply wasn't possible. The mechanism in the back of the whipping Indy required a completely different sculpt and the full talking Indy arm wouldn't fit into the whipping Indy body correctly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally it's time to dress him back up. TUCK IN THE SHIRT, button the pants, fasten all belts and accessories, then put on the coat.

As additional touch, I would suggest removing the metal snaps on the front of the pants. The velcro is more than sufficient in keeping them in place and it looks a bit odd due to it's thickness. Carefully take your razor knife and gently snip the threads that hold the snaps in place. They will come right off.

dezipped.jpg

As I said the velcro will do fine on it's own. This will also allow the belt to fit better.

Time to put it all togther. I used the shirt from the Talking Indy as I prefered the cleaner look. Tuck it in, close the velcro over the pants, fasten the belt, put on the shoes, jacket, whip, holster, ect.

Now it's just a matter of futzing with the figure and getting everything to look just right.

fin1.jpg

fin2.jpg

fin4.jpg

fin3.jpg

indycustom1.jpg

fin5.jpg

That's it. I know that MANY people in the past have made amazing 1/6 scale Indy customs from cast heads, Dragon bodies, and an assortment of kitbashed parts. Although I was tempted to do additional modifications, I wanted to see if something better could be made from only the materials supplied by Hasbro. Feel free to expand upon this tutorial to make your Indy even better.

So there you have it. I'm pleased with the results and am halfway to getting my Ark. Now all I have to do is justify a reason to buy two more figures. I'll save that for another day...

hemble

(y) (y) On this you have made a plain simple figure 100% better I especially like the shoes they have got great detail for a hasbro item.

Also with the jacket is it a thick or thin material?

Ron

Billy Ray

Awesome tutorial, thanks! I have customized a few 1/6 figures over the years...my first, was of course, Indy. I have been on the fence about picking up the 12" Hasbro figures ( I have Sideshow's and Medicom's preordered), but seeing yours may have convinced me to at least pick up the two Indys.

I actually saw a "whip cracking Indy" yesterday that had a really nice paint job and had a really hard time putting him back on the shelf...maybe I'll go see if he's still there. One thing that really bothers me about the Hasbro Indys is how the buttons are printed on the shirt, rather than being real buttons...will defintiely have to do something about that if I decide to pull the trigger and pick them up.

Of course, if I pick up two Indys, then I am half way to the Ark (like you said) and then will have to pick up two other figures...:rolleyes:

KSC2-303

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

hemble: The jacket is pretty thin actually. Not so much that it feels fragile, but definitely not as thick as it looks on the figure in it's original state. New vinyl especially in a jacket of this scale is gonna come off as bulky. It actually has some elasticity to it as well. I was pretty surprised the "treatment" I gave it softened up so much, actually. I had never attempted anything like that before.

Billy Ray: Yes, the paint on the whipping Indy is a biggie. So many of the ones I've seen look like he's wearing eye liner. I was lucky enough to find one that was pretty tame in comparison.

I couldn't agree more about the buttons. Especially the fact that they are printed on both halves of the shirt! So even if you wanted to throw a simple stitch of thread in there to close up the shirt more, you'd actually be covering up a "button" with a "button hole". Going the extra step and finding a small matching button would be a great idea. As I said I tried to keep the customization to a bare minimum, but there are plently of areas that could use an added special touch here and there to really bring it home.

...then will have to pick up two other figures...

LOL, tell me about it! I dunno weither I should pick up two more Whipping Indys and do a TOD (ripped shirt) and possibly Map Room versions or just go for the German and Cairo Swordsman?? The only other choice is wait for Dovchenko, I guess?

The_Raiders

Wow man! That's impressive work! I acually didn't want either of hasbros fiugres and even though I ordered a SideShow Indy, I think I may get hasbros now any way and make my own custom one. :hat:

hemble

Thanks for letting me know about the jacket I'll have to go and find a few of them now, and again great work.

Ron

KSC2-303

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I've always been a defender of Hasbro 12" through their Star Wars line. Sure, some were dreadful, but others for the price point, were pretty nice in my opinion. I was dissapointed when they discontinued them.

I'm gonna be starting on a Map Room Indy this weekend. I'll post up some pics when It's finished.

Last edited:

ILoooooveCamels

I'm with you, KS. High-end, photo-realistic stuff is great, but there's some real charm in Hasbro's good ol' fashioned toys that look and feel like toys. Besides providing the opportunity to do what you've done here, making your figure unique, it's comforting to have a figure you don't feel like you should keep sealed in a vault. Handling fragile collectibles just isn't worth the anxiety sometimes :D

KSC2-303

Exactly! Some of the things I own I'm afraid to even touch much less start cutting into it. Don't get me wrong, I love Sideshow stuff, but I would be much more reluctant to take a peice of sand paper to the jacket of a $90 figure!

I really hope they continue this line for at least another wave or two. They seem to be selling pretty well despite their shortcomings. Maybe it has to do with the sticker/Ark factor, I dunno? Still, it's nice to see something decent in this scale for a modest price again.