General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

AndyLGR

Grizzlor said:
What legacy? They're movies. They could make a really entertaining movie, like TFA is, or another dud. The world will not end either way. Raiders will still be a legendary film. It's not going to be a lazy cash grab like say the 5th Die Hard.
Totally agree. The first 3 Indy films are in no way diminished by how bad KOTCS is. Equally the original Star Wars and for that matter TFA aren't tarnished by the prequels. Same goes for Die hard too. Based on Harrisons performance in TFA I would be more than happy to see him in a new Indy if they can get one going soon.

curmudgeon

Bob Iger briefly brings up Indy in an interview with Bloomberg.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2015-12-28/disney-s-bob-iger-on-star-wars-espn-and-china

@7:30-ish

In relation to Disney's acquisitions and how it all comes down to storytelling:

"So we had in Pixar some of the best storytellers that existed in motion pictures and certainly in animation. We had in Marvel stories and characters, great storytelling, and obviously in George Lucas' Star Wars... and Indiana Jones, by the way as well, which will be coming. We have more great stories."

There might be more in the interview, but damn it's a slog getting through all the ESPN and Disney Parks stuff...

TheFedora

Say its a good sign that Bob Iger is bringing this up. But again, seems like something to take with a grain of salt until an official announcement is made.

Z dweller

It's very good to hear Bob say that, but frankly there was never any doubt that Disney would give us more Indy adventures, eventually.

The big question is of course when, and the answer is crucial because every day that goes by without an official announcement reduces the chances of having Ford in the leading role (at least for the whole adventure), which in turn is bound to have a meaningful impact on the storyline.

I stand by my odds, which are based on the assumption that the earliest a new movie could possibly be released is the end of '17.

Z dweller said:
It?s time to lay some odds for Indy 5. Here are mine.

• Ford plays older Indy, another actor plays younger Indy for part of the movie: 4/5 (55.5% probability).

• Another actor stars, no Ford: 5/2 (28.5% probability).

• Ford stars, no other actor as younger Indy: 9/1 (10% probability).

• No further movies, Disney opt for a TV show or animated series instead: 16/1 (6% probability).

Grizzlor

Yahoo is just repeating what Iger already said for Bloomberg. As I've said for a few years, Disney NEEDS to produce box office #'s from the Lucasfilm properties. They agreed to some kind of deal with Harrison in order to get him to appear in Star Wars. You don't put the kind of money down that they have without making a film. What's becoming clearer is that George Lucas' name has barely been mentioned. So hopefully he is no longer the impediment that he was for KOTCS, forcing a decade-long delay.

Duaner

Grizzlor said:
What's becoming clearer is that George Lucas' name has barely been mentioned. So hopefully he is no longer the impediment that he was for KOTCS, forcing a decade-long delay.

I would think George's role would be nothing more than "creative consultant" much the same as he was for "The Force Awakens". I think they will try to keep Spielberg on board, but no I think George would have little to no say in the project.

micsteam

I love Lucas, if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have what we have, but might be better off ( considering his SW prequels and Red Tails). :hat:

Z dweller

Indy 5: the Star Wars effect

With 'The Force Awakens' on track to become the highest-grossing film in box office history, I believe it's very likely that Disney will adopt the same strategy of going back to the roots of the film series, when they finally start working on Indy 5.

Obviously, not everyone is happy with TFA, despite ticket sales.
Lucas called it a “retro movie” and jokingly admitted to having “sold his children to the white slavers”, while hard core SW fans are annoyed by the extent to which TFA’s storyline is simply a rehash of A New Hope.

But do Disney care?
I very much doubt it, in fact I expect them to give Indy 5 exactly the same treatment.

At this stage, I am pretty sure that they’ll make it a prequel set in the late 20s or early 30s, with a new actor in the main role (at least for most of the movie, I still think it’s possible Ford may get a bookend-type part, but only if they get going in the next year or so).
In terms of storyline, to a certain extent is inevitable for any Indy prequel not to be based on the familiar elements: a potentially dangerous macguffin coveted by bad guys, booby traps, puzzles to solve, exotic locations.

The key question is: will they just shamelessly rip off Raiders, or try to be a bit more inventive?

Personally, I credit Disney with the ability to come up with an original story without resorting to too much copying/pasting in the script, and find a good actor to play younger Indy (probably a semi-unknown like Ridley and Boyega), so on the whole I’m optimistic. (y)

What are your thoughts?

Duaner

Z dweller said:
With 'The Force Awakens' on track to become the highest-grossing film in box office history, I believe it's very likely that Disney will adopt the same strategy of going back to the roots of the film series, when they finally start working on Indy 5.

Obviously, not everyone is happy with TFA, despite ticket sales.
Lucas called it a ?retro movie? and jokingly admitted to having ?sold his children to the white slavers?, while hard core SW fans are annoyed by the extent to which TFA?s storyline is simply a rehash of A New Hope.

But do Disney care?
I very much doubt it, in fact I expect them to give Indy 5 exactly the same treatment.

At this stage, I am pretty sure that they?ll make it a prequel set in the late 20s or early 30s, with a new actor in the main role (at least for most of the movie, I still think it?s possible Ford may get a bookend-type part, but only if they get going in the next year or so).
In terms of storyline, to a certain extent is inevitable for any Indy prequel not to be based on the familiar elements: a potentially dangerous macguffin coveted by bad guys, booby traps, puzzles to solve, exotic locations.

The key question is: will they just shamelessly rip off Raiders, or try to be a bit more inventive?

Personally, I credit Disney with the ability to come up with an original story without resorting to too much copying/pasting in the script, and find a good actor to play younger Indy (probably a semi-unknown like Ridley and Boyega), so on the whole I?m optimistic. (y)

What are your thoughts?

I'm not trying to open this can of worms (because there's another thread properly devoted to it), but it is not correct to say that "die hard" Star Wars fans are annoyed with TFA. That implies that if the similarities to A New Hope did not bother you, then you are not a die-hard fan. I can assure you that countless "die-hards" found the movie to be just fine the way it is, but I digress.

Onto your main question! Some have argued that "Last Crusade" was a bit of a "Raiders" rip-off, so depending on who you talk to, they may say Disney does not have to worry about ripping off Raiders because Spielberg/Lucas already did. But I think you are right. Disney will come up with an original prequel story. There are countless locations we have not visited yet in an Indy film, plus many artifacts to use as the Macguffin. I think you will see that the new Indy film will mirror the tone of the old ones, the same way that TFA mirrors the original trilogy. This means practical effects and real stuntmen. I agree it will be set in the late 20s/early 30s and they will cast a relative unknown. I mean there are 2,500 actors vying for the Han Solo role in the 2018 stand-alone film - there's got to be some talented unknown that they could find within that group and offer him a consolation prize - the next Indy!

I hope something gets going soon. I am excited about the possibilities.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The Iger quote in context. IN A WORLD...
It starts with great storytelling. That is the heart, really, of the company. It's all about storytelling, that's what creates the most value. Obviously with George Lucas's Star Wars, and Indiana Jones by the way, as well, which will be coming. We have more great stories. And I think in a world where there's far more content or intellectual property and much more choice, great stories still hold their value and actually stand out, given all the choice that people have.

Grizzlor

First, I wonder if George even cares about being consulted on IJ? I don't think the franchise is running through his blood the way Star Wars has.

Second, even in full context, Iger's statement reads the same to me. IJ is coming....eventually.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Work can't even start until late 2017

DisneytimelineCinemacon2015BigXL.jpg

From there you do the math from concept to post production.

Z dweller

Pale Horse said:
From there you do the math from concept to post production.
That's just a release schedule to Summer '17.

What's to stop Disney from getting to work on Indy 5 much earlier than that and releasing it at the end of next year or in 2018?

IndyForever

Indy5 could come out as soon as its ready. The story or lack of is the same old issue its been since 2008...

We can all hope Spielberg really hits the typewriter soon as he seems to genuinely want to make this last movie with Harrison in the part.

TFA being a box office hit helps Ford a lot it gives him major leverage as a global box office star in a signature role (like Solo was).