Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Ratatouille

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • WALL-E

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

roundshort

So Cars came out this weekend.

Being a fan of Disney, I am always curious to see the new Pixar movies. I think Pixar is probablyt he best thing to happen to Disney since they opened the three Indiana Jones attractions in three parks.
I liked Cars, thought it was a bit to long and safe. It missed some of the more adult themed humor that Toy Story 2 (my personal favorite) had.

Any thoughts?

Hell, I just realized that I missed the Incredibles (which is a solid number 2 favorite for me, oh well I should probably log off of here and do some work!) Please feel free (not that I need to tell anyone to feel free here) to write The Incredibles in!)

Last edited:

Cammy

I loved the original Toy Story. It was one of my favourite animated movie when I was a kid. Then I grew up and found more and more wonderful animated movies. I generally don't like Pixar's work though, because they seem to think that CG animation is only for kids and they can't really do anything too spectacular for adults with it. I like CG when it's not overused, but I prefer it to blend in with something like Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Narnia.

IndyBuff

Toy Story is probably my favorite Pixar film, although The Incredibles comes pretty close. I've enjoyed all of the their films so far, although I've heard mixed things about Cars.

Junior Jones

I took my family to see Cars this weekend and it was excellent. Lots of comedy, but also a great story with a lot of heart. (Impressive, considering cars don't have hearts.) Actually I was able to completely empathize with these vehicles, and even got "sniffly" a few times. I've never been on Route 66, but the small town nostalgia...

IAdventurer01

The Incredibles has to be my favorite Pixar movie. Heck, it is one of my absolute favorite movies, period. However, I have yet to see Cars, but it'll have to be incredibly (for lack of a better word) :p good to be my favorite.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Cars lacked adult humor? So female cars flashing their headlights and Owen Wilson admiring a lower back tattoo (like in Wedding Crashers) was too G-rated for ya roundshort?

Cars is up there with Incredibles. But it's not another action flick. Ebert says "there's less at stake here, and no child-surrogate to identify with." It's a childless world, with no hints at where cars come from. Some kids may squirm, but only a little. The payoff is still huge. When they explain the interstate, you think of the hours you spend commuting... and they've set you up for the emotional suckerpunch.

I grew up with Toy Story so that's my favorite.
It seems like everything Pixar puts out becomes a hit. :) ...And I still haven't seen The Incredibles. <small>*Holds up flame resistant shield*</small> :cool:

Abe Vayoda

I loe them all... but, just for fun, here's how I would rank them :D
Based on a scale of 1-10, and only comparing each pixar film against the others.

Finding Nemo 10/10 - An almost perfect movie, the animation was beautiful, but what really sells it is the terrific voice cast, the enchanting music, and the clever screenplay. Everything is such a joy to watch, and everyone behind the scenes seem to be having a ball.
Toy Story 2 9.5/10 One of the few sequels I feel is better than the original. The screenplay, while nearly being a mirror of the first, somehow still feels fresh and unique. Some delightful humor, and even better character interaction between the supporting cast. What really made this movie soar was taking them out of Andy's room for much of the movie and really letting them explore.
The Incredibles 9.5/10 -The screenplay wasn't near as tight, but easily one of the most clever twists on Superhero stories I've seen. Also, the best Pixar soundtrack they've had so far. The cape sequence is worth the price of admission alone. A great send-up to classic 60's spy thrillers.
Toy Story 9/10 - I grew up with this one, and despite my minor qualms, it will always be one of my favorites. I remember being enthralled by the characters and animation when I first saw it in theatres. One of the few kids movies to really capture my imagination and really send it flying at that age. Toy Story will always have a place in my heart.
Monsters Inc 8.5/10 -The screenplay isn't as great, but the interaction between Mike and Sully is terrific, and surprisingly adult for a "kiddy" flick. The relationship and bond between these two are really felt at the beginning, and I always find myself cheering them on. Unfortunately, the main plot involving the two villains I don't think is near as fun or engaging as the secondary plot between the two heroes.
Cars 8.5/10 - Where this movie mostly disappoints is with it's supporting cast. For the most part (except for Bonnie Hunt and Paul Newman) very little time is spent developing the supporting roles. Which wouldn't be near as much a problem if the supporting cast were as entertaining as some of Pixars other characters. Even with little screentime, Slinky Dog manages to be an entertaining and fan-loved character, unfortunately this movies supporting cast didn't do it for me. Instead, the movie focuses on the main characters INNER journey (which was a nice touch, in my opinion). One thing that both interested me and at the same time disappointed me was the isolation in the movie. I didn't get a sense of GOING somewhere like I usually do with a Pixar movie. This time around I felt stuck and isolated. Which was a good effective device, considering the main characters dilemma. Again, the ending makes it worth it (I loved the little car changing tires)
A Bugs Life 8/10 - This is one where the real leads are it's supporting cast. They are fun and witty, and offers the best laughs, and the most heartfelt moments. The love story between the two ants held very little interest for me, but the supporting cast arc did. I found their eventual triumph much more rewarding the two ants gettin' it on. Unfortunately, the screenplay just doesn't hold up on repeat viewings and I find myself getting bored after a while. Still, the end payoff makes it a more than worthwhile entry and better than most of the crap hollywood dredges out currently.

Again, this is just for fun, a lot of spare time on my hands lately... :-D

roundshort

Abe Vayoda said:
I loe them all... but, just for fun, here's how I would rank them :D
Based on a scale of 1-10, and only comparing each pixar film against the others.

Finding Nemo 10/10 - An almost perfect movie, the animation was beautiful, but what really sells it is the terrific voice cast, the enchanting music, and the clever screenplay. Everything is such a joy to watch, and everyone behind the scenes seem to be having a ball.
Toy Story 2 9.5/10 One of the few sequels I feel is better than the original. The screenplay, while nearly being a mirror of the first, somehow still feels fresh and unique. Some delightful humor, and even better character interaction between the supporting cast. What really made this movie soar was taking them out of Andy's room for much of the movie and really letting them explore.
The Incredibles 9.5/10 -The screenplay wasn't near as tight, but easily one of the most clever twists on Superhero stories I've seen. Also, the best Pixar soundtrack they've had so far. The cape sequence is worth the price of admission alone. A great send-up to classic 60's spy thrillers.
Toy Story 9/10 - I grew up with this one, and despite my minor qualms, it will always be one of my favorites. I remember being enthralled by the characters and animation when I first saw it in theatres. One of the few kids movies to really capture my imagination and really send it flying at that age. Toy Story will always have a place in my heart.
Monsters Inc 8.5/10 -The screenplay isn't as great, but the interaction between Mike and Sully is terrific, and surprisingly adult for a "kiddy" flick. The relationship and bond between these two are really felt at the beginning, and I always find myself cheering them on. Unfortunately, the main plot involving the two villains I don't think is near as fun or engaging as the secondary plot between the two heroes.
Cars 8.5/10 - Where this movie mostly disappoints is with it's supporting cast. For the most part (except for Bonnie Hunt and Paul Newman) very little time is spent developing the supporting roles. Which wouldn't be near as much a problem if the supporting cast were as entertaining as some of Pixars other characters. Even with little screentime, Slinky Dog manages to be an entertaining and fan-loved character, unfortunately this movies supporting cast didn't do it for me. Instead, the movie focuses on the main characters INNER journey (which was a nice touch, in my opinion). One thing that both interested me and at the same time disappointed me was the isolation in the movie. I didn't get a sense of GOING somewhere like I usually do with a Pixar movie. This time around I felt stuck and isolated. Which was a good effective device, considering the main characters dilemma. Again, the ending makes it worth it (I loved the little car changing tires)
A Bugs Life 8/10 - This is one where the real leads are it's supporting cast. They are fun and witty, and offers the best laughs, and the most heartfelt moments. The love story between the two ants held very little interest for me, but the supporting cast arc did. I found their eventual triumph much more rewarding the two ants gettin' it on. Unfortunately, the screenplay just doesn't hold up on repeat viewings and I find myself getting bored after a while. Still, the end payoff makes it a more than worthwhile entry and better than most of the crap hollywood dredges out currently.

Again, this is just for fun, a lot of spare time on my hands lately... :-D

WOW, Abe Thanks for the really well thought out reply! Dang, impressive. I did like John Ratzenberger's "outtake" I thought that was one of the best of all the PIxar's!

Abe Vayoda

... I don't sleep well at night's...

roundshort said:
I did like John Ratzenberger's "outtake" I thought that was one of the best of all the PIxar's!

I guess I missed that... I'll have to watch it again.

Katarn07

Love Toy Story and Toy Story 2 equally. Incredibles and Monsters Inc come in close second. Finding Nemo was a bit too kiddy but fun watching through the first time, and I hated Bug's Life.