General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

TheFedora

Indy Jones said:
It is odd that he's talking about Jones much as of late, though some of it is at the behast of reporters...
Indeed, sometimes I find that especially in movie blogs reporters will try to ask a question like that so they can write a clickbait headline. "Click here to see what Spielberg said about Indiana Jones 5!"

Major West

Dana Scully said:
I guess it all depends if they have a script in place. If they don't, well considering how many versions the KOTCS script went through it doesn't exactly bode well for Indy 5 being filmed before 2020 at least... :dead:

They won't have George Lucas to content with this time.

Randy_Flagg

Major West said:
They won't have George Lucas to content with this time.
So does that mean we can avoid something like this?

Lucas: "I told them, if it doesn't have robots, there's no point in doing it."

Spielberg: "I said, 'No George! No robots!'"

Ford: "It didn't interest me at all."

Lucas: "I said, 'Ok, they're not robots. They're cyborgs.'"

Spielberg: "So I said, 'Ok, fine, George, whatever.'"

Raiders90

Randy_Flagg said:

Lucas: "I said, 'Ok, they're not robots. They're cyborgs.'"

Spielberg: "So I said, 'Ok, fine, George, whatever.'"

Lucas: "I said, 'Ok, they're not robots. They're replicants.'"

Spielberg: "So I said, 'Ok, fine, George, whatever.'

FTFY ;)

DDW1

It seems that Frank Marshall is getting into the Indy 5 conversation. In a recent interview with the Spanish site efe.com, Frank Marshall states that Harrison Ford is "ready" to don the fedora once again.

"There is nothing official. We want to work together again in 'Indy,' but Harrison has Star Wars first and after that we'll worry about the character."

Here's the translated link:
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://m.eluniversal.com/arte-y-entretenimiento/151024/frank-marshall-harrison-ford-esta-listo-para-otro-indiana-jones&usg=ALkJrhiXay1rwFmXSTV_zUQiScJ06hWlNA

Randy_Flagg

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/indiana-jones-5/37494/indiana-jones-5-recasting-indy-ruled-out

If anyone knows what Disney is planning to do with the Indiana Jones rights gained by the Mouse House in the same deal that nabbed them Star Wars back in 2012, it?d be Frank Marshall. He?s worked as a producer or executive producer of every Indy movie to date, and is slated to return for the next one.

Looking for some clarity on rumours that have circulated for months, then, Total Film asked Marshall directly if Chris Pratt (who worked with Marshall on Jurassic World) could take up the mantle of Indiana Jones for the new film.

?There are a lot of rumours,? Marshall admitted. ?We haven?t even sat down to talk about Indy yet? at some point we?ll sit down. But there?s a bunch of people who could probably take the baton.?

That sounds like he?s open to recasting Indy doesn?t it? Well, think again. Marshall also mentioned that they?re ?not doing the Bond thing where we?re going to call somebody else Indiana Jones? we have to figure this out.?

Well, that?s a bit of a relief. So, Marshall is seemingly open to handing ?the baton? of the franchise to a younger actor but not willing to ?call somebody else Indiana Jones.?

This surely means that we?ll eventually see Harrison Ford?s Indy imparting his archaeological expertise to a young aspiring adventurer. More like the new Star Wars sequels than James Bond, then. To draw a parallel with the two JJ Abrams Star Trek films, perhaps Harrison Ford could play a similar role to Leonard Nimoy - sticking around to give advice, but leaving the running about and heavy lifting to the new generation.

At this stage, we can?t rule any actors out. Except maybe Shia LaBeouf. More news as we hear it.

Silvor

This is great news, I wouldn't have imagined Disney'd actually let Indiana Jones rest when Ford is done.
Continuing with a new character is the right way to do it if the series must continue.
Now just let Ford get at least one more movie to himself before the baton is passed.

IndyForever

Frank Marshall would know about 4th or 5th before anything happened. He is literally the last person to know his only involvement is likely to be 2nd unit action director like he was on the other 4 movies so he is just vague batting these questions away.

Harrison Ford is the only value Indiana Jones has as a franchise going forward. Spielberg would direct him again in another movie perhaps 2 back to back if they hurry up is the best possible scenario.

Disney will struggle to get anything else out of Indiana Jones without Ford attached as star not sidekick or co-star!

Randy_Flagg

They should pass the baton to Short Round.
The tagline could be:

"The boy in cap is back...
This time, he's touching everything"

Stoo

IndyForever said:
Frank Marshall would know about 4th or 5th before anything happened. He is literally the last person to know his only involvement is likely to be 2nd unit action director like he was on the other 4 movies so he is just vague batting these questions away.
Frank Marshall would be the "last person to know"?:confused: He was a PRODUCER on all 4 Indy films and his WIFE is now the head of Lucasfilm! What kind of stuff are you smoking?:p
IndyForever said:
Harrison Ford is the only value Indiana Jones has as a franchise going forward.
No, because the franchise of Indiana Jones is the LICENCED merchandise (novels, comics, toys, T-shirts, pyjamas & popsicles, etc.) so the only value Ford really has "as a franchise going forward" is a photograph of his face to stick on the packaging?which is secondary to the Indiana Jones logo.

Continuing the film series is a whole different ball game.;)

Stoo

TheFedora said:
Frank Marshall is denying because his job is literally to deny if he were actually planning anything.
Blog leeches, such as TheFedora, know the real truth.:rolleyes:

"Hello, my name is Frank Marshall and my job is, literally*, to deny any Lucasfilm plans."
*Do you even understand what that word means?
TheFedora said:
Indeed, sometimes I find that especially in movie blogs reporters will try to ask a question like that so they can write a clickbait headline. "Click here to see what Spielberg said about Indiana Jones 5!"
Sure, but don't complain when you keep taking the bait! :gun:

TheFedora

^I dont know how to take that post seriously if the first sentence starts out with a personal attack.

What I meant to say is Frank Marshall has denied things before, like Matt Damon being back for Bourne 5, that later turned out to be true.

IndyForever

Stoo said:
Frank Marshall would be the "last person to know"?:confused: He was a PRODUCER on all 4 Indy films and his WIFE is now the head of Lucasfilm! What kind of stuff are you smoking?:p
No, because the franchise of Indiana Jones is the LICENCED merchandise (novels, comics, toys, T-shirts, pyjamas & popsicles, etc.) so the only value Ford really has "as a franchise going forward" is a photograph of his face to stick on the packaging?which is secondary to the Indiana Jones logo.

Continuing the film series is a whole different ball game.;)
Iger/Horn, Ford, Spielberg, Lucas, Kennedy then Marshall so he is about 7th in the chain.

Ford is the franchise they need to make 2 movies back to back ending part1 with an incredible cliffhanger then resolve that in part2 & end on a very high note. That alone if handled well is over $1b per movie.

Disney even mentioned when they bought LFL it was for Star Wars IJ was just part of the package of rights they got with it but they still paid Paramount for IJ5 rights so they are planning at least 1 more with Harrison but hopefully the true fans of IJ will get 2 more movies.

Dr. Gonzo

IndyForever said:
Iger/Horn, Ford, Spielberg, Lucas, Kennedy then Marshall so he is about 7th in the chain.

Ford is the franchise they need to make 2 movies back to back ending part1 with an incredible cliffhanger then resolve that in part2 & end on a very high note. That alone if handled well is over $1b per movie.

You're way off the mark on this one.

First of all, that list of names...
is that the descending order of power you perceive of the people who would call the shots on MAKING/PRODUCING an "Indiana Jones" film?
Because in actuality the list would look more like this:

Bob Iger
Alan Horn/Kathleen Kennedy
Frank Marshall

Harrison Ford (only because he's the character in question)

Steven Spielberg (if he decided to produce)

You reading this, or me (you never know)

...then George Lucas *notice the spaces between the names getting farther apart towards the bottom of list

Some of you folks still aren't understanding the fact that George is no longer an element in producing these films. He sold Lucasfilm LTD. And doesn't own the rights to anything anymore.

People need to get the idea of the old "big 3" out of their heads (The Beards and Ford) because the new big 3 (or 4) are the people above in bold.
Those are the main players holding the cards. (and I hesitated to even bold Spielberg's name, cause if he didn't want to do it the company could still move on without him.)

IndyForever said:
Disney even mentioned when they bought LFL it was for Star Wars IJ was just part of the package of rights they got with it but they still paid Paramount for IJ5 rights...

They also got the rights to "Howard the Duck" "Willow" "Strange Magic" "American Graffiti" "Red Tails" and everything else that Lucasfilm has ever produced in that package deal... what's your point?
Are we gonna see "Even More American Graffiti"?
It was part of the deal, they must have plans for it!:rolleyes:

IndyForever said:
so they are planning at least 1 more with Harrison but hopefully the true fans of IJ will get 2 more movies.

What about the NOT TRUE FANS?

Stoo

IndyForever said:
Wow. That chain makes it clear how clueless you are on the subject.

Marshall is married to the PRESIDENT of Lucasfilm. The 2 of them are PRODUCERS and would be the first people to know if Disney decides to go ahead because they would be PRODUCING the movie. If you seriously think that they are so far down the line to know anything, then you're out of your mind. Frank's WIFE now wears George's pants. Does that not mean anything to you?:confused:

---
Frank: So how'd your day go, honey?
Kathleen: Oh, just more problems with the next Indy movie.
Frank: WHAT?!?! An Indy movie??? What the hell?
Kathleen: Didn't I tell you?
Frank: NO!
Kathleen: Yeah, Harry & Steve said we're making another one. I'm only the president so I'm always the last person to know.
Frank: No, I am!
Kathleen: Well, whatever. We're both way down the line. Could you pass me the salad, please?
IndyForever said:
Ford is the franchise
IndyForever is the wing-nut.

I also want Ford back for another film but…get a grip, mate.:rolleyes:
TheFedora said:
Frank Marshall is denying because his job is literally to deny if he were actually planning anything.
---
What I meant to say is Frank Marshall has denied things before,
Your 2 'tweets' insinuate that the man is lying and that Indy 5 is actually underway.

---
P.S. Just saw Gonzo's post. I was hoping he'd come to the rescue and he did! Hurrah!(y)

Last edited:

JasonMa

I'm a little confused by the whole "Ford is the franchise" stuff considering what, 5 different actors (at least!) have played Indy already, including 2 on the big screen.

I mean Carrier and Flanery have more screen time playing Indy than Ford does!