The new "Shadow"

PhantomStranger

From MTV news:
Published by Casey Seijas on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 1:50 pm.

'The Shadow'Around 2007, rumors of a possible revamp of longtime pulp stalwart ?The Shadow? began popping up around the message boards, fueled by veteran producer Michael Uslan?s insistence that this time around he?d be offering fans a take on the character that?s more true to his roots. Then, when word got out that Sam Raimi was onboard as a fellow producer, fans knew this vision of The Shadow would be vastly different from the 1994 offering.

For those of you holding out hope that Uslan would stay true to his word about a new take on the character, you won?t be disappointed.

?I think the one thing going in is we all see The Shadow as more of a force of nature than a specific person in a secret identity,? Uslan told MTV in an exclusive interview. ?The Shadow may actually be many people.?

?We?ve gone back to the pulp roots, the comic book roots of The Shadow, with a dash of the radio roots,? added Uslan. ?But we?ve deeply ensconced ourselves in the world of pulps and comics.?

Sounds cool to us, but that begged the question of when we?ll see this ?Shadow? revamp hit the multiplex.

?Sam [Raimi] and Josh Donen are my partners and we have it set up Sony, and a wonderful writer named Siavash Farahani who has worked for me before is writing the screenplay,? Uslan said. ?It?s coming along great, we?re very excited about it. You know, it takes time to nurture these things. You probably know all the stories. The first ?Batman? film took me 10 years to get made.?

S

DocWhiskey

I'd like a Shadow movie with The Shadow as the main character. He was a caped crime fighter. And if they truly read the source material as they claim, they would know that. He's not a group of people. He'd have help but there was only one Shadow.

Don't do to the Shadow what Miller did to the Spirit.

But then again, who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of these men?

jonesissparrow

DocWhiskey said:
Don't do to the Shadow what Miller did to the Spirit.

But then again, who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of these men?

Oooh I like that quote, but yeah this is interesting I would like to see a faithful adaptation of the series. I'm a big fan of the Shadow I try to listen to every one of the radio programs available to me if I possible can. I have yet seen the 1994 version.

RaideroftheArk

jonesissparrow said:
Oooh I like that quote, but yeah this is interesting I would like to see a faithful adaptation of the series. I'm a big fan of the Shadow I try to listen to every one of the radio programs available to me if I possible can. I have yet seen the 1994 version.

1994 version: There were a lot of elements from the books and the radio show with some liberties taken by the writers of the script, but overall, it wasn't that bad of a flick, but like many "superhero" movies it was very campy at times.

I usually loop it in with movies like the Rocketeer, Sky Captain and Flash Gordon...movies that aren't suppose to be taken so seriously.

I'm pretty sure they will make a much DARKER revival once the ball gets rolling, but I would hate to see it done in the style of Sin City or The Spirit. I wouldn't mind seeing a big production period piece made out of The Shadow, I think they could pull it off and give us something really spectacular to look at.

Indy fan 235

I recently read a Shadow pulp novel (as well as a Doc Savage) and really enjoyed it. I hope the new movie will be fun.

I really love this pulp stuff and love the Rocketeer. In the original comic, both Doc Savage and The Shadow appear in it.