Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Spectre

I'm sooooo looking forward to this one!!!
Cap:First Avenger rocked!
It was probably the best origin story Marvel has ever done.
But that wasn't what made it shine brightest--it was Chris Evans as Steve Rogers.
He proved it again in Avengers.
You can really see every emotion on his face--every thought. He pulls it off like no other.

Regardless of whatever Marvel gives us in Winter Soldier, Evans will deliver in character.

I love that the Falcon was included, too.
Was dreading the thought of Luke Cage....but ecstatic when they announced Falcon.

(Spoiler Alert--stop here)
The Winter Soldier story arc was a great choice, too. It will tie up "loose ends" from First Avenger!!!

Also holding my breath for an Agent Carter series--the one shot kicked butt.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
Give the sequel a chance...

I'd have to watch the first one, before giving the sequel a chance. That's the thing, I just can't get into the mythos of super heroes. Spidey (all incarnations): camp. The entire Avengers: popcorn. X-Men: Mutants...

I'll never reconcile them as viable in today's world. Granted, I never read comics as a kid and my only knowledge of them growing up was Bill Bixby's The Incredible Hulk.

I did enjoy Tim Burton's take on Batman and even appreciated the Schumacher films for how horrible they were. It's hard not to like Christopher Reeve's man of steel, especially with the thespian Hackman front and center in all his antagonism.

But there is a trend now, especially with Singer's introduction of the X-Men to make the fanciful a reality. I guess my problem is that I can't marry those worlds together.

Nolan fared well with Bruce Wayne's transition to the Dark Knight, but blew it on his third outing. I've queued Thor (the first one) Man of Steel and Captain America (the first one) on Netflix, but haven't pulled the trigger. The Avengers lost me completely. Ironman, like Batman Begins had a great origin story, but the later films completely destroyed the character. I never pulled the trigger on Superman Returns and judging by the press, I didn't miss a thing.

As to the rest: The Watchmen, The Green Lantern, Spawn, Daredevil, Hellboy, The Punisher, Catwoman, Blade(s), Elecktra, The Crow, Ghostrider, Fantastic Four I & II, Hancock, The Dredds and the rest of 'em. Meh.

Le Saboteur

Pale Horse said:
I'll never reconcile them as viable in today's world...

I would like to be supportive, Pale, I really would but...

tumblr_ltwddhOT1T1qfetl0o1_500.gif

Of course you won't get it until you at least see The First Avenger, but for somebody who rather slavishly follows Lucas' Space Opera, I find the above statement and the one about the fanciful merging with reality to be rather incongruous. Last time I checked humans didn't pal around with 7-foot tall furries or have meaningful conversations with obese slugs. Yet, I don't recall a single instance of Ford or Hamill elbowing each other in the ribs and/or winking at the camera.

What it sounds like you're saying: I can't accept any 'comic book' movie that takes itself seriously, because I just know that meta-humans can't exist, even extremely low level ones like Captain America.

Before somebody raises the 'but, it's science fiction' argument, the vast majority of comics fall under the science fiction banner as well. The truly fantastical and horror aspects of the Marvel Universe have not yet been mined for popular consumption. Just wait until they get into the likes of, say, The Hands of Shang Chi!

That said, I am fairly surprised that you haven't even taken the opportunity to see The First Avenger. Cap's origins are rooted fairly strongly in the pulp adventures of yore; it takes place in a time period near and dear to several members' heart; and the ever popular Joe Johnston is in fine form. If he doesn't get another shot at The Rocketeer, Disney should let him take a crack at Dr. Jones.

Spectre said:
(Spoiler Alert--stop here)
The Winter Soldier story arc was a great choice, too. It will tie up "loose ends" from The First Avenger!!!

If I were to put together a list of one of the worst trends enabled by the 'net, the idea of "spoilers" and the people who actively seek them out and report on them would be right near the top. The obsessive need to track every aspect of a movie's development is weird. So, while I can't force you to refrain from further, ah, reporting, it would be appreciated if you refrained from further comment (even though Kevin Fiege has said the same thing a million times) lest you inadvertently let something slip. Some thing should be left as a surprise until the houselights go down.

kongisking said:
And I know, thanks to the horrible secret-keeping skills of the Internet, the Soldier's' identity. I've been aware of that storyline for some time, and I hear it's a really excellent tale (never read it, but hope to when they release the inevitable tie-in trade paperback collection of the story arc), so hopefully the adaptation keeps that quality.

I'm truly sorry for that then. It would have been a great moment. And, yes, the story-arc is excellent. Ed Brubaker is a top flight writer. If you head over here, however, I'm sure you'll find a copy on the store shelf. It's been out for a few years now.

For everybody else, if the link is anyway related to Captain America, avoid it entirely. It can be done!

kongisking said:
Hopes are high for the Winter Soldier to be as badass a foe as he comes across in these previews...

For its very impressive collection of heroes, Marvel is something of a let down in the villain department. Outside of the Wallcrawler's gallery of rogues, very few make much of a lasting impression. I have no doubt that The Winter Soldier will be as capable as he's been portrayed as in the trailers, but it's important for Cap's development. A hero is only as good as his nemesis his.

Joe Brady said:
Granted, it would have been nice to use the Howling Commandos to tell an actual WWII Inglorious Bastards tale but, heh, even Tarantino couldn't deliver one

They'll be back if this Agent Carter series has legs, but the two problems are: 1.) The Howling Commandos have always been associated with Nick Fury* and 2.) Nazi-smashing isn't exactly a family affair, and people will stay away in droves. Plus, it's a rather small aspect of the universe's history.

* - I don't think Marvel Entertainment has quite decided on this Nick Fury's origins outside of a M or C-like character. The Winter Soldier might touch on this, but I wouldn't count on it. His inclusion might have reached its limit depending on which direction they're going.

Godzillaisking said:
Cap remains my favorite Marvel hero

If I were to make the proverbial Top 10 list, Captain America wouldn't be on it. As the beating heart and moral center of the Marvel Universe, however, I have a great respect for the character. There's a lot of great stories that could be told through him, but the movie(s) have really captured his nature as a Man Out of Time.

Just for fun...

captain-america-is-the-best.jpg

Spectre

Le Saboteur said:
If I were to put together a list of one of the worst trends enabled by the 'net, the idea of "spoilers" and the people who actively seek them out and report on them would be right near the top. The obsessive need to track every aspect of a movie's development is weird. So, while I can't force you to refrain from further, ah, reporting, it would be appreciated if you refrained from further comment (even though Kevin Fiege has said the same thing a million times) lest you inadvertently let something slip. Some thing should be left as a surprise until the houselights go down.

....yet my post gave away no real spoiler--
At least, nothing even the casual trailer viewer hasn't noticed yet--that I didn't even mention.
With all respect intended, I think all you read was "spoiler alet," and not the rest.
One doesn't even need to read the casting list to see it....

Pale Horse

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
I would like to be supportive, Pale, I really would but...

Of course you won't get it until you at least see The First Avenger, but for somebody who rather slavishly follows Lucas' Space Opera*, I find the above statement and the one about the fanciful merging with reality to be rather incongruous. Last time I checked humans didn't pal around with 7-foot tall furries or have meaningful conversations with obese slugs. Yet, I don't recall a single instance of Ford or Hamill elbowing each other in the ribs and/or winking at the camera.

What it sounds like you're saying: I can't accept any 'comic book' movie that takes itself seriously, because I just know that meta-humans can't exist, even extremely low level ones like Captain America.

This certainly makes sense, and I pondered this in on the way to work.

Although I must say, *I've no sycophant love for the Lucas Space Opera. Certainly not the whole of the 6 films, (maybe an understandable nostalgia for the first three). I've not read the expanded universe, and I really don't think they'll ever capture the magic of the early 80's. Even with Disney involved. I'm thinking maybe some smarmy replies in the past might lead you to believe that, or I mistyped some sarcasm. Nevertheless, it doesn't negate the validity of the arguement.

I think beyond the disclaimer above, you're right that if there are two camps of thought here; A) being normal humans interacting in fantasticaly settings and B) meta/super humans interacting in normal settings, I will always side toward normal humans. I think the same comparison could be the zombie world vs. the vampire world. It'd be an interesting study or thread elsewhere, to be sure.

To that end, isn't Capt'n 'Murica, a normal human, similar to Wolverine, whose core lies in the fact that they've been altered (again similar to the Hulk) through extraordinary circumstances? Perhaps that's why I gravitate more to them.

And many of you are right, I should see The First Avenger, before rendering a final judgement. But no one can fault me for being a bit jaded to the overexposure and general lack of quality out there, right? Even if I've picked the wrongs ones to see.

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
I think beyond the disclaimer above, you're right that if there are two camps of thought here; A) being normal humans interacting in fantasticaly settings and B) meta/super humans interacting in normal settings, I will always side toward normal humans. I think the same comparison could be the zombie world vs. the vampire world. It'd be an interesting study or thread elsewhere, to be sure.

To that end, isn't Capt'n 'Murica, a normal human, similar to Wolverine, whose core lies in the fact that they've been altered (again similar to the Hulk) through extraordinary circumstances? Perhaps that's why I gravitate more to them.

Wolverine was born a mutant (healing factor, bone claws, animal senses), but I agree that he's one of the more engaging characters in Mavel-verse. He was altered later (adamantium) which adds another dimension to his long-lived history.

Best bits of the films for me are when characters are simply talking or engaging with one another. The grand spectacle of the seemingly never-ending punch-up becomes repetitive. Just get to the point already. It's worse because there's often so little of the real involved, because it would be impossible to accomplish without CGI.

What I've seen of this batch of Marvel films so far is that they hit a very base level and rarely attempt to rise above it to claim to be anything more.

The only one that I could say that drew me back to a second viewing was Iron Man.

Pale Horse said:
And many of you are right, I should see The First Avenger, before rendering a final judgement. But no one can fault me for being a bit jaded to the overexposure and general lack of quality out there, right? Even if I've picked the wrongs ones to see.

There really isn't much to choose from.

Of the films you listed earlier, I would pick The Watchmen, Hellboy, The Punisher (+ War Zone) and The Crow over any of these Avengers based movies.

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
But no one can fault me for being a bit jaded to the overexposure and general lack of quality out there, right? Even if I've picked the wrongs ones to see.

When it comes to superhero movies, I say we're past the How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb stage. When it comes to super hero movies, its not over-exposure, it's the new normal.

I wouldn't worry too much about the order you watch them (and I don't think simply watching First Avenger is going to help resolve your dilemma) but I do have a suggestion. Wait to watch First Avenger until right before Winter Soldier (And if you have time, re-watch the Avengers before going to see Winter Soldier.) -- but also watch and compare these films with a couple of garbage super hero flics, like Green Lantern and Man of Steel. Then come back and tells us your thoughts.

heard they are contemplating a Black Widow solo movie...

A C-level character...plus one over-rated "actress"...too much screen time...worth $20 million dollars for Avengers 2? Really? And is any fan really asking for solo Black Widow movies?

Anyone dream of how much more they could put into these movies with $20 million more to spare? Well, I guess you could pay Hulk, Cap, and Thor a bit more...sure....makes sense...recognizable, iconic characters...sure....

kongisking

featofstrength said:
heard they are contemplating a Black Widow solo movie...

A C-level character...plus one over-rated "actress"...too much screen time...worth $20 million dollars for Avengers 2? Really? And is any fan really asking for solo Black Widow movies?

Anyone dream of how much more they could put into these movies with $20 million more to spare? Well, I guess you could pay Hulk, Cap, and Thor a bit more...sure....makes sense...recognizable, iconic characters...sure....

Because "less" famous characters don't deserve a chance to shine, of course. We all know that. After all, Iron Man has always been a total household name, right? Couldn't have possibly had something to do with him being given a good movie to do the character justice.

Disclaimer: that is sarcasm. Look it up, it pops up a lot around here...

Le Saboteur

featofstrength said:
And is any fan really asking for solo Black Widow movies?

Yes. And Captain Marvel; Miss Marvel; Wonder Woman; She-Hulk; American Dream; X-23; Silver Sable; Black Cat, and any of the other thousand-plus superheroines in Marvel & DC's catalog.

featofstrength said:
A C-level character...plus one over-rated "actress"...too much screen time...worth $20 million dollars for Avengers 2? Really?

Everybody knows that 'actress' is still synonymous with hoor!

featofstrength said:
Anyone dream of how much more they could put into these movies with $20 million more to spare? Well, I guess you could pay Hulk, Cap, and Thor a bit more...sure....makes sense...recognizable, iconic characters...sure..

No. Because cast and crew are considered above the board expenses and what a studio spends on the talent doesn't mean they're going to invest the difference back into the production cost.

I can watch this for hours.

tumblr_lk0l4jT0oh1qg7kr9o1_500.gif

Hit 'em high, hit 'em high, hit 'em high...

captain-america-winter-soldier.jpg

Maybe the next shot has Cap backslapping Natasha across the room!

I can watch the genuine article for hours:
emma-peel-03.jpg

and she was making less than some of the camera operators.

bet they aren't going to pay Elizabeth Olsen 1/10th of what she deserves.

Montana Smith

This looks pretty good.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SOo_vmNqsTA?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

inky_skin

Le Saboteur said:
Even the Brits got a new trailer! It's for the best though, since they have to suffer through the fact that Captain Britain will never get his own movie or be as awesome. They'll have to stick to comforting themselves with the plush leather seating of their Jaguars.

S'okay Le Sab, we'll just console ourselves with the fact that we get to see Winter Soldier a whole week before the Yanks do ;)

And while we haven't had a Captain Britain movie, at least Union Jack already made it to screen in The First Avenger under the guise of James Montgomery Falsworth.

Lance Quazar

inky_skin said:
S'okay Le Sab, we'll just console ourselves with the fact that we get to see Winter Soldier a whole week before the Yanks do ;)

I think we know who really holds the trump card when it comes to recent Captain America connections.

:D

inky_skin

Lance Quazar said:
I think we know who really holds the trump card when it comes to recent Captain America connections.

:D

Touche Lance. I'll let you recount the tale, but don't forget - she's one of ours and you can't have her.

So - body on the slab in the trailer. Who is your money on ? Fury ?

Last edited:

Lance Quazar

inky_skin said:
Touche Lance. I'll let you recount the tale,

I'm afraid that's classified.

inky_skin said:
but don't forget - she's one of ours and you can't have her.

We'll see...What do you have that could compare to our burritos and In N Out Burger??

inky_skin said:
So - body on the slab in the trailer. Who is your money on ? Fury ?

Spoilers won't follow because I haven't seen the movie, but SPECULATIVE SPOILERS will -

My guess

Fury fakes his death to go underground, as SHIELD gets compromised somehow.

The movie involves Cap also going rogue and ultimately leaving SHIELD as well.

Joe Brody

i must say the new red posters look very nice. It'll be interesting to see what this does at the box office the first weekend.

Le Saboteur

inky_skin said:

And yet not a single peep, but that's okay. This Yank attended a sneak preview in conjunction with the world premiere and saw it twice today. So, that's three times. You're treading water at this point!

inky_skin said:
And while we haven't had a Captain Britain movie, at least Union Jack already made it to screen in The First Avenger under the guise of James Montgomery Falsworth.

Yes, yes he was. While I don't foresee either getting a solo flick anytime soon (read: ever) I've long thought that an Excalibur-like team could do well. They'll be Euro-Avengers! Have Captain Britain lead, of course, and fill in the rest of the movers and shakers as appropriate.

Joe Brody said:
i must say the new red posters look very nice. It'll be interesting to see what this does at the box office the first weekend.

They do look nice. Nothing though has been as well done as The First Avenger's promo materials. They really nailed the period aspect of the flick. For a comic book company though, I would expect much, much better posters and promo materials.e., The Wolverine had really, really swell teaser posters.

captain-america-the-first-avenger-mondo-poster-2-400x600.jpg

After doing $80-million overseas (including an astounding $10-million plus in the UK), The Winter Soldier is expected to come very close to a $100-million dollar opening weekend.

The Hollywood Reporter said:
Captain America 2 is projected to gross $37 or more on Friday, including $10.2 million earned Thursday night.

Thursday night's gross was ahead of the $7.1 million in Thursday night grosses for last November's Thor: The Dark World, which went on to gross $85.7 million for the weekend, as well as summer 2013 tentpole Man of Steel, which took in $9 million Thursday night for a $116.6 million weekend. It also came in ahead of December 2013 offering The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ($8.8 million).

Full article: Box Office: Friday Shows 'Captain America: Winter Soldier' Headed for Record $93 Million-Plus Debut

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Spoilers:

tumblr_l96ori9Pmw1qcqlp3.jpg

SHIELD now has a supply of Acme portable holes, which always seem to lead to underground Jeffries Tubes. They have been explained on the tv show as recently invented "mouse holes" and should be standard issue from now on. I look forward to noting their lack of implementation. (No word yet on that undelivered package of Time Turners.)

This franchise's mythology remains solid, though not so cohesive with the others. Again the Avengers seem less than super friends when 10 trillion or 1 million lives are at stake. Maybe there was a hint these sequels are happening concurrently and I missed it? And when it comes to mentioning Magneto's kids and the "age of mutants" in the mid-credits scene, 20th Century Fox won't let them do either.