About Sallah.

Matt deMille

Attila the Professor said:
So: any idea where you heard about Sallah dying?

I read it a couple years ago. Just one of those browsing online things. I didn't mark the page because I didn't think it a big deal at the time. I like to keep a tidy desktop and minimize saved links because I hate when my menus scroll on for pages.

So, I can't provide it, and for that I apologize, because I know some will take that as me making it up. All I can say is I clearly remember Sallah being shot, sliding down to his knees, and dissolving to the next scene.

The more I think about it, that since it was just two pages, I'm pretty sure it was just one of those daily rewrites that sounded good on paper, but weren't filmed, and the pages finally made it to the 'net. I didn't think it remarkable because that sort of thing happens all the time. In fact, in Lord of the Rings, Rhys-Davies speaks about getting new pages every day, and oftentimes he'd just ignore the new dialogue and not use it. Now, certainly Jackson and Spielberg are different critters, but it's quite common in filmmaking to break from the script -- even the day's fresh rewrites -- and go with something else. Scenes change by the hour. Consider in Temple of Doom the well known story of Kate freaked out by the snake-pool scene. There's the pool all set up, the script written, yet it wasn't filmed, and a whole new scene was improvised.

So, long story short, I read 'em, I now believe they were just a novelty from the set that found a place online, and if I come across 'em again I'll put the link here.

I just wish that some folks could accept my many peace-offerings rather than take every chance, no matter how silly, to accuse me of making things up.

Matt deMille said:
I read it a couple years ago. Just one of those browsing online things. I didn't mark the page because I didn't think it a big deal at the time. I like to keep a tidy desktop and minimize saved links because I hate when my menus scroll on for pages.

So, I can't provide it, and for that I apologize, because I know some will take that as me making it up. All I can say is I clearly remember Sallah being shot, sliding down to his knees, and dissolving to the next scene.

The more I think about it, that since it was just two pages, I'm pretty sure it was just one of those daily rewrites that sounded good on paper, but weren't filmed, and the pages finally made it to the 'net. I didn't think it remarkable because that sort of thing happens all the time. In fact, in Lord of the Rings, Rhys-Davies speaks about getting new pages every day, and oftentimes he'd just ignore the new dialogue and not use it. Now, certainly Jackson and Spielberg are different critters, but it's quite common in filmmaking to break from the script -- even the day's fresh rewrites -- and go with something else. Scenes change by the hour. Consider in Temple of Doom the well known story of Kate freaked out by the snake-pool scene. There's the pool all set up, the script written, yet it wasn't filmed, and a whole new scene was improvised.

So, long story short, I read 'em, I now believe they were just a novelty from the set that found a place online, and if I come across 'em again I'll put the link here.

I just wish that some folks could accept my many peace-offerings rather than take every chance, no matter how silly, to accuse me of making things up.
So its possibly a fan fiction?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
So its possibly a fan fiction?

Hmm. Possible.

At any rate: Matt, thanks for taking the trouble to type that out. Now we've got something to work with.

One clarification: do you have any recollection of the format? Were they script pages, was it a summary in prose form?

And, of course, this is all surprising in light of the scene at the docks, the inclusion of which would have to have come after any notion of the execution actually being carried out.

Montana Smith said:
I'll hold off telling you all about the script I read in which Indy got flattened by the boulder, then.
I'm about two thirds done with my Indiana Jones Halloween story...alas no Sallah.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
I'm about two thirds done with my Indiana Jones Halloween story

The beginning was reminiscent of Poe.

The writer, that is, not the gazunder.

Rocket Surgeon said:
...alas no Sallah.

He'd only have claimed "It's not of this earth", before hiding under the bed, alongside the gazunder.

Stoo

Hmm. Possible.

At any rate: Matt, thanks for taking the trouble to type that out. Now we've got something to work with.

One clarification: do you have any recollection of the format? Were they script pages, was it a summary in prose form?

And, of course, this is all surprising in light of the scene at the docks, the inclusion of which would have to have come after any notion of the execution actually being carried out.
Attila, you're not actually taking this seriously, are you? deMille's story is so full of baloney that I don't even know where to begin.

DiscoLad

Stoo said:
Attila, you're not actually taking this seriously, are you? deMille's story is so full of baloney that I don't even know where to begin.

I'd say let him be but that got me chewed out already... :rolleyes:

The Drifter

I have searched the great expanse of the world wide web for any inkling of a script (be it an early draft, or even a fan made script) but I have came up fruitless.
I pride myself in my sleuthing talents, but alas I can find NOTHING.

I'm not saying I do not believe Matt. Maybe he did stumble upon something in the dark corners of the internet that said Sallah was meant to die. But, perhaps it was something on one of those obscure angelfire or webtv made sites and the "script" was full of horse turds?

Matt deMille

Hmm. Possible.

I recall it being done in proper script form, and I've read enough of them to be able to spot fakes or fan-fictions quite easily. Of course, it doesn't really matter. It was just one of those things you come across. What matters to me is the movie, and I'm glad Sallah lived. He's easily my favorite character.

DiscoLad said:
Geez people take turns stripping him down. :rolleyes:

Thanks, DiscoLad. But don't worry, the Clique will try to strip me down on every thread no matter what, because they're a sad little group who have nothing better to do. And while I appreciate your support, don't try to discourage them, no matter how reasonable or rational your attempt, or they will take to attacking you on every thread too. It's just the pathetic way they are, and I'd hate to see someone else be their whipping boy on my account. Me, I can take it, and their slings and arrows really just bounce off because I really don't care what they say.

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:

For once, the man was willing to actually explicate what he remembered, which is more than I can say for his methodology most of the time. I think it's either a mistaken memory or what Lonsome outlines below.

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I have searched the great expanse of the world wide web for any inkling of a script (be it an early draft, or even a fan made script) but I have came up fruitless.
I pride myself in my sleuthing talents, but alas I can find NOTHING.

I'm not saying I do not believe Matt. Maybe he did stumble upon something in the dark corners of the internet that said Sallah was meant to die. But, perhaps it was something on one of those obscure angelfire or webtv made sites and the "script" was full of horse turds?

I did some digging too. Nothing.

Matt deMille said:
I recall it being done in proper script form, and I've read enough of them to be able to spot fakes or fan-fictions quite easily. Of course, it doesn't really matter. It was just one of those things you come across. What matters to me is the movie, and I'm glad Sallah lived.

See, you actually lose me a little here, though, with your last few sentences. The movie is the sum total of the decisions made along the way, and the notion that they considered <I>actually</I> killing off Sallah, however unlikely, is an important part of their creative process.

And:

DiscoLad said:
Are we really making four pages out of such a simple matter...

Well, that's only if you have it set to the default. I've got 50 posts per page. ;)

But seriously - what else are we going to talk about? And Matt's hypothesis, were it somehow true, would be news. It's worth dealing with.

Oh, and I'm really sick of hearing about this Clique.

Matt deMille

Sorry if I seemed to trivialize the issue. I was simply stating why I didn't make a mental note of the website. I'm sure many "lost pages" from movies are out there (Rhys-Davies said he has two filing cabinets full of rewrite pages for LOTR that weren't used). Maybe sometimes a website gets a hold of them, because Lucasfilm sure won't post them anywhere (George seems to be very concerned with showing one version of things his own -- and no others).

Since this seems to have such interest, my own opinion is that, while they signed contracts for additional films, at the time nobody anticipated making a sequel, so Sallah was expendable. I think it came down to a "Now what do we do with him?" moment, and many ideas were thrown out there. I think his execution being carried out was just one of many things that were probably scripted but then decided against.

Oh, and I won't refer to the "C" anymore. Sorry for the stress.