How Many Times Will You See It?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I saw it twice, once in a regular theater and once at a drive-in, which felt appropriate.

Since? I've seen it - well, I know of two times I sat down to watch the entire thing, with people who hadn't seen it yet. I've seen some of it otherwise, but I don't think I've watched it from start to finish other than those four times.

No use belaboring my opinion on it, of course, as this doesn't seem the forum, but my views on it have remained pretty consistent. It has some great elements, but is not great overall.

Crack that whip

I know I saw it at least seven times in theaters, but possibly eight; somehow I lost track, despite it not really being that many times.

Though it's my own least favorite of the four, I give it a lot more credit than so many others here seem to, and of course it's not as though I can just choose to go see any of the other three anytime I want to see Indy on the big screen. Anyway, despite it being my least favorite, it's the one I've seen the second-highest number of times - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade will likely forever remain the one I've seen the most times in theaters, with 16 viewings back in '89. Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom I got to see just about three to five times apiece in theaters, alas (because I lacked opportunity, not enthusiasm).

bonoferox

Twice in theaters, about 15 times on DVD during random Indy marathons. 3 additional times when I had friends watch it with the Rifftrax.

HJTHX1138

Well I saw it once at the directors guild with my dad, so I didn't really need to see it in an actual theater, So I never paid to see it.

I got the DVD and watched it once, that's it.

It's not like the other ones where there's always a part to look forward to.

Johnny Nys

Johnny Nys said:
Only once. I never see a movie twice at a theater.

And I stand corrected: I went back on my own for a second viewing, I think it was even the next day. Definitely sometime during the following week.

Haven't counted, but watched it on dvd at least five times (once when I bought it, twice during a marathon, once with my parents, and there must have been at least one other time).

Might not be all that much compared to other people, but it really is when you look at the general amount of movies I usually watch in a certain time frame - which isn't all that many to begin with.

Just like with the other movies, I'll probably never get enough of it.

Montana Smith

HJTHX1138 said:
Well I saw it once at the directors guild with my dad, so I didn't really need to see it in an actual theater, So I never paid to see it.

I got the DVD and watched it once, that's it.

It's not like the other ones where there's always a part to look forward to.

I feel embarrassed now, because I saw it three times. But never in the cinema, of course.

The third time was only to see what it looked like on Blu-ray. And the answer to that was: no different, apart from being an even more boring experience.

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
I feel embarrassed now, because I saw it three times. But never in the cinema, of course.

The third time was only to see what it looked like on Blu-ray. And the answer to that was: no different, apart from being an even more boring experience.

You never saw it in the cinema? Not once???

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
You never saw it in the cinema? Not once???

Never. I wasn't a fan anticipating the movie. I barely knew about it until it was out. Then I resisted until the DVD was sitting on a table right in front of me at a boot sale .

I was curious to see how bad it was - but it wasn't as terrible as expected. It had something going for it, but not enough to make it a very watchable experience.

Raiders90

Twice in the theatres. Once myself on opening day in the afternoon. Terrible experience. I felt this odd sense of despair...Almost like a friend had passed away or something. Like an odd sort of depression. At the showing I went to, no one clapped, and everyone sort of shuffled out of the room silently as if it were a funeral (I mentioned this back in '08 as well). It was all adults, older teens and older people. It was just really awkward, no one spoke or anything at the movie's end. Then I read here that the key was to see it a second time, that people who hated it liked it the second go-around.

So, maybe a couple of days or weeks later, I took my then 9 year old niece to see it, because I wanted to introduce her to Indiana Jones and I figured it'd be a good way to get her into it since she had a big crush on Shia LaBeouf at the time. We went to a night showing. There were several couples with kids around her age or a little older or younger, some younger teens, a few middle aged people and maybe some older folks. At the end, it was much more triumphant, many of these people laughed and most of the children who saw it loved it, as did the middle aged people.

Montana Smith

Raiders112390 said:
Twice in the theatres. Once myself on opening day in the afternoon. Terrible experience. I felt this odd sense of despair...Almost like a friend had passed away or something. Like an odd sort of depression. At the showing I went to, no one clapped, and everyone sort of shuffled out of the room silently as if it were a funeral (I mentioned this back in '08 as well). It was all adults, older teens and older people. It was just really awkward, no one spoke or anything at the movie's end. Then I read here that the key was to see it a second time, that people who hated it liked it the second go-around.

So, maybe a couple of days or weeks later, I took my then 9 year old niece to see it, because I wanted to introduce her to Indiana Jones and I figured it'd be a good way to get her into it since she had a big crush on Shia LaBeouf at the time. We went to a night showing. There were several couples with kids around her age or a little older or younger, some younger teens, a few middle aged people and maybe some older folks. At the end, it was much more triumphant, many of these people laughed and most of the children who saw it loved it, as did the middle aged people

I can't remember now whether I thought the second viewing was better (but it probably was). Maybe that's because you're ready to absorb the low points in exchange for appreciation of the good.

Yet the third viewing, to test out the value of Blu-ray, was a bleak affair. I was bored, restless, and I never made it right to the end. The film lacked any kind of passion, so it was largely a very by-the-numbers experience.

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
Never. I wasn't a fan anticipating the movie. I barely knew about it until it was out. Then I resisted until the DVD was sitting on a table right in front of me at a boot sale .

I was curious to see how bad it was - but it wasn't as terrible as expected. It had something going for it, but not enough to make it a very watchable experience.

Wow - That was unexpected. I don't know of anyone here who didn't see the movie in the cinema (although I'm sure I'll be corrected). I can't ever imagine being in the position where I wouldn't give an Indy or Star Wars movie the benefit of the doubt and not watch it on the big screen.

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
Wow - That was unexpected. I don't know of anyone here who didn't see the movie in the cinema (although I'm sure I'll be corrected). I can't ever imagine being in the position where I wouldn't give an Indy or Star Wars movie the benefit of the doubt and not watch it on the big screen.

I'd consigned Indy to three movies, books, comics and role-playing games. He wasn't foremost in my mind in 2008, so I didn't take any notice of the build-up to KOTCS. It didn't interest me. I'm only here because I gave that second hand DVD a chance.

KOTCS then re-awakened the interest that began when I bought the Raiders novel before the film came out.

Indy, like Star Wars, is an interest that never went away, but I have many preoccupations that take the number one spot at various times. They're obsessions that peak and trough.

Raiders90

Montana Smith said:
I'd consigned Indy to three movies, books, comics and role-playing games. He wasn't foremost in my mind in 2008, so I didn't take any notice of the build-up to KOTCS. It didn't interest me. I'm only here because I gave that second hand DVD a chance.

KOTCS then re-awakened the interest that began when I bought the Raiders novel before the film came out.

Indy, like Star Wars, is an interest that never went away, but I have many preoccupations that take the number one spot at various times. They're obsessions that peak and trough.

Off topic but how do you feel about the Indy novels? Canon or not in your eyes? And how do you feel about the YIJC?

Montana Smith

Raiders112390 said:
Off topic but how do you feel about the Indy novels? Canon or not in your eyes? And how do you feel about the YIJC?

I've only read the novelizations and some of the comics.

The Young Indy series was well made, but it feels like a separate entity because it was so heavily into the educational aspect. It makes Indy appear like Forrest Gump or a Baron Munchausen telling tall stories. So, the series, like KOTCS doesn't completely fit into the canon. There's a disparity between River Phoenix being inspired by Fedora and SPF's goody-two shoes character. It comes down to Lucas' continually changing attitude towards the character.

Raiders90

Montana Smith said:
I've only read the novelizations and some of the comics.

The Young Indy series was well made, but it feels like a separate entity because it was so heavily into the educational aspect. It makes Indy appear like Forrest Gump or a Baron Munchausen telling tall stories. So, the series, like KOTCS doesn't completely fit into the canon. There's a disparity between River Phoenix being inspired by Fedora and SPF's goody-two shoes character. It comes down to Lucas' continually changing attitude towards the character.

I'd say the YIJC fits in well with LC. We don't see ANY hint of "It belongs in a museum!" being in Indy's character in TOD or Raiders. But it's retconned that he had that attitude going back to when he was 13, and still does at 39. Him meeting famous people isn't that bad as it seems that Indy is in his own universe pretty famous in his field (for example, Chattel Lal referring to Jones as "the imminent archaeologist" and first hearing of Indy when he was "back in Oxford"--Shows Indy has some fair amount of his own fame and infamy as an archaeologist).

Also, with Old Indy gone, it's no one telling stories, it's just events you see unfolding. For me, I don't see why with a guy surviving all the stuff that Indy survives in the original films, along with recovering two of the most important Judeo-Christian artifacts in a two year span of time, meeting famous people is that hard to grasp. All the stuff Indy survives and sees in the films is outlandish.

Also, River Phoenix's Indy wasn't really a badass himself. "It belongs in a museum!"

You have to remember too that Indy's character changes overtime in the YIJC. Yes, he's fairly naive at the start, but he begins to become harder edged as he is longer in the War. The series ends at 1920, the films begin in 1935. A 15 year gap is a long enough time for SPF to fully grow into TOD's Indy.

Stoo

Darth Vile said:
There is another. A person who demands more Indy product in an animated form even though the 1st time he watched "Skull" was *17 months* after it was released (a pirate copy of Indy 4, on-line for FREE).:rolleyes::eek:

Dr. Gonzo

Stoo said:
There is another. A person who demands more Indy product in an animated form even though the 1st time he watched "Skull" was *17 months* after it was released (a pirate copy of Indy 4, on-line for FREE).:rolleyes::eek:
He needs to be redeemed.

Though Finn has a sneaking suspicion that he is a closet Nietzsche enthusiast.

Darth Vile

Stoo said:

"That's not true... That's impossible..." (to mix my quotes) ;)

Forbidden Eye

I saw it three times in the theater. Seen it all the way through on Blu-Ray twice.

Seen certain scenes several times on television.

Brooke Logan

I've seen the movie twice. I wouldn't mind seeing it another time here or there, but with the other three, I watched them over and over. I even used to make "plays" out of them with figures for my niece when she was little.XD

KOTCS just doesn't interest me enough where I would want to watch it multiple times like the others, or play it out for a little kid.XD