Escape from New York remake

|ZiR|

Michael24 said:
A few years ago there was sort of a Snake resurgence. There was a (short-lived) comic book called The Snake Plissken Chronicles, which had been retooled from a failed television series. There were also plans to launch a series of books, a video game, and an animated movie that would feature the voice/likeness of Kurt Russell. I guess after the comic failed to generated much interest (I think only 3 or 4 issues were published), everything else just sort of fell apart. :(

This is all news to me! I have some researching to do.

fixer79 said:
Anyhoo... You guys should really check out this Escape fansite. Pretty cool stuff...

http://www.theefnylapage.com

It even has deleted scene stuff, concept art and info on the Escape from Earth projects Michael was talking about.

Thanks for that! I always forget to check for fansites. I know there's a similar one for The Thing -- it has deleted scenes, concept art, interviews, etc. Pretty neat if you're a fan.

Michael24

|ZiR| said:
This is all news to me! I have some researching to do.
In 2001 John Carpenter did a panel for Ghosts of Mars at Fangoria's "Weekend of Horrors." During the Q&A I asked him about the rumor of a Snake Plissken television series. He said he had developed the concept with Debra Hill and Kurt Russell and they shopped it around to various networks. Unfortunately, everyone turned it down because they thought it was "too dark and gritty," and the trio were not willing to tone it down and make it more "TV friendly," so the plans were ultimately dropped. I wasn't too sure about the idea of someone else playing Snake, but I was curious what it would be like, and Russell would have also remained an executive producer.

indy34

It's really sad walking to your movie and seeing all the movie posters along the wall and thinking "remake, remake, sequel, remake, sequel, oh this looks original..oh wait no just a remake with a different name":(

roundshort

I was bummed to see they pulled the plug on a 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea remake, I think that could have been cool.

Supernatural

I thought I'd bump this instead of making a Lockout thread.
This basically looks like the much fabled "Escape from Earth" movie that Plissken fans have been hoping for.

The rumor has been around for well over a decade now.
It seems after Debra Hill's death it got derailed.

Archaeos

If it's going to be like any of the remakes of Carpenter movies (nicely listed in post #18 here), it's going to be forgettable, or be a new movie with an old-reference title.

I think this is the best Carpenter movie after The Thing. But I fear that the underlying problem is that the story no longer works today. So I am very concerned what they make of it - yet another sequel/remake to ignore and erase from your brain matrix?

Like Assault on Precinct 13 and Halloween (even The Fog), Escape from New York was born out of a specific 1970s socio-political atmosphere where lack of social cohesion, economic insecurity and downward mobility, rampant political decay and massively-rising criminality, and a complete disillusionment with trust in institutions were everyday topics. Escape came out in time for Reagan, just when cynicism and me-only-culture became popular and made these problems all easier to swallow and digestible :cool: (preferably with lots of money to be made from them). Hence why Snake Plissken is such a well-working character creation for this film and its time. There was a wonderful interview broadcast on German television a decade ago where Carpenter and the interviewer discussed all this really well in light of what Carpenter suggested was his take on Hannah Arendt's 'banality of evil' concept (his words - pretty heady stuff, this interview... I have it on a VHS tape, awaiting to be digitised if I ever find the will to invest the time needed).

Today, Escape has great atmosphere and the visuals are still great and work, but for a remake or re-imagining, the entire vision of a prison island, a martial police state, the presidential subplot... it just no longer works in a world of Guantanamo, internet privacy v the state, and Lincoln-Vampire-Hunter-audiences.

To successfully redo/update/rework all this, I think one would require a completely new script, and this would just leave the title and nothing much... so why bother with the title? As if the title Escape from New York has so much mainstream cachet to guarantee a box-office+dvd-sales profit...
Would The Walking Dead have been more successful if it would have been called Dawn of the Dead?.

Montana Smith

Two threads for a non-starting remake. Now there's something for the janitor to sweep into a little pile!

Hauk: Plissken? Plissken, what are you doing?

Snake Plissken: Playing with myself!

I haven't seen EFNY in many years. With the announcement of

s210.jpg

I was prompted to at least dig out my copy of Escape From L.A., which was pretty much a retread of the original.

Still waiting for my copy of EFNY to arrive before I can feel like it's 1981 all over again.

Still, it's great to see toys being made from the 'classic era' that gave us so many great sci-fi and adventure films. Also great that Sideshow has advanced somewhat since their bobblehead Jones.

s47.jpg

s72.jpg

s81.jpg

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Merged.

How about an Escape From York? I walked the perimeter wall a couple years ago. And Escape 2 ended with a global EMP so a medieval approach would be fitting.

Then when Kurt Russel gets really old he can escape from Yorkies.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Indy rescues Snake from New York!

Now that's a reboot I'd love to see. Anyone want to pen the graphic novel first?