New LA outdoor sets photos

littledavid2

Well I have to admit it:My jaw dropped the moment I saw the pictures from the LA sets, they're simply stunning and so realistic...but after a few seconds
I found myself quite disappointed at the idea that the rest of the film is going to be shot in LA and not on location.I know I may sound quite naive but I would have preferred the film to be shot, as they said, on several location around the world. I'm afraid that the moment I'll be watching the movie (let's cross our fingers, we all know it's a long way to Dehli:)) and I see that pyramid I'll hear a little voice inside saying:" there are buildings behind those trees and not far from there Paris hilton doing her b****y stuff!
Well that was a joke, But seriously I hope I'll be so iptnotized by the story and spielberg's talent and tricks not to mind this sort of things...
Anyway I somehow regret seeing those pix, maybe I should start stop reading the news and spoiler....BUT HOW CAN I DO!!!!!!
Please indianajones.com gives us a damn good video !!

Professor Jones

littledavid2 said:
I know I may sound quite naive but I would have preferred the film to be shot, as they said, on several location around the world. I'm afraid that the moment I'll be watching the movie (let's cross our fingers, we all know it's a long way to Dehli:)) and I see that pyramid I'll hear a little voice inside saying:" there are buildings behind those trees and not far from there Paris hilton doing her b****y stuff!

I agree, with you. Actually it is normal for such a movie to be shot in studios for a great part (as I've already stated in other posts), but I think we can make a distinguishing.

One thing is using a real location instead of another (Kairouan for Cairo; english docks instead of Venice port; Hawaian jungle instead of South American forest and so on), another thing is building fake sets. That risks to give a movie the feeling of "artificiality" and cheapness. It risks (but not necessarily) to make the movie appear like a Disneyland attraction.

Actually I cannot understand why they needed to rebuilt a Mexican village. It seemed so fake to me... just like a theme park. Besides, there are a lot of wonderful villages in Mexico (and most of them aren't crowded at all!!!) in which they could shoot all the scenes they need... What's the sense of a fake-village???

Kingsley

With todays technology they can film almost 'everything' in a studio. So its logical that they use less locations this time. Lower budget is a reason too.

Sure, the "romantic" side of foreign filming went lost by this... Spielberg knows it too. He looked for other places before accepting Hawaii as the best option in production terms.

By the way, you cant film a movie in mexican pyramids for instance, they are archaeological tresures, protected by laws... villages? thats not so tough, but Lucas is the producer, he's too comfortable nowadays, he would film everything in his dinning room if he could.

Last edited:

chapter11

Professor Jones said:
Actually I cannot understand why they needed to rebuilt a Mexican village. It seemed so fake to me... just like a theme park. Besides, there are a lot of wonderful villages in Mexico (and most of them aren't crowded at all!!!) in which they could shoot all the scenes they need... What's the sense of a fake-village???

I don't think it's very practical to drag an entire production team to some random small village in Mexico for a few days' worth of filming. Much more cost effective and convenient to build a set. Current production values will make it virtually indistinguishable from the real thing on the screen. You don't think they used a real underground temple and lava pit in Temple of Doom, do you? ;)

littledavid2

I've just read the making of Last Crusade: They started shooting in Spain and after 3 weeks moved to Uk studios for 10 weeks then started going around Europe to shoot on location again. Maybe they'll move later on the production with Indy 4...I also went back to that old news about Vera-cruz:
"Spanish news agency Terra.es has reported that they may also be filming for the fourth Indy film in the Mexican port of Veracruz in October[/I]."(http://www.theraider.net/news/fullstory_indy4.php?id=204),
maybe whe just shouldn't worry... after all we know so little about the whole project!..I still have the feeling that there'll be a lot of surprises waiting for us!:D

Last edited:

Zorg

It doesn't really matter where the film is shot. And as far as authencity goes.. well, modern technology goes a long way and I'm not a bit concerned about the production values on this film. Pretty incredible sights can be accomplished in the studio... ;)

The most important thing is that they've already done a lot of location shooting. What does it matter if it's all in the US? What I care about is what the finished product looks and feels like.

Professor Jones

Zorg said:
The most important thing is that they've already done a lot of location shooting. What does it matter if it's all in the US? What I care about is what the finished product looks and feels like.

I've just saw another time the backstage of Temple of Doom... actually, regarding villages, that reminded me that Indian village when Indy stops and is encharged of the quest for Sankara stones is just built up for the movie... Zorg is right on this: the important is the finished product.

Regarding the practiceness of shooting in a small mexican village, I think that could have not been a real problem indeed... But maybe travelling with the whole troupe cast and crew there would have costed more than a fake-village.

commontone

As far as studio-manufactured sights go...They've made a pledge not to use much CGI, if at all. They want to maintain the B-movie approach they used in the last three films. Still, in the last three films they used blue screens, matte paintings, etc., and even that non-CGI stuff has advanced quite a bit in the last 20 years. I think they'll be using computers to some extent, but only to simplify certain things that would cost more traditionally and not look any different (like inserting a static matte background). Probably no CGI monkeys, or cars or boats.

As far as location visuals, check out "Zodiac." There's a fairly long scene where a cab driver is murdered at night and cops are called to the scene, an urban residential area. San Francisco wouldn't let David Fincher film at the real location (it's based on fact), so they simply made a small section of street and a few houses on a soundstage, and used a blue screen for the backgrounds. It's nothing fancy--a mostly static matte background of a street stretching off into a neighborhood, with maybe a car driving by now and then--but I was *stunned* to learn that wasn't a real-life location in SF. It looks that perfect. That's how good things are getting now...and I don't think it would really be "cheating" on their pledge if Indy 4 did something similar.

Kingsley

I think what we will miss most is the backstage footage in foreign locations. The "making off" was an adventure too, but now they decided a more conservative shooting.

The final result would not be seriously be affected by that.

Last edited:
I've thought about the efforts the makers have gone to to prevent "spoilers" and have come to the conclusion that, for me at least, they are focussing on suppressing the wrong info.

Obviously, knowing detailed plot twists and turns beforehand would alter the experience of watching the film, but I don't believe many of us are after such spoilers. What I'm REALLY interested in knowing is the title, the MacGuffin and a VERY brief synopsis. Yet it is these details that they are focussing so hard on suppressing.

I honestly think that knowing the filiming locations threatens the enjoyment of the movie more, and they have been open about these. I know hiding them is nigh on impossible, but openly giving interviews and talking about the choices could have been avoided just as easily as they've refused to give a bit of story outline info, surely?

If I know Indy is searching for 13 crystal skulls, racing against both Russian and US armed forces in cahoots with his newly found son and Marion, then that simply whets my appetite and spoils the film not one iota. Knowing that they've filmed the uni sets in New Haven, some US Base shots - possibly Morocco - in New Mexico, a pile of jungle shots in Hawaii and Temple/Village shots in some hangar in LA really DOES threaten the suspension of belief so necessary to enjoy the final film.

They should have fed some basic story info and refused carte blanche to discuss reasoning behind choosing certain locations. At least as far as I'm concerned.

Kingsley

Almost 9 months left till films release. They hide what they could hide, and they gave us some info they knew they couldn't hide (photos and video of harrison in costume, Marions return) in an elegant way.

Title and McGuffin are things we will learn to know in the next months, when the teaser premieres those things will naturally make his way to the public. And I hope in an elegant way too.

Professor Jones

StwongBwidge said:
Obviously, knowing detailed plot twists and turns beforehand would alter the experience of watching the film, but I don't believe many of us are after such spoilers.
(..)

I honestly think that knowing the filiming locations threatens the enjoyment of the movie more, and they have been open about these.

If I know Indy is searching for 13 crystal skulls, racing against both Russian and US armed forces in cahoots with his newly found son and Marion, then that simply whets my appetite and spoils the film not one iota. Knowing that they've filmed the uni sets in New Haven, some US Base shots - possibly Morocco - in New Mexico, a pile of jungle shots in Hawaii and Temple/Village shots in some hangar in LA really DOES threaten the suspension of belief so necessary to enjoy the final film.

Believe me... I'm pretty sure that the production of the movie is not hiding us details and elements of the plot just to prevent us to loose the suspence-effect and the surprises watching the movie, or at least that's not the primary reason of that "secrecy"!!

They're sure hiding that, as they do for almost every other blockbuster-to-be, because of commercial reasons... Not only if you know the plot you could be tempted not to go to see the movie (I'm speaking about the common man and not the fan as we are, that probably would never renounce to see the movie!) or not to go to see it to the cinema and wait it in dvd. But especially in that way they avoid that someone steals the ideas of the movie and uses them for other movie or operas (comics, books and so on) to put on the market before the INDY 4th installment (or even in order to claim that Indy 4 stole their ideas!).

I've read that often happens in the cinema industry that crappy directors put on some crappy movie during the production of announced blockbuster in order to make their imitation come on the screen before the real thing, to try to steal some audience or at least to gain that few audience they would never get if their imitation-movie would not exit under the shadow of the main event.

Dr.Sartorius

Someone at the HFW forums named thebacklot has posted a whole slew of possible Indy 4 set photos:

The Genre Project aka Indiana Jones 4 aka Indiana Jones and the City of the Gods is, as you already know, currently back in Los Angeles filming the remaining portions of the film. The production is sprawling, landing at most all of the studios in and around Los Angeles. Downey Studios, Sony Studios, Universal Studios, and Warner Brothers Studios.

I bring to you folks today some of what I could gather. First, Universal Studios. Yes, the South American temple is definitively for Indy/Genre. They were shooting exterior day scenes with a large blue screen this past Wednesday.

1290857872_2406cbb2eb_b.jpg

1290892468_42c258b648_b.jpg

1290868680_3c3cad08a0_b.jpg

1290895902_a1f9a3694d_b.jpg

1290040065_5be971b746_b.jpg

1290865204_f8ce77f803_b.jpg

1290016835_0523a2d173_b.jpg

1290020077_45ee4e28a7_b.jpg

1290013877_b09a5c4160_b.jpg

1290861596_68e1a8b2a8_b.jpg

1290885608_12d23cd79e_b.jpg

These were supposedly taken at the property dept. at WB Studios: