Spreaken sui deutsche?

Gilles V

Administrator Emeritus
Hohlbein's Indy novels were also released in Dutch. So you could learn that language if you don't like German... they may sound a bit alike from a distance, buth they are very different languages.

Urmel

Finn said:
Hmm. It took whole nine months to solve that question. Prominent.

I see no notions made on my German however. Am I to presume it was at least semi-correct?

After all, it is my weakest language, surpassed even by my Latin...

Better late than never ;)

Hmm, i think you mean this passage.
Finn said:
Oder dann ist man, gerecht mit Babelfish als das dennoch war auch nicht vollständig korrekt.
Sorry, but this sentence does not make sense for me. Perhaps you can tell me in english what you wanted to write.
But german is not that hard to learn. There are different other languages for example french which are more difficult in my opinion.
As Giles V mentioned you can also try to learn dutch but I think learning a language that you had in school is more easy to learn. A Dictionary i can recommend is "PONS". As well as a Learning Software which i called "Interaktive Sprachreise - Deutsch als Fremsprache"
http://www.digitalpublishing.de/sprachen/ISR/isr-set.htm
It is available in english, italian, spanish, french, turkish, russian and dutch menu navigation.

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Oh well, at least I have the pride of botching it all with my brain, not an online translator.

Urmel

That's right, your sentence was not that bad. I think i know what you wanted to say. I did not knew that they are teaching german in Finland. The Online Translators are really bad. Especially the translation vom english to german.

Sankara

The Hohlbein-Indy-Books are very-very LOUSY!

For example: Indy fights against an twin-brother of Belloq... *LOL*

Hohlbein describes Indy's Whip as a Hippo-Whip.... *LOL*....

Urmel

Sankara said:
The Hohlbein-Indy-Books are very-very LOUSY!

For example: Indy fights against an twin-brother of Belloq... *LOL*

Hohlbein describes Indy's Whip as a Hippo-Whip.... *LOL*....

You can't just say Hohlbeins Indy novels are lousy.
Which of his novels have you read?
I can't remember those passages.
Of course not all of his novels are good, but the most are quite interesting.

Viper

German is second only to Swiss-German IMO.

Too bad I can't have lessons until High School. :rolleyes: (n)

I've been meaning to get one of those CD sets to learn a language.

Urmel

Sankara said:
I red all of them...

Perhaps... you can't remember - but it's true...
the phrases you quote might fit on one novel but that doesn't dismiss the others to be good.

You are right when you say "Indiana Jones and the Secret of Easter Island" was not that good. I think it is the worst of his indy novels.
But especially "Indiana Jones and Genghis Khan's Sword" as well as "Indiana Jones and the Gold of El Dorado" are highly recommendable to read.
They have an interesting story and capture the reader with the atmosphere and suspense.

Perhaps you can tell me in which novel you read it.
I have all of it at home so i can search for it ;)
Do you think all of his Indiana Jones novels are bad?

By the way i see that you come from Germany. So why not write in german if it does not disturb anybody. But otherwise it is a good training when we write in english.

Viper said:
German is second only to Swiss-German IMO.

Too bad I can't have lessons until High School. :rolleyes: (n)

I've been meaning to get one of those CD sets to learn a language.
When you understand swiss-german it is not that hard to learn german.
To learn with CD sets is a good start. There is a software called "Interaktive Sprachreise" from "Digital Publishing". I do not know the german edition as it is my native language but the english version is very good.

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Urmel said:
By the way i see that you come from Germany. So why not write in german if it does not disturb anybody.

Not sure if it would disturb anybody, but English is the only language allowed on the Raven.

I do agree with you about the books, though. ( but I guess you already knew that :p )

Sankara

@Urmel
Ich wrote something about Holzleim... äh... Hohlbein in 1998. Here is the link:

http://www.indy-europe.de/novels/fanforum.htm

My Opinion: All Indy-Novels and all "Young Indy"-Episodes are very-very lousy. Only the three Indy-Movies give you the REAL Indy-Feeling. The other stuff is sooo lame... and emberassing...

Indy was married? *LOL*

Indy fights against Vampires? *LOL*

You can see a small part of my Indiana Jones-Collection (including all novels) on my Homepage:

http://www.dennisbruhn.de

ENJOY

Urmel

Ayrun said:
Not sure if it would disturb anybody, but English is the only language allowed on the Raven.

I do agree with you about the books, though. ( but I guess you already knew that :p )

I forgot about it. But anyway i prefer writing in english for practice.
Of course i knew ;)
Finally somebody who agrees with me :D

Sankara said:
@Urmel
Ich wrote something about Holzleim... äh... Hohlbein in 1998. Here is the link:

http://www.indy-europe.de/novels/fanforum.htm

My Opinion: All Indy-Novels and all "Young Indy"-Episodes are very-very lousy. Only the three Indy-Movies give you the REAL Indy-Feeling. The other stuff is sooo lame... and emberassing...

Indy was married? *LOL*

Indy fights against Vampires? *LOL*

You can see a small part of my Indiana Jones-Collection (including all novels) on my Homepage:

http://www.dennisbruhn.de

ENJOY

Thanks for the Links.
Now i understand your point of view on this topic.
You are a really big Indiana Jones Fan.
Btw. has George Lucas phoned you for the role of "Indiana Jones" in the fifth part. :whip: ;)

Of course the novels are in no way equal to the quality of the films. But for me they need not. They are good enough to feel the atmosphere of his adventures and make me hungry for more of this stuff.
Until now i haven't read all of Hohlbeins Novel about Indy. Just the three i mentioned and "The Labyrinth of Horus". So i can't write anything bad about it except the "Easter Island". It was truly unrealistic.
But i don't care about a correct chronology to the films as you mentioned about the "Ship of the Gods" with the zeppelin. I wouldn't go so much in detail if the context totally fits to the films. The adventure the suspense and the atmosphere are more important for me as well if it is realistic or just phantasy trash.

The phrase "Indy fights against Vampires? *LOL*" is of course crap.
Can you remember in which novel it was? So i needn't read it ;)

The novels also shorten the waiting time for the new Indiana Jones Film. I hope it will be a good sequel to the films.

Sankara

Yes, Spielberg and Lucas asked me if I would like to play Indy in "INDY 5" - but I said "No." :)

Indy fights against Vampires in one of the "Young Indy"-Episodes - not in the novels.

Another problem in the Hohlbein-Novels: A lot of names are wrong. Jock is named Paul and his petsnake is named Nancy.

Urmel

Sankara said:
Yes, Spielberg and Lucas asked me if I would like to play Indy in "INDY 5" - but I said "No." :)

Indy fights against Vampires in one of the "Young Indy"-Episodes - not in the novels.

Another problem in the Hohlbein-Novels: A lot of names are wrong. Jock is named Paul and his petsnake is named Nancy.

Good decision ;)
More than four Indy Films is too much. There has to be an end, because it is to difficult to produce another film as interesting as the others. It has to end at the top. What do you think about Indiana Jones 4? Has your mind changed about it? By the way do you know the name for 4 films in a row? Is it Tetralogy?

So it is not the author's style you criticise, but the false facts and logical errors he writes.
At this point i can agree with you. When i read it i didn't concern about things like false names and such things. Maybe because i couldn't remember such trivia. I am not sure why Hohlbein named some things different. But i think he had reasons for it.
Maybe you would like his novels, too, when you don't read it so determined or stubborn on his changes.
In my opinion Hohlbeins Indiana Jones novels are from the way of writing better than the other author's novels.