What's your favourite Bond Movie?

A

Aussie Jones

I like From Russia with Love the best. The opening pre-credit sequence must have been a forerunner for Raiders.

I don't have an overall favorite, but....

Sean Connery - From Russia With Love
George Lazenby - On Her Majesty's Secret Service (tough choice)
Roger Moore - For Your Eyes Only
Timothy Dalton - Licence To Kill
Pierce Brosnan - GoldenEye

Katarn07

In order:

Goldeneye
The World is Not Enough
Dr. No
Tomorrow Never Dies
Goldfinger

I hate the Moore ones. For Your Eyes Only was his best and actually wasn't all that bad of a movie. He should have quit then and left on a high note.

Brosnan is surprisingly not my favorite actor to potray Bond (despite what it may look like from my list). I think he's truly a great guy to play the part, but he's second to Connery. I haven't seen enough Bond films to judge more. I gave License to Kill a chance and thought Dalton was pretty good, but the movie overall was nothing special. And I have yet to see OHMSS. I hear it's one of the best. Too bad Connery turned down the role. Is Lazenby really any good?

Lazenby does alright for not being an actor.... There are times in the movie where he rather struggles with the part, but his acting at the end of the picture makes up for his mistakes earlier on. I used to despise this movie until I bought the DVD back in 99 and actually sat through it uninterrupted.

I

Indy_Jones88

Yes Lazenby was great. OHMSS was a great movie. Here is my top 5 list

GoldenEye
Die Another Day
Dr. No
The Spy Who Loved Me
OHMSS

Kate

I saw my first 007 movies about a month ago....i've only seen "Dr. No" and "From Russia With Love." Terrible, I know.... here I am surrounded by 007 fans and I have spent my life until now unknowing of the wonders of Bond, James Bond. I liked the two I saw, and I do mean to watch the whole series, don't worry!

Katarn07

Indy_Jones88 said:
Yes Lazenby was great. OHMSS was a great movie. Here is my top 5 list

GoldenEye
Die Another Day
Dr. No
The Spy Who Loved Me
OHMSS

No wonder you don't like Dalton. You liked that movie :p Your top choice is good though. I love that movie but feel the game is overrated. Everything or Nothing is much better and would have made a better movie than Die Another Day.

maquino

"The Formula"

As I look at the Bond films (as distinct from the novels), Dr. No was just another adventure movie, From Russia, With Love introduced the idea of gadgets (the attaché case), and Goldfinger capitalized perfectly on a mixture of adventure & gadgets (the Aston DB5). All of the Bond movies after that became increasingly gadget-overwhelmed to the point first of complete loss of real-world credibility and later of sheer fantasy/self-lampoon.

Persons who like the second film tend to do so because it is the most real-world credible, and indeed Ian Fleming spent more time working on the authentic tie-ins of From Russia, With Love than he did with his other stories.

So I would say that Goldfinger (the movie) got the Bond-film "formula" just about perfectly balanced. It was sad that Fleming died shortly before its completion and was unable to see it.

In addition to sliding increasingly into gadgetdom, the later films also departed more and more from the novels of the same name. Some of that was the result of the social standards and audience expectations of the 1960s+, as IF's novels were clearly in 1950s' idiom and quite "politically incorrect" as a result. Sometimes because the original villains, like SMERSH and Al Capone-mold American gangsters, were obsolete.

Michael Aquino