Any skaters?

Nurhachi1991

Ive been skateboarding on and off since I was 10 but was never really good at it. I recently got back into it and got a 1970s style Santa Cruz cruiser board and have been carving up all the streets and sidewalks (y)

Any other Skateboarders here?

The_Raiders

I used to when I was like 13-15, but all I could do was ollie. That's still the only thing I can do now lol. I was just never good at it, and don't really have an interest in it anymore.

Stoo

I used to be a BMXer and a skater. My BMX years were 1982-84 while in high school and boarding in '86-'88 while in college. I even had a subscription to "Thrasher" magazine and used to paint designs on the bellies of people's boards. Never got very skilled on a board (at least I could ollie) but I was pretty danged good on a BMX. With the heavy winters where I grew up, those sports were always a summer thing since there were no indoor parks in my city at that time.

BMX is more rad than boarding!;)

Nurchachi, have you ever been snowboarding? I've been skiing since '82 and tried snowboarding in the mid-90s, thinking I'd be good at it because of skateboarding...but I sucked!:eek: Many of my friends have switched from skiing to snowboarding and they love it so much they will never go back.

P.S. River Phoenix's Young Indy has a skater haircut!

Stoo

WillKill4Food said:
Could be wrong, but I always thought of this as an anachronism. It's 1912 America, not 1912 Germany.
This is not really a bona-fide anachronism because it's an exaggerated version of an early 20th century teen haircut where the bangs are normally combed to the side of the head. In the action scenes of old movies from that period, you can often see bangs fall in front of the face (vaguely similar to a skater cut) but they are not usually as long as River's. His hair duplicates the old style but is longer...most likely to make his 'look' more appealing & familiar to a 1989 audience (when that skater cut was still quite popular).

For more on that topic, see this thread: River's hair

Now back to skateboards: WillKill, have you ever done any rail grinding? I've cracked my cojones on railings more times than I'd like to remember! Ouch!:eek:

Dr. Gonzo

I used to skate. Still do on occasion. Not like I used to though. I had a horrible accident involving both my ankles and a 13 stair. After that I mostly filmed. Back then the weapon of choice was the Sony VX-2000, I had a VX-1000. Now I have the Panasonic HVX200. Still film skateboarding occasionally too. I miss it sometimes.

Nurhachi1991

Stoo said:
I used to be a BMXer and a skater. My BMX years were 1982-84 while in high school and boarding in '86-'88 while in college. I even had a subscription to "Thrasher" magazine and used to paint designs on the bellies of people's boards. Never got very skilled on a board (at least I could ollie) but I was pretty danged good on a BMX. With the heavy winters where I grew up, those sports were always a summer thing since there were no indoor parks in my city at that time.

BMX is more rad than boarding!;)

Nurchachi, have you ever been snowboarding? I've been skiing since '82 and tried snowboarding in the mid-90s, thinking I'd be good at it because of skateboarding...but I sucked!:eek: Many of my friends have switched from skiing to snowboarding and they love it so much they will never go back.

P.S. River Phoenix's Young Indy has a skater haircut!

Lucky you got to skate in the glory age of boarding where Christian Hosoi was the man and Vision Gators were Radical! Skateboarders now are dumb most of them are just poser jerks that bag on everyone. I like the old Dogtown surfing style of skateboarding still trying to do a Bertslide right haha

and nah Ive never been snowboarding or skiing. I tried my hand at surfing when I was younger never got good at it but it was still a blast

The Drifter

I've tried skating before, but could never even stay on the board. We lived on bikes growing up. I doubt if I was as good as Stoo, but I got pretty decent on BMX also.
An old friend's dad made some dirt ramps for a friend with a dirt-bike, but us with the BMXs used them the most.

Indy's brother

The mid-80's through the mid 90's skating was a way of life for me. Didn't matter or change much once I got a car, other than it was faster to get around. mostly street skating, a pool or two, a smattering of mini ramps, no vert. I hounded city hall for years to fund a public skatepark since we would get chased out of everywhere, and the basketball courts in my town were overrun with drug dealers anyway, so why maintain that and not support us? Anyway, it finally happened, but now I'm to old to risk an injury. As a union ironworker, my physicality is kind of necessary at all times to maintain employment. I'd love to get back into it, age be damned. Kinda breaks my heart a little whenever I think about it, really.

Indy's brother

Nurhachi1991 said:
Dude you lived through the Bones Brigade era? Ohhhh man I'm jealous.

Right on man start shredding again! (y)

You bet I did, while Tony Hawk was arguably king even back then, Lance Mountain was more my guy. Not the best, but his attitude towards skating was relatable. ;) Which is sort of stretching the truth, I suppose. i Liked The Powell/Peralta thing, but really, it was the lifestyle and social aspect I was into. Kind of like a when you see guys riding their motorcycles together, we'd get a dozen guys together and destroy Aurora Illinois every chance we could, just this mob of guys carving it up. ;)

Which isn't to say that I never spent any time soul-skating. Totally. If I had nothing to do (which was a lot, if not most of the time) I did a lot of downhill by my lonesome, and skated a few local schools after hours as my usual haunts.

Indy's brother

I'm on the far left with the board on my head:

20851_1305663531081_4368791_n.jpg

With a couple of guys from my regular crowd back then. ;)

Nurhachi1991

Dude! That is the raddest picture ever! Man that looks straight outta "The Search for Animal Chin"

Boy if I could live in the 80s for only a day /:

IndyBuff

I used to back in high school. I wasn't that good at it but it was fun and I had a great time doing it with friends.

Nurhachi1991

I just got my 80s rector pads haha combined with my 70's hobie elbow pads, Rodney Mullen Bones Brigade replica shirt and my 73 re issue Santa Cruz

I'm ready to Bert Slide to the Extreme :hat: