Customizing Indy Figures

inky_skin

Okay, so I went back and added some insignia to Dovchenko...

3768737672_79fb748630.jpg

Curse you all for giving me OCD !

Luke Sprywalker

The real Nepal thug

With all the hubub stirring last week I decided to call "my people" in Hong Kong and track down this Nepal Bar thug played by Pat Roach. They assured me the pictures I provided were fakes but a real one did exist. Since I have more money to spend on toys than there is sand in the desert I said I'll give you 8 million dollars for him...he said plus shipping...

DSC_0012-4.jpg

DSC_0013-2.jpg

DSC_0010-5.jpg

inky_skin

Awesome work Spry - that really captures the essence of the character (and unlike the 'hoaxer', you've given us some full pics). I can see some Sallah in there, but I'm at loss on the legs...care to share the recipe ('cos I'm totally ripping this off) ?

With my Marion and your thug, one of us is going to have to make The Raven eventually ! Toss for it ?

Pat Roach deserves as many figures as possible. I know it wasn't to be (and Igor was great as Dovchenko), but his presence was really missing from Crystal Skull. As far as I know, the only custom we haven't seen is his Gestapo Agent from LC...so get cracking !

*EDIT* Oh wait - are the legs from Owen Lars ?

Lance Quazar

Spry,

AWESOME Nepal thug! WOW!!! Another terrific, terrific figure.

Thanks for liberating this figure from Hasbro's dungeon. Heh.

We should be so lucky to get something this cool!

Kevin

Luke,

That looks great! Love sculpting job on the head. Also, unlike the hoax figure, you put the flame on the correct arm. I like it!

NickTurner

I've got where I've seen that face. It's Robert DeNiro right??

Great figure. My interpretation added a scarf - it's hard to see details in that scene even with DVD screen capture. Didn't think of adding a flame though. Nice touch!

Luke Sprywalker

Thanks guys, he has been in my bin for a while and seeing the fraud gave me inspiration the finish this one up. As little as we saw I'm saying it was a crappy custom, that's why we didn't se the whole figure. I have tried that GC head on so many figures and it is just too big for this custom. So I re did Pat's head from the TOD figure. The hat is just the turban dremeled down and it has a small bit of fixit around the brim and for the hair.

Inky, yes those are Owen's legs so you guessed all the parts.

Kevin, thanks and yea I made the flame part and put it on the right arm. I think the hoax figure had the fire on the wrong arm to hide the joint.

Nick, I didn't think anyone had made this figure yet. I would love to see your version. Yea this is a hard scene to figure out all the parts due to low lighting and quick action. I wish I had the screen capture software, man that would come in handy. Never seen a scarf before and I have watched this scene a few times...do you have a few pics to share?

NickTurner

I'm going to post my 'Raven heavies' interpretations first. (Apologies for the 'jungly' background! Not really appropriate for these figures.)

Raven_heavy2_1_medium.jpg

Raven_heavy_1_medium.jpg

Raven_heavy3_1_medium.jpg

NickTurner

However, it turns out I'm a real dummy. Luke Sprywalker asks if I can share some screen captures. Seems like a great idea right? So I pull up the files and as everyone knows this is a real dark scene and hard to make out details. So I brighten the images and put a little contrast on them and voila! NOW I am seeing all those details that I missed before. Doh!

Pat_heavy_SC_1.jpg

Pat_heavy_SC_2.jpg

So Luke, you are right in that the Pat Roach heavy does not have a scarf. So now I like your figure better than mine! And you used a real Pat head which is more accurate.

But now in the pictures above I see a cross strap of some kind that I never noticed before, and it seems his coat thingy is tucked into the wide belt. I'm going to do the other heavies too, then everyone can profit from my mistakes!

NickTurner

The next heavy:

Raven_thug2_SC_1.jpg

Raven_thug2_SC_2.jpg

Raven_thug2_SC_3.jpg

I guess he could be wearing a scarf, though it looks exaggerated in my figure now I can see these more clearly. You really started something here Luke!

NickTurner

Finally the little guy:

Raven_thug3_SC_1.jpg

Raven_thug3_SC_2.jpg

Raven_thug3_SC_3.jpg

Raven_thug3_SC_4.jpg

Again, he has a scarf or maybe just a high collar, but also again I can see his coat / waistcoat thingy is tucked into a wide belt. I missed that in the original very dark screen captures. Like I said, I'm kicking myself for not thinking of doing this earlier!

NickTurner

Might as well round off the heavies:

Raven_hat_1_medium.jpg

and the most famous of all:

Toht_1_medium.jpg

I actually have a problem with the coats of both of these - paint/clear coat is turning all sticky! You might see it happening already when I took these pictures and it's even worse now. Toht's coat was made using Super Sculpey. "Hat" has a 21st Century German soldier coat. Paint used was Tamiya acrylic matt black and the acrylic clear coat was Aervoe. The only thing I can think of, because I haven't had this problem elsewhere, is that the soft plastic used by 21st and the flexible, soft Super Sculpey (nearly abbreviated to SS there!) have a lot of plasticizers in them and that's reacting to the paint/clear coat. Has anyone else had similar problems? Can anyone suggest a cure? Will my customs turn into a pile of goo? (I suppose that would be appropriate for Toht...)

Luke Sprywalker

Oh thank you so much for these pics. Man you have messed up now, I'll be bugging you for more of these. Making the pics brighter is such a help, now I can finish the short guy I started. Here is my version of the taller one...

DSC_0023-1.jpg

Luke Sprywalker

Oh nice figures, I had seen those before. Nice Gestapo and a version of Toht you rarely see.Looks like a spy kids Dr. Phil looking guy body for him with Mutt arms. Nice job making the coat sorry to hear about your trouble with it. Get some testors Dull Coat ans spray it with that. It has helped me a few times with the softer plastic coats and things.

NickTurner

Wow that's nice. Makes mine look very toy-like, which I suppose is OK in its own way. Very professional paint job! I still struggle with figures, even having painted over 100 1/35 soldiers. I do look to the action figures as more 'fun' items though, so I'm not so worried about getting them perfect. I tried using epoxy putty on this one, as it dries rock hard, but it seems a little thick... I could carve it down some I suppose. (I see what George Lucas means when he says creations are never fully done...)

hemble

Spry- another very well executed figure and great paint apps

NickTurner - Don't sell yourself short mate your figures are great you should be proud to show them off, I've got some great ideas just looking at the figures.

Ron

NickTurner

Luke Sprywalker said:
Get some testors Dull Coat ans spray it with that. It has helped me a few times with the softer plastic coats and things.

Good tip. I washed the Toht first, mostly to get the dust off but figured it wouldn't hurt the stickiness and then used the clear coat. Have to be careful not to touch it before it is dry because the lacquer dissolves the paint, but it's cool now. I just hope it holds up over time.

I'll post new pictures when I get a chance to take them as I think the difference is visible.

NickTurner

hemble said:
[NickTurner - Don't sell yourself short mate your figures are great you should be proud to show them off, I've got some great ideas just looking at the figures.

Ron

Thanks mate! I guess I sounded a bit apologetic. I was bummed that the "research phase" was botched, but I can "see clearly now the rain has gone" and will try altering the figures to better match the screen costumes. I've done one and will post a picture of the update soon. The long "hippy hair" turned out to be a neck piece on the turban! So I gave him a haircut by carving off all the sculpted resin and added new cloth bits.

NickTurner

(*@##$%^&*()_@#$!@!#$%^&*(*@@!#$%^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No pictures.

Just got everything set up, pick up the camera which I had oh-so-carefully set down on the wall, strap catches the stone, jerks camera out of hand - Bam! Right on the concrete. Now all I got is black. 12 Mbytes worth, but all black. GRRRRR!

Now I have a worthless chunk of black plastic - unless I bury it for 1000 years...