Indy 5 news 2018

Randy_Flagg

Raiders112390 said:
Would that amount indicate he's leading the film? Or does the pay not relate to screen time?
Considering that Mark Hamill got paid more than Daisy Ridley for his appearance in The Force Awakens, I guess we can't assume the pay directly represents the amount of screen time. Having Harrison's name attached to Indy 5 is probably extremely important to Disney, even if his role isn't particularly large, so I'm sure they're willing to pay for it. (Having said that, though, I'd be stunned if Harrison's role in Indy 5 is as small as Mark's role was in TFA.)

DARTH ZOIDBERG

Randy_Flagg said:
I'd much prefer a live-action reboot set in the late 1920s. Cartoons just don't do it for me anymore (though, considering that I'm in my early 40s now, I guess that's to be expected, and I realize I'm probably not the target demographic. Nevertheless, I AM selfish, and I want something I'LL enjoy, so I say they should do the live-action reboot ;) )
My dad Is in his 60's born in 1954 He loves The Clone Wars Cartoon and Star Wars Rebels Cartoon age has nothing to do with it but Quality does.

TheFirebird1

Face_Palm said:
Heard about this. From what I've seen, I think Jon can pull it off. Solo wasn't the greatest movie ever made, but it was fun enough, and I think he'll be able to handle Indy 5 pretty well. Nothing against David Koepp (I think he's a fantastic writer) but it's time for the series to be given some fresh air.
I do wonder, however, if this will lead to a rehash of the Darabont v. Lucas feud back in 07, where there were some disputes over screenwriting credits.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Best part of that (collider) article:

...And that?s the thing. We don?t know the nature of Kasdan?s gig, so there are a few things we want to get straight. We aren?t sure if he?s rewriting Koepp?s existing script, or merely doing a two-week polish, or if he?s starting completely from scratch. We also don?t know if Kasdan is writing the script with a partner ? perhaps his father, Lawrence Kasdan, with whom he wrote Solo, and who counts Raiders of the Lost Ark among his many credits. We also don?t know when Koepp left the project or when Kasdan was hired, be it before or after Solo opened below expectations, so it?s possible that he has been working on Indy 5 for some time now. As for who will ultimately get credit, we?ll leave that up to the WGA to decide.

...emphasis added.

TheFirebird1

Re: the Collider article. I remember reading GQ's profile of Harrison Ford back in October 2017, when he was doing the press junket for Blade Runner 2049. In it, he basically stated that the script was finished. I'd say it's safe to assume that Kasdan's simply being brought in to retool parts of Koepp's script, giving the time constraints, but this production has been pushed back so many times that it's hard to tell. There's definitely a lack of firm communication between Lucasfilms and the public, which is leading to the confusion shown in the article. Based on the (light) info we have, it's fair to say that Koepp left the project anywhere between October of last year and June of this year, which means there's at least an eight month gap for when Kasdan would've started his work on the script.
As I stated before, it seems that the film's production is sliding into KotCS levels of screenwriting craziness. That would be unfortunate.

Raiders90

Loled at this comment: "Indiana Jones and his diverse team of gender fluid/social justice warrior students scour the globe to locate and destroy the patriarchy."

TheFirebird1

Raiders112390 said:
It has essentially been canceled.
I hope not, but I see where you're coming from. It's like the film will soon be postponed into oblivion. However, the article didn't exactly say how far it would be postponed, so I think an early 2021 release is feasible. Anything beyond that would be ludicrous.

Raiders90

TheFirebird1 said:
I hope not, but I see where you're coming from. It's like the film will soon be postponed into oblivion. However, the article didn't exactly say how far it would be postponed, so I think an early 2021 release is feasible. Anything beyond that would be ludicrous.

I've said this before, and no one believed me, but LF is waiting for Harrison to die. KK dislikes him for ideological reasons, and they see him as an obstacle for filmmaking reasons. They view him as an albatross, his presence in the film a Catch 22. What better way to relaunch Indy than on the back of the public's memory of Harrison? They will capitalize on Gen X's grief and such. I will say it now: You will not see an Indy film until Harrison Ford passes away.

Of course, when they go public with the delay (which I will guess right now is pushed back to 2022 or 2023), they will blame Solo in some form, even if not directly (you know, in good studio-ese).

He will die, they will push the film out soon after, riding on his memory. "We're doing what Harrison would've wanted us to do, this film will be a celebration of the character he shaped and helped create. This will be a love letter to the fans, to Harrison's fans, and we're doing this to honor his memory. Adventure still has a name, and it is still Indiana Jones, and I know Harrison would approve."

TheFirebird1

Pale Horse said:

They really should have done my Tree of Life idea. When they had the chance. Or Deadlock's Realm of the Dead, or any of the ones submitted here.
I remember hearing a rumor about the beards using the Vajra as a McGuffin for Indy 5. I think that'd be cool, especially as it was such a devastating weapon in Hindu mythology.
Considering the delays, though, I think I'll find the Ark of the Covenant before I see Harrison back in the fedora. :(

Indy Jones

Raiders112390 said:
I've said this before, and no one believed me, but LF is waiting for Harrison to die. KK dislikes him for ideological reasons, and they see him as an obstacle for filmmaking reasons. They view him as an albatross, his presence in the film a Catch 22. What better way to relaunch Indy than on the back of the public's memory of Harrison? They will capitalize on Gen X's grief and such. I will say it now: You will not see an Indy film until Harrison Ford passes away.

Of course, when they go public with the delay (which I will guess right now is pushed back to 2022 or 2023), they will blame Solo in some form, even if not directly (you know, in good studio-ese).

He will die, they will push the film out soon after, riding on his memory. "We're doing what Harrison would've wanted us to do, this film will be a celebration of the character he shaped and helped create. This will be a love letter to the fans, to Harrison's fans, and we're doing this to honor his memory. Adventure still has a name, and it is still Indiana Jones, and I know Harrison would approve."

Um, you do know that Kennedy has been working with Harrison for decades, friends too, I imagine. She's been a producer on the series going back to Temple of Doom. For what reason would she suddenly not like him, after knowing him for over thirty years??

IF anyone is trying to push Harrison out of the role, it would be by Disney executives who want to rush to relaunch the character with a young face, not a longtime member of the Lucas/Spielberg buddies club, which Kathy is a part of. Think for two seconds before you start spouting some baseless agenda-driven drivel.

Look, I didn't like The Last Jedi either, but this 'blaming Kennedy for all of the evils of the world' thing is getting goddamn ridiculous. With all your whining about "the SJW agenda" at Lucasfilm and it "infecting" Indy 5, frankly, it's tiring.

Now, since Jonathan Kasdan has been brought onto Indy 5 as a writer, superficially, Disney still supports the project--it's not officially DOA. But I do agree, a delay on this particular project has most likely doomed it. It was a fun hope while it lasted.

TheFirebird1

rip-tombstone-md.png

Fare thee well, Indy 5, we hardly knew ye.
:gun: In all honesty, though, I'm still holding onto some hope for the film actually getting released. A man can dream, or at least try to.

Forbidden Eye

ugh, I?m SO pissed at Kathleen Kennedy for her lousy job at running Lucasfilm!:mad: :mad:

...of course, not all the blame goes to her, Iger and the rest of the Disney board only really care about pushing billion dollar franchises(and look how well the strategy is going, ie Solo).

Even Spielberg, doesn?t REALLY seem to care care. If he REALLY wanted this movie made, he would push for it and would probably release it now. But he seems happy to be making ?The Post?, a remake of ?West Side Story? or whatever boring project he has lined up.

Meanwhile, this 5th installment which should?ve been done at least half a decade ago, may never happen, but they tease us fans, over and over and over again.

Life is cruel.

TheFirebird1

Forbidden Eye said:
Even Spielberg, doesn?t REALLY seem to care care. If he REALLY wanted this movie made, he would push for it and would probably release it now. But he seems happy to be making ?The Post?, a remake of ?West Side Story? or whatever boring project he has lined up.

Meanwhile, this 5th installment which should?ve been done at least half a decade ago, may never happen, but they tease us fans, over and over and over again.

Life is cruel.
Yeah, I think Spielberg is kind of apathetic to the whole thing. I think for him Indiana Jones ended back in 1989. He's always been averse to more sequels, and I think he's content with pushing it back for a long time. I don't blame him, though. He's moved on as a director and I think we need to start accepting that. He wants to make more "mature" projects, and Indy doesn't fit within that scope.