Pulp-Adventure VFX Short

Indy89

This is a fun VFX project I started over a year ago. It's taken a LONG time to get it done and we're finally uploading it this July. It's basically a concept teaser/test film. This little clip shows just a sliver of the effects we have (CG airplanes, matte paintings, fight scenes, etc)

Thought you guys might enjoy it. As a fellow Indy fan, this was a tiny dream come true :D

Teaser (Coming in July)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsAgR66D78Q

Last edited:

Lance Quazar

Well, there's a lot of really fun stuff here and I did enjoy this, but I have a few critiques....

I think you should have maybe styled the entire short as a mock trailer. It would have made more sense, especially in the ending, where there are just a series of cool, but out of context shots and bits of action.

What was really missing, though, was any sense of character. The actors have barely any dialogue at all and it is all entirely functional and bland. We have no idea what these three are actually like. Sure, you only have a few minutes to work with, but you needed to put some actual lines in their mouths and give them at least a moment of humor or heart or humanity or....something. Some way to make them pop and feel like people (even stereotypes.)

At present, we get no sense of these three or why we should really care.

I think the first half, the newsreel, was the most effective because of its more rigid structure. It felt like a newsreel, we understood it, it worked.

The second half was more random and didn't feel as well thought out.

There are some really fun ideas here and terrific visuals and I don't want to be overly critical.

But all of the issues here are those of scripting. You should have spent more time writing and planning it out before you went in front of the cameras (and into the hard drives.)

In terms of actual execution, visuals, effects, you did a terrific job.

Thanks very much for sharing!

HenryJunior

Yeah it's a great VFX reel, but not a whole lot else. I don't want to undermine the work cause I know that stuff takes a lot of time, but I would like to see it used in something a little more fleshed out.

Overall you have succeeded, because I do want to see more! :D

Indy89

HenryJunior said:
Yeah it's a great VFX reel, but not a whole lot else. I don't want to undermine the work cause I know that stuff takes a lot of time, but I would like to see it used in something a little more fleshed out.

Overall you have succeeded, because I do want to see more! :D

Oh yea, that's all it's supposed to be! Just a VFX driven short. That's why I called it a VFX Short, haha. Nothing story driven, that stuff is coming later. ;)

But I'm glad you guys like how it looks. There is more coming, this is in now way an "official trailer," just a fun project to see if we could pull of these visual effects.

I just finished putting together this cool VFX Before & After breakdown, too. Kinda shows where all the work was with mattes, CG, etc. Fun stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89FQ__qw7Kg