Is the Indiana Jones Franchise dead?

Brooke Logan

They might make another movie but if they do I hope it's better written than the last one. I think they need to add some new, more interesting characters because what I really disliked about KOTCS was not the artifact/aliens but the characters. They were flat and not memorable at all like the ones from the first three movies. And the returning characters didn't click either for me.

I still think there can be merchandise made. I'm still hoping Sideshow does a 12" Marion and Willie.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Lucas has officialy retired so yes, the Indy franchise is dead. And it went down with Kingdom :(

Indy's brother

Sakis said:
Lucas has officialy retired so yes, the Indy franchise is dead. And it went down with Kingdom :(

It certainly seems that way. But I'm having a difficult time understanding what it is he will be doing, and for what duration, until he starts making those "hobby movies" (whatever that means).

Lucas will become Co-Chairman of the Board of Lucasfilm and continue as CEO.
Link.

I mean, just for the sake of doing it, I'll say that he will still be in a position to make an Indy 5 before he gives up completely. He has said as recently as May 1, 2012 (just over 5 weeks ago) "I AM working on a 5th Indiana Jones." So, there's that....

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a morsel I couldn't fit into the news feed:
"Since we just made the announcement about Kathleen Kennedy on Friday, it is too early for her to make any decisions about existing franchises," a company spokeswoman tells me. "But I love your enthusiasm in asking."
While most sites regurgitated the press release, Variety did some actual reporting:
[Chief operating officer Micheline] Chau agreed the selection of Kennedy means Lucasfilm is likely to expand its film slate going forward. "We are a fully integrated entertainment company, and everything leverages everything else. Movies are a big part of that."

Chau added that includes both new projects and existing franchises Star Wars and Indiana Jones. "It's very important to bring somebody in that respects the legacy. But for any company to thrive, we have to continue to create product, and new product is part of the fabric."
With Robopocalypse pushed to Summer 2014, hopefully Kennedy and Spielberg (who "keeps an office adjoining Lucas' at Industrial Light & Magic's Presidio digs") will have time to scheme and can report on the state of the coup when Lincoln premieres in December.

Vance

I think the question about continuing anything (much less Indiana Jones) will have to be this: "Can the new staff at LucasFilm actually override George Lucas?"

Sadly, I think the answer is still 'no' which means we won't see much in the way of the major franchises that exist as anything but Lucas's vanity pieces. Realistically, until he's no longer in charge of the company, we won't see an Indiana Jones 5 - at least not one that's actually worth seeing.

Orellana

If the franchise is dead, I'm angry!:mad:

Vance said:
I think the question about continuing anything (much less Indiana Jones) will have to be this: "Can the new staff at LucasFilm actually override George Lucas?"

Sadly, I think the answer is still 'no' which means we won't see much in the way of the major franchises that exist as anything but Lucas's vanity pieces. Realistically, until he's no longer in charge of the company, we won't see an Indiana Jones 5 - at least not one that's actually worth seeing.

Darn :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.Jonesy

In my opinion, it's dead.

No new games, no merchandise, no cartoon/TV series, and hardly and prospects of a new film.

If it's not dead, it's certainly in a coma.

Either way, it was a wasted franchise of potential from 1990-2007.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Orellana said:
If the franchise is dead, I'm angry!:mad:

I prefer it to be dead than become another Batman & Robin or a stupid reboot like The Amazing Spider-Man.

Finn

Staff member
"Death" of a franchise occurs when there isn't enough revenue for the merchandise other than the main thing. The latest film, despite all its controversiality, was an economic success, but sadly there wasn't enough of us to keep the boat afloat by proving TPBT that having more is worthwhile.

On the plus side, at least we can claim some level of individuality. So put up your chins, mates, it's "hip" to be an Indyfan.

tnswman

Thinking on this, I more feel that the "story" is complete. However, that leaves plenty of room for video games ( the true money maker in entertainment now ), books, comics, etc.

As much as I crave and hope for Indy 5. The likelyhood of that happening is slim. Alive but slim. If it does happen, then all of this is for nothing anyway LOL!

Stoo

Dr.Jonesy said:
In my opinion, it's dead.

No new games, no merchandise, no cartoon/TV series, and hardly and prospects of a new film.
It isn't dead (yet) because there *is* new merchandise coming out: The Blu-rays!(y)
Dr.Jonesy said:
Either way, it was a wasted franchise of potential from 1990-2007.
Where were you during that time? The years between 1990-2007 produced:

33+ hours of a TV show!
20 novels with new stories (12 English + 8 German)
22 Young Indy novels with new stories (15 English + 7 French)
41 Dark Horse comic book issues (9 titles)
05 UK comic strip titles
03 French comic books/graphic novels
04 new role-playing adventures
07 (maybe more) video games
...and much more!

Hardly what one could call, "a wasted franchise of potential".:rolleyes:

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Montana Smith said:
I beg to differ. ;)

After Lucas dumped #4 on top of a perfectly good trilogy it's not as hip as it used to be.

Somehow I think that the same disappointment followed the release of Temple but to be honest I don't see the patern being repeated with another Last Crusade.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Sakis said:
Somehow I think that the same disappointment followed the release of Temple but to be honest I don't the ratern being repeated with another Last Crusade.

I don't know what you said at the end there, but I remember the heady days of TOD, and they were good! :cool:

Back then the controversy surrounding TOD was what made it even better.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
I mean that I don't believe they will make another film so good as an apology, as they did back in 1989 with Crusade.