Is any Indy film hard for you to watch for religious reasons?

blueoakleyz

As an atheist I'm surprised that Indy 1 and 3 never bothered me... I think cuz i grew up with them. I don't believe in the mythos of course, but I know it's fiction.

Temple always seemed different, much more fictional, probably because it's not from a religion I grew up with.

Indy Scout 117

no. im catholic and it never bothered me. in fact, i found it fascinating and wanted to learn more about my religion because of it.(y)

Mickiana

I'm not religious, but I really enjoy watching Indiana Jones movies. The movies are not serious treatments of religious subjects. Being made for entertainment, the religious stuff is presented fantastically and shouldn't offend or reinforce anyone's sensibilities, whether they are religious or not.

emtiem

That's a really interesting question- probably the wrong place to ask though as I imagine fans of Indy don't mind the nature of the relics!
And the films pretty much confirm the existence of God too- so I wouldn't have thought they'd offend any Christians particularly.

indyartist

Not at all. I am not religious and do not go to church although I believe in a higher power and a creator. If anything, these films educated me regarding the religious undertones. Although they are fictional, I believe they are based on real biblical events.

emtiem

In fact I suppose they're probably only offensive to Christians because they imply that other non-Christian gods co-exist with the Christian one; and some more hardcore Christians probably don't like the idea of aliens existing!

blueoakleyz said:
As an atheist I'm surprised that Indy 1 and 3 never bothered me... I think cuz i grew up with them. I don't believe in the mythos of course, but I know it's fiction.

Temple always seemed different, much more fictional, probably because it's not from a religion I grew up with.

Being raised a relatively staunch Catholic(;) ), both my parents worked in the field of science so I've tempered my faith with science. I love the how John Paul II embraced science and how Stephen Hawkins embraced religion.

My personal bent: I don't look at the bible as though it were a historical text, so the mystery of the ark, the grail and to some extent the stones parallel the mysteries of the bible, (to borrow a History/Discovery/Learning Channel title;) ). Raiders always struck me like the Leonard Nimoy series In Search Of. It took mythologies "seriously" and made them compelling. So, in a very broad generalization, my left brain is my doubting Thomas, my right brain appreciates the faith.

Until God (stops being an elitist), reveals himself to everyone without question God remains a mystery.

As religion relies on faith and NOT proof, I'll continue to subscribe to Stephen Hawkins' "philosophy" where science's, (and his) goal is to understand the mind of God.

And since this is the existence is how God has plainly revealed himself to us...what better place to start understanding Him. It seems to me religion helps us understand ourselves and others better and not God.

The Short Answer: no it doesn't bother me...it makes it more compelling.

kongisking

I'm a skeptic, but when it comes to movies, I can accept the films' in-universe logic and be fine with any religious components. The Indy movies probably do this the best, in that each film covers a different faith (for KOTCS, maybe it was New Age people?) allowing for all branches of religion to easily relate and enjoy these movies.

Jack Nelligan

Fiction

I find it funny that atheist don?t give Christians or other religious people enough credit to be able to separate fact from fiction.

These are movies are fiction and we all know that!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Jack Nelligan said:
I find it funny that atheist don?t give Christians or other religious people enough credit to be able to separate fact from fiction.

These are movies are fiction and we all know that!

Come now, there are religious people who will never touch a book like Harry Potter (I wish I could come up with a title that I actually admired for this...) because of the magic, just as there are atheists who find it incapable to endure something like The Divine Comedy.

Sadly, if there's anything that we can count on, it's that there will always be strident people, of many different stripes. And though perhaps not on this particular question, they can even be found here.

The Drifter

blueoakleyz said:

I'm a Christian and the movies never bothered me either. It would take someone very sensitive to be offended by the Indy films. Not many things offend me through media.
Yes, Temple did seem more fantasy-based at first because I was not familiar with the religion. But, the movie did make me interested in it and I did read alot on the basis of Hindu religion.

DoomTown

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I'm a Christian and the movies never bothered me either. It would take someone very sensitive to be offended by the Indy films. Not many things offend me through media.
Yes, Temple did seem more fantasy-based at first because I was not familiar with the religion. But, the movie did make me interested in it and I did read alot on the basis of Hindu religion.

I wonder if scientologists were offended with "KOTCS"??? :)

indyclone25

i'm catholic , went to sunday school and everything , but i never thought of the movies as be religious , i took them as what they meant to be , entertainment.

Perhilion

Nope. I'm a Lutheran, and both Raiders and LC got me really interested in the history and paranormal side of my religion. ToD got me interested in all the different religions in the world, and KotCS got me interested in inter-dimensional and "Chariot of the Gods" type stuff. So no, no problems.

Jack Nelligan

Attila the Professor said:
Come now, there are religious people who will never touch a book like Harry Potter (I wish I could come up with a title that I actually admired for this...) because of the magic, just as there are atheists who find it incapable to endure something like The Divine Comedy.

Sadly, if there's anything that we can count on, it's that there will always be strident people, of many different stripes. And though perhaps not on this particular question, they can even be found here.

There are extremes on both sides, but painting whole groups with the broad brush of the extreme is what stops productive dialogue in this country. Again, these are just movies, nothing more!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Jack Nelligan said:
There are extremes on both sides, but painting whole groups with the broad brush of the extreme is what stops productive dialogue in this country. Again, these are just movies, nothing more!

Then you and I aren't disagreeing, right?