General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Indy's brother

With the role as a producer, I don't think that would get in his way too much. I think the biggest hurdle for an Indy 5 is that it seems like the only people interested in making it are the cast.

Hanselation

Túrin Turambar said:
And Harrison is going to be 71 soon. 5 years have passed since indy 4, i dont think it will happen now.

"Indiana Jones was our last hope"
"No - there is another one: Han Solo" (y)

20100825_vortexvorn_bg.jpg

They just don't have the decent humanity to let it die with dignity after that pitiful last go-round. Shame on them, for being such greedy money-clawing bastards.

Dr. Gonzo

Mickiana said:
Well, that is the most promising tidbit we've heard in a while.:)

I guess I'm going to be a stick in the mud...
what was so promising about that statement?

It's the same general blanket statement, rife with un-iformation, that we've been getting from Lucasfilm for the past 5 years.

Doesn't change Harrison's age, Spielberg's disinterest or the non-existent Script/story.

Come on folks I thought you were all finally coming to grips with the reality.

It's over and done.:dead:

Dene

Dr. Gonzo said:
I guess I'm going to be a stick in the mud...

It's the same general blanket statement, rife with un-iformation, that we've been getting from Lucasfilm for the past 5 years.

Doesn't change Harrison's age, Spielberg's disinterest or the non-existent Script/story.

Come on folks I thought you were all finally coming to grips with the reality.

It's over and done.:dead:
I for one have certainly accepted that it's over as far as Harrison Ford is concerned; but I seriously doubt if cinema has seen the last of Indiana Jones.

IndyForever

Lucasfilm also just announced they are dropping the Star Wars prequel 3D re-releases to concentrate on the new SW movies so perhaps Lucasfilm/Disney are starting to understand the still massive global appeal & hopefully make another Indy happen because now Lucas cannot be as obstructive as Disney can if they want move him away to the sidelines like Paramount did with Gene Roddenberry after they bought Star Trek.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/exc...ses-lucasfilm-passes-to-focus-on-new-trilogy/

I do not think Lucas realises once you sell your company for $4.05b the buyers are going to want to exploit the key franchises & Indy is one of those (even if you have to profit share woth Paramount its still a lot of money!!) for sure in an ideal world they could make 2 more Indy films with Spielberg/Ford shoot back to back that would make business sense & satisfy the global fanbase which outside US is still massive a potential Indy 5 if well received would go over $1b.....KOTCS despite being excellent is not universally loved yet still managed $786m ($486.5m outside US the highest grossing 2008 international movie even beating the Dark Knight & that's without China as they would not allow it to release because Spielberg boycotted the olympics over politics/human rights so with China it would have gone well over $800m).

Mickiana

Dr. Gonzo said:

"the most promising tidbit" - 'Tidbit' is a small piece of gossip and "the most promising" is a relative term. In the vast vacuum of no solid information, to hear KK mention IJ in any terms other than an emphatic "No!", well, it is small, but like a man grasping at a tree root hanging over a precipice...

IndyForever

Here is another crumb from Spielberg that Indy 5 is still not dead!
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lucasfilms-kathleen-kennedy-star-wars-416303?page=4

"One project that could reunite them would be a fifth Indiana Jones, but Spielberg is clear: "I will not make another Indiana Jones film unless it's based on George's story." Lucas intends for that to happen, says Spielberg, though the timetable is unclear -- the gap between the previous two movies was 19 years. "Kathy and I will figure out some way to work together again," he says, before adding, as if counting the days, "She has a five-year contract."

Montana Smith

IndyForever said:
Here is another crumb from Spielberg that Indy 5 is still not dead!
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lucasfilms-kathleen-kennedy-star-wars-416303?page=4

"One project that could reunite them would be a fifth Indiana Jones, but Spielberg is clear: "I will not make another Indiana Jones film unless it's based on George's story." Lucas intends for that to happen, says Spielberg, though the timetable is unclear -- the gap between the previous two movies was 19 years. "Kathy and I will figure out some way to work together again," he says, before adding, as if counting the days, "She has a five-year contract."

By which time Harrison will be 75, and Shia will be sporting a brand new fedora.

Mickiana said:
It could be a trail of crumbs that leads somewhere!

Could be food poisoning!

Kernunnos

One project that could reunite them would be a fifth Indiana Jones, but Spielberg is clear: "I will not make another Indiana Jones film unless it's based on George's story." Lucas intends for that to happen, says Spielberg, though the timetable is unclear -- the gap between the previous two movies was 19 years. "Kathy and I will figure out some way to work together again," he says, before adding, as if counting the days, "She has a five-year contract."

I never thought Indy 5 was dead, but this means Indy 5 with Harrison is still on the cards, however unlikely.

There will be more Indiana Jones movies, I'm sure of that. Disney wont sit on the rights to the franchise and just do nothing with it. They'll either sell it to someone willing to work with Paramount, or they'll thrash out a deal.

Indiana Jones is too big, and potentially lucrative for them to do nothing.

My favourite scenario would be for Disney to do two more movies with Harrison, about Indy's later years, and without the beards involved. If Spielberg only wants to do it if it's based on Lucas's idea, then he can sod off as far as I'm concerned.

I trust Disney to do something that does the older Indy justice, and I'm sure they wont think he needs an irritating young sidekick, or 'comical' (ha ha) CGI furries to make the film appealing to the younger generation.

Montana Smith

Kernunnos said:
I trust Disney to do something that does the older Indy justice, and I'm sure they wont think he needs an irritating young sidekick, or 'comical' (ha ha) CGI furries to make the film appealing to the younger generation.

But without them how many children are going to get excited about an old guy who can no longer feasibly do the things he was famous for?

Old Indy is a niche market, so it was no wonder Disney didn't 'put any value' on him when they scooped up the forever child-friendly Star Wars cash cow.

Kernunnos

Montana Smith said:
But without them how many children are going to get excited about an old guy who can no longer feasibly do the things he was famous for?

Old Indy is a niche market, so it was no wonder Disney didn't 'put any value' on him when they scooped up the forever child-friendly Star Wars cash cow.

I don't know if it's such a niche market. We all know how much KOTCS grossed at the box office, and I don't think that movie really caught the imagination of younger people. I was 32 when that film came out, and I must have been the youngest person in the cinema when I went to see it. Honestly.

It goes without saying that not everyone who goes to the cinema is under 25, and I'd go so far as to say that that age group is actually less likely to go to the cinema than older generations.

Montana Smith

Kernunnos said:
I don't know if it's such a niche market. We all know how much KOTCS grossed at the box office, and I don't think that movie really caught the imagination of younger people. I was 32 when that film came out, and I must have been the youngest person in the cinema when I went to see it. Honestly.

It goes without saying that not everyone who goes to the cinema is under 25, and I'd go so far as to say that that age group is actually less likely to go to the cinema than older generations.

Every Indy movie, especially after ROTLA, has been made with children in mind. Whether or not it captures the imagination of children is another matter.

It was evident in KOTCS, that to offset an old guy George needed to put in a young pretender and a host of furries among other silly and overly 'spectacular' sequences. But even KOTCS couldn't sustain a complete line of toys.

Without mass merchandise, essentially toys, Indy 5 would be a niche market for Disney. A little sideline relying on the 'Indiana Jones' name.

An old guy is only going to interesting to kids if he's dressed in red and emptying his sack down their chimney on an annual basis.

They'll probably hire Harrison for a five minute prologue cameo and have him walk into the fountain of youth so someone else can take over. :sick: