What hat should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

damonbus

I'm new to Indy gear collecting so please forgive me for my questions. I researched all the recommended vendors and am more confused now.

My budget is no more then $400.

- I want something that can be worn on a regular basis especially when I go hiking and camping.

- Screen accurate especially the color from any of the 4 films.

Please give me your recommendations. Thanks.

ThrowMeTheWhip

Steele & Jones for sure. Affordable, bespoke, screen accurate, and Roberto and Diego are both really stellar guys. Strongly recommended!

micsteam

Penman Hats, John's factory Everyman is excellent at $275.00 ( Get you in the door) or one of his bespoke rabbit fedoras for around $400. Good luck !! :hat:

Drones33

damonbus said:
Thanks for the help!!!

Wow those hats look awesome, now I need to make a decision. lol

Someone recommended the following hat, what do you think about this one?

https://www.replix.de/en/harrison-f...ii-20-beaver-and-80-rabbit-fur-felt-20x?c=234

This gets my vote too. Peter Osygus at Advintage does very impressive work and offers quite a variety of options, from the factory made Harrison fedora in Rabbit, Beaver or 20%/80% blend of both, to the handmade bespoke collection.

damonbus

I think I?m going to order the Everyman Indy. The website doesn?t really say sizes available or how long they take to ship. Has anyone ordered these hats? His custom hats could take up to 8 months.

AttyOzzy

Advintage All the Way

I have an SOC, and Clipper from Advintage. Both bespoke and beaver. I am so pleased with these hats that I ordered a standard Raiders with "idol grab" bash.

The hats can be as stiff or floppy as you request. Love Advintage. And I have hats ranging from Akubra all the way to Herbert Johnson.

Hope this helps. Just be sure to size your head properly and realize that all sweatbands shrink a little - then hat becomes unbearable. I don't care what anyone says, leave some room and get a cork strip or something to size it down. You will thank me.

damonbus

AttyOzzy said:
I have an SOC, and Clipper from Advintage. Both bespoke and beaver. I am so pleased with these hats that I ordered a standard Raiders with "idol grab" bash.

The hats can be as stiff or floppy as you request. Love Advintage. And I have hats ranging from Akubra all the way to Herbert Johnson.

Hope this helps. Just be sure to size your head properly and realize that all sweatbands shrink a little - then hat becomes unbearable. I don't care what anyone says, leave some room and get a cork strip or something to size it down. You will thank me.

Thanks for the tip, what Herbert Johnson do you own? Aren?t those the best ones you can buy?

ThrowMeTheWhip

damonbus said:
Thanks for the tip, what Herbert Johnson do you own? Aren’t those the best ones you can buy?

“Best” is subjective. They’re the original hats, but they’ve undergone management changes and the blocks have changed over the years.... They did relaunch the other year with what they claimed were the original blocks, though I heard some speculation that the individual who supplied said blocks has left and taken them... In any event it’s a damn fine hat, but you’re paying for the name.

All this aside, I own one myself from long before the relaunch, from a time when they were held in somewhat less esteem. I can’t put an exact year on it since I got it secondhand, but here’s what I can say: to the best of my knowledge this particular Herbert Johnson was reblocked by Todd Coyle at some point, and it is magnificent.

See here:

https://instagram.com/p/BK33PzsBDnt/

My suggestion is, as before, Steele & Jones. An incredibly well made hat at a very fair price.

Major West

With Herbert Johnson you're really just paying to have the name on the Hat. As mentioned they've changed hands several times over the years. In my personal opinion I would go to another vendor. Penman, Steel & Jones, Advintage, are hat makers who are also Indy fans and know how to make and bash a hat screen accurately.

eazybox

If memory serves, some of the dealers mentioned use original Herbert Johnson materials, including vintage liners, anyway-- unless, since becoming a high quality bespoke hat maker, HJ has now disallowed this practice (inquire before you buy).

I do have experience with Jack, HJ's previous manager who claims to have re-discovered the original block, and he made me an incredible hat that in every way met my expectations. Unfortunately, after leaving HJ to start his own business, Jack is battling advanced cancer and unable to make hats at present. So the question of who has the original block is now, once again, very much up in the air. But the hats made by HJ's current management do look very good to me.

"Best" is a state of mind; what's best to one customer may not mean much to another. When there are so many fine choices available, your priorities and your budget are the important considerations. :)

Last edited:

DeclaringTiger

If it's okay with y'all I'd also like to jump in and ask for help looking for an Indy hat. As a would be first time fedora owner, I would like for my budget to not exceed $200. With this in mind, I believe I've narrowed it down to the adVintage "Harrison Fedora No. 1" and the Akubra "Fed IV." I'm looking for a solid screen accurate hat as well as something that I could wear while camping, on roadtrips, etc, without worrying about it falling apart or getting ruined by moderate rain/weather.

Any thoughts? Other brands I should consider? I would greatly appreciate any feedback:p

eazybox

DeclaringTiger said:
If it's okay with y'all I'd also like to jump in and ask for help looking for an Indy hat. As a would be first time fedora owner, I would like for my budget to not exceed $200. With this in mind, I believe I've narrowed it down to the adVintage "Harrison Fedora No. 1" and the Akubra "Fed IV." I'm looking for a solid screen accurate hat as well as something that I could wear while camping, on roadtrips, etc, without worrying about it falling apart or getting ruined by moderate rain/weather.

Any thoughts? Other brands I should consider? I would greatly appreciate any feedback:p
Based on the requirements you listed, I would recommend Akubra. Although I've never owned one, they have a solid reputation for being extremely tough, durable and able to endure all kinds of harsh treatment and weather. They come open crown, so you would need to do your own styling.They are based on the Crystal Skull hat but I've seen some impressive Raiders bashes on them.

DeclaringTiger

eazybox said:
Based on the requirements you listed, I would recommend Akubra. Although I've never owned one, they have a solid reputation for being extremely tough, durable and able to endure all kinds of harsh treatment and weather. They come open crown, so you would need to do your own styling.They are based on the Crystal Skull hat but I've seen some impressive Raiders bashes on them.

Thank you for the quick reply! I have heard akubra hats are very tough with weather and all sorts of abuse, which is a good thing considering the climate over here in the PNW! My two main concerns are that I've never shaped a fedora before, and that the felt seems to change colors depending on the lighting.

eazybox

DeclaringTiger said:
Thank you for the quick reply! I have heard akubra hats are very tough with weather and all sorts of abuse, which is a good thing considering the climate over here in the PNW! My two main concerns are that I've never shaped a fedora before, and that the felt seems to change colors depending on the lighting.
Shaping isn't that difficult; it takes a little practice, but the hat can take it. I believe there are video tutorials on Penman's website to help people who want to shape their own hats. The TEMPLE style would be easiest for a beginner, in my opinion. Just gently "karate chop the top, front to back, and make a shallow pinch in front, going back to about where the ribbon's bow begins. Hope this helps!

DeclaringTiger

eazybox said:
Shaping isn't that difficult; it takes a little practice, but the hat can take it. I believe there are video tutorials on Penman's website to help people who want to shape their own hats. The TEMPLE style would be easiest for a beginner, in my opinion. Just gently "karate chop the top, front to back, and make a shallow pinch in front, going back to about where the ribbon's bow begins. Hope this helps!

Thank you(y) I'll definitely keep these things in mind when I eventually buy an Indy hat. Anything to say about the Harrison? I can be pretty indecisive even if the answer is right in front of me haha

Status
Not open for further replies.