Outlaw Foie Gras

roundshort

Ok things are getting a little to crazy in the good ol U S of A. They have banned the selling of Foie Gras in Chicago.

ok a very big

WTF

I don't care if you like it or don't, why is the Government getting involved with this?

I encourage all of you to go out and order a big heaping helping of Foie and enjoy it! If you have not had it, I recomend having it pan seared the first time, maybe with some Apricot/Peach Chutney and a good TBA Riesling. This is the stuff dreams are made of. The stepping off point for dinning Nirvana. If any Raven members are in the great city of Chicago, go out and eat and ask for Foie Gras. Many Smart chefs are finding the loop holes in this. The law says you can not charge for Foie. So they are giving it away as a "garnish" THe example I read, you will be charded $16 for roasted potatoes and find foie was a side!

go out and eat this great treat. I have cut down on my consumption of it, as I eat out 4 to 5 times a week, and well the stuff is fatty, but I guess I will just add a few more miles to my runs, bikes, and swims to keep off extra lbs (don't wanna be a chunky monkey, nobody likes that!)

Stupid animal rights people!

roundshort

ummm Austria nice . . .never had his Gewurtz auslesse, didn't even know he had one. Just had his 05 Gruner Rochusberg, nice producer. . .

We have an awesome chef that can rock some serious FG, I am a bigger fan of a nice foie gras torchon, I hardly ever have it pan seared any more. Esp with some great sea salt (hawaiin goes best with foie) and a nice Weil Kiedrich Grafenberg Auslee, the 03 is killer right now and should hit a dumb pahse for awhile, but will be back stong in about 6 years.

Next time you do a Turkey, mix in a liberal amount of Foie into the stuffing, you will not belive what hapens to the stuffing and the bird!

Pale Horse

Staff member
Foie Gras, is just a funny french name for fake grass, as opposed to Gras Réel, which is real grass.

It hurts the football players too much anymore.

There is more than enough really tasty food in the world without having to resort to unnecessarily torturing animals to produce it

I've had and enjoyed Foie Gras, but not so much that I'd miss it if it were gone

roundshort

ClintonHammond said:
There is more than enough really tasty food in the world without having to resort to unnecessarily torturing animals to produce it

I've had and enjoyed Foie Gras, but not so much that I'd miss it if it were gone

Once again, this is a type of perspective. what is tourtalure< Veal, raising animals to kill them, over feed them don't let them exercise, this is crazy that real money is spent on this stuff. lets feed allthe hungry people first rather than worry about what people are eating. I would be more worried about what people don't eat (or can't afford to eat) rather than a very small percent of food. Are you going to tell the Chinese not to eat Sharks Fin soup?

roundshort

ClintonHammond said:
"Are you going to tell the Chinese not to eat Sharks Fin soup?"

If I thought it'd make a lick of difference, abso-FKING-lootly!

Temp, Trust me why is an In & Out burger so good, that is the secert no body knows. Foie Gras is an expanded liver form a duck or goose. It has a texture like butter that melts in your mouth and wonderful flavor. Withs its texture it really picks up sweet flavors like peaches or apricots. Served in a tourchon or pan seared, with the sweet fruit and on a toasted piece of Brioche, with a nice sweet wine with reasonalbe acidty, it is great.

Food from around the world is the best way to help understand people. With the exception of sex, nothing int he world is more intimate than sharing a meal with someone. Sitting down with people for food of their culture and drink for there area is the BEST way to make friends. I make a living dowing this. I am very excited to start traveling more internationally and eating things, that to be honest, I may not be fired up about, but I do want to learn. It helps open thier mind. No one has the right to tell others how to eat, period.

"No one has the right to tell others how to eat, period."

Bull... when your methods are cruel, or unnecessarily wasteful, it is up to forward thinking, intelligent people to tell you so... That's one reason why, for instance, Canada is working towards banning the Black Bear hunt.... to keep ignorant jerks who have killed all the black bears in their countries from coming here and doing the same to ours

"are you a member of PETA?"
I am... but we spell it...

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

"Really barbaric"

Almost as barbaric as force-feeding an animal until it's liver nearly explodes, just so some wanker can spread it on his crackers....

Liver is a frigg'n filter organ anyway.... It's the place where all the toxins end up....

One may as well eat sphincter.... (Hotdogs I suppose eh....)

roundshort

temple of john said:
I can't believe I'm about to say this but...I agree. There has to some limit to just hunting an animal until extinction. The Asians over fishing Sharks is a great example. They catch Sharks by the millions, cut their fins off and throw them back into the water to drown. Really barbaric.

No I love all animals, If I didn't travel so much I would probably have a cat. Cats are amazing. I stayed at a Cheetah Ranch in Africa. These great people were basiclly paying sheep hearders to let them trap Cheetahs, instead of shooting them, which is legal. Then they put them on the 400 acre ranch (fenced in of course). They are working on relocating them and setting back inthe wild in other countires that do not have a lot Cheetahs, that is illegal in Africa, even though Ceetahs are quickly moving towards being endangered. My point is they are feed, they give donkeys and goats to eat. When they are welll fed, fat and happy, they still hunt. They will eat all the can. Humans are the same.

Yes I agree hunting to extinction is a bad thing. But, when you are rasing ANY animal for the purpose of eating, how do you draw the lines. I have been to Sonoma where they feed the animals for Foie Gras, and when they take the feeding tube out of them, they chase it, I don't know what the animal is thinking, NO ONE does, but it looks like they want more food, funny. In the old days, they would nail there feet to a board and force feed them, that well, that is sick.

In a GREAT restaurant in Paris, maybe one of my top three restaurants EVER
is LAmi Louis, Vaxer or anyone once that has been here back me up on this, is an amazing experience. There signature dish, is very awful if you think about, but it is SOOOOOOO good. They take a live duck, and drawn it in Cognac, good stuff even. then cook it, and serve it whole. The flavors are amazing. I will probably never eat this again, but yum!

All I know, it seems we have bigger things to worry about other than some little animals and how they are fed. Once again I will say, when no human goes hungry, homeless, or dies in war, terrorist attack, dies of aids, cancer, other horrible things, then I will worry about how a few ducks are fed.

Anyone here eat Lobster? These poor guys are thrown in a boiling pot of water? OUCH! Tell me that doesn't suck.

I still eat them, I go to Nantucket every year to eat these amazning little bugs.

roundshort

ClintonHammond said:
"Really barbaric"

Almost as barbaric as force-feeding an animal until it's liver nearly explodes, just so some wanker can spread it on his crackers....

Liver is a frigg'n filter organ anyway.... It's the place where all the toxins end up....

One may as well eat sphincter.... (Hotdogs I suppose eh....)

see this is how these arguments go down the toliet. we can have a debate, it is fun people do it. But then a guy like clint has to start using words like wanker, which as I am the one defending my position on eating foie gras, I can only assume that he means me. This is not nice, mature or a "grown up way of debating. Why do you have to go to so basic of a level. We were having a nice debate and you start throwing around stuff like this. I will ask that you try to keep a level of respect so this thread does not turn into a flame-a-thon like all the others, gets closed and someone gets banned or suspended. Clint, I know you like to call people wankers, but lets try not to do it here, ok?

" I can only assume that he means me"
Just goes to show you the dangers in assuming.....

Believe me... if I wanted to call you a wanker, there'd be no question in anyone's mind.

Nice try... but you're projecting.... again....

"when no human goes hungry, homeless, or dies in war, terrorist attack, dies of aids, cancer"
Why wait? We can do something abut the ducks right now.... we can't really do much about the other stuff.... and all progress is a good idea.... so do the small stuff, while figuring out how to do the big stuff

Do you wait until you've starved to death before you eat? No....
Do yo wait until you've bled to death before seeking medical attention? I hope not.....

roundshort

ClintonHammond said:
" I can only assume that he means me"
Just goes to show you the dangers in assuming.....

Believe me... if I wanted to call you a wanker, there'd be no question in anyone's mind.

Nice try... but you're projecting.... again....

No clint, I am not projecting, I am being very direct, if you think this is projecting, you need to look up the word. Like I said, i do not mind if anyone disagrees with me, but I don't want my abilty to order this tasty treat taken away from me. I think these debates would be a lot smoother, and more enjoyable if people, myself included try to limit insulting words. I understand if you can not grasp the concept.

roundshort

ClintonHammond said:
"I don't want my abilty to order this tasty treat taken away from me"
Oh well eh... you can't always get what you want

Well it isn't gone yet. Like I wrote above, the chefs of Chicago are finding ways around it. I would love to see Thomas Keller ever take foie out of his kitchen! There are so many bigger issues to worry about, why food?

roundshort

ClintonHammond said:
So then why are you worried about it?

Because US officals are wasting time and money passing these laws. People can be so swayed when they listen to radicals. Taek Bears, i have had bear, it is good, I am not a fan of overly gamey meat, and I was not a huge fan of it, like Mt. Lion, I would not eat it again. I do not want the abilty to be taken away form others. i haev also become aware of Karma police (not the awesome song by radiohead, which does rock) but I now believe you do not eat anything that can, and will eat you. No more shark, Lion, gator etc for this boy, but turle soup, a PA favorite since time began, yum!