Guess the year Indy V will be set

What year do you think Indy V will be set?

Votes: 2 5.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 8.6%

Votes: 1 2.9%

Votes: 4 11.4%

Votes: 6 17.1%

Votes: 9 25.7%

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters

Finn

Staff member
TheFirebird1 said:
First off, I know you're joking there, but the Grail's effect's immediately diminish once Indy passes the Great Seal.
That's not how the Grail works. Indy has every benefit from the drink he had beyond the seal as he had within the temple.

The catch with the Grail is that in order to achieve immortality, you have to go back for more. As in, you can be a mortal in the open, wide world, or immortal stuck in that hole.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Finn said:
The catch with the Grail is that in order to achieve immortality, you have to go back for more. As in, you can be a mortal in the open, wide world, or immortal stuck in that hole.

Is the water the key, then, to immortality or is it whatever liquid touches the grail?

TheFirebird1

Finn said:
That's not how the Grail works. Indy has every benefit from the drink he had beyond the seal as he had within the temple.

giphy.gif

The only real lasting "benefit" from the Grail is that it can heal you (used on his dad, who literally died thirteen years later) and that it can give you immortality (which is voided by crossing the Great Seal). So what benefits did Indy have from the Grail that I missed? It does nothing more for him at this point, and to suggest otherwise is to contradict what we've heard about the Grail in Indy lore.
I suppose I could've been clearer in my wording, however. What I was trying to say (and what I thought was clear, but on second reading probably isn't) was that Indy doesn't inherit any of the extreme longevity benefits that were promised with the Grail after passing the Seal.

Finn

Staff member
TheFirebird1 said:
The only real lasting "benefit" from the Grail is that it can heal you (used on his dad, who literally died thirteen years later) and that it can give you immortality (which is voided by crossing the Great Seal). So what benefits did Indy have from the Grail that I missed? It does nothing more for him at this point, and to suggest otherwise is to contradict what we've heard about the Grail in Indy lore.
The Grail never granted "real" immortality. As in, drink from it once, and - poof - you're immortal, but you have to keep drinking from it to prevent aging. It's the reason why the Knight is an old, feeble man - he hasn't drunk from the Grail often enough to maintain his youth (and he flat out says it out loud in the novelization), and has aged as a result.

So whatever benefits Indy gained from the Grail - perhaps a year or two of extra longevity - were not nullified/diminished when he crossed the seal. But because he couldn't take the Grail with him, he should've remained in the chamber and keep drinking from the cup regularly to achieve anything resembling an eternal life.

And, oh, midi-chlorians are totally canon. Sorry.

Pale Horse said:
Is the water the key, then, to immortality or is it whatever liquid touches the grail?
Hmm. If it was only the water in the basin in the chamber, you'd think it would have run out a long ago.

Finn

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
Come to think of it, I didn't see a toilet...
Ah yes, the old Christian tradition: In order to sanctify a liquid, it needs to pass through a holy man.

TheFirebird1

Finn said:
=And, oh, midi-chlorians are totally canon. Sorry.
giphy.gif

This is most definitely for a different thread, but I don't think that the midichlorians were actually all that bad. It kind of seemed like a pastiche of real science mixed with stereotypical Eastern religions, but it could've been a lot worse.
As for when the film is set, I'd like it to be 1962. I think that could work out quite nicely.

emtiem

As for when the film is set, I'd like it to be 1962. I think that could work out quite nicely.

Three years later... I'm with you! :D Those 1950s cars in the Clapton location (there was even one from the 40s) just didn't suggest they were trying to evoke late 60s to me- there wasn't a single one made after 1958 that we saw. Unless this film is set over the course of several years- who knows.

Nerdpants

The jump between Indy 3 and 4 was exactly the difference in release dates. So if they did that, the movie would be set in 1971.

However, from what has been released so far, it seems this movie will occur in the 1960's (excluding flashback scenes).

This may be in part due to the delays, I.e. it was the correct amount of years gap between films when it was going to be released somewhere between 2019 and 2021.

Given that Harrison Ford is significantly older than the last film, I doubt they would set this movie in the early 1960's or even mid 1960's. So it's almost certainly late 1960s (assuming it's in the 60s and not the 70s).

1969 is my guess.

emtiem

I guess it's useless to try and extrapolate, but the Glasgow filming (which seems to be for Indy but we're not 100% sure yet) appears to be set in NYC with a street parade going on. If they're setting it in a real parade and not a fictional one, there were quite a few so it doesn't really lock down a date. If it's not just a Thanksgiving Day parade (so potentially any year!), significant ones may be:

Charles De Gaulle's visit or JFK's nomination parade, both 1960
The Yankess winning the league, 1961
John Glenn / Yankees winning the World Series 1962
Apollo 11 astronauts / Mets 1969

Those seem to be the ones on first glance which might make a movie scene nowadays, although perhaps I missed something. There were a few more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ticker-tape_parades_in_New_York_City

Would the sports ones have all of the US flags out, considering they're local teams?

Personally, I think -if it isn't a fictional parade (which is very possible)- 1960 feels the most likely.

11YearsLater

Those seem to be the ones on first glance which might make a movie scene nowadays, although perhaps I missed something. There were a few more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ticker-tape_parades_in_New_York_City

Would the sports ones have all of the US flags out, considering they're local teams?

Personally, I think -if it isn't a fictional parade (which is very possible)- 1960 feels the most likely.

They put up a Welcome Home sign: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E5riNeAWEAAxG49?format=jpg&name=large

So considering that sign and the list of ticker tape parades in NYC in the 60s you linked to, it seems the parade is related to one of the following events:

1962 - Mercury-Atlas 6 mission
1962 - Mercury 7 mission
1963 - Mercury 9 mission
1965 - Gemini 3 mission
1969 - Apollo 8 mission
1969 - Apollo 11 mission

emtiem

They put up a Welcome Home sign: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E5riNeAWEAAxG49?format=jpg&name=large

So considering that sign and the list of ticker tape parades in NYC in the 60s you linked to, it seems the parade is related to one of the following events:

1962 - Mercury 7 mission
1963 - Mercury 9 mission
1965 - Gemini 3 mission
1969 - Apollo 8 mission
1969 - Apollo 11 mission
Ooh that’s great. Someone else did spot a Coke logo which was only seen from ‘69 onwards, which would suggest Apollo, but they may just be a mistake (they have hung a load of US flags the wrong way around!)

Of course it might be a welcome home to some fictional, incredibly famous young archaeologist or something, in which case we can’t glean the date from the set clues.

Z dweller

1962 - Mercury 7 mission
1963 - Mercury 9 mission
1965 - Gemini 3 mission
1969 - Apollo 8 mission
1969 - Apollo 11 mission
Great find!

1969, I suspect. It would tie in nicely with the space race plot theory. (y)

emtiem

This time next week we'll surely have a good idea if it's late or early 60s: you'd imagine there will be a load of cars around and probably people in costume which will help too.
Of course we might discover it's not for Indy at all! :D