Yikes, guys, this world is nuts.

KDuncan

My parents left the house..To check the mail and get groceries and stuff. We are the only house on this street to never be robbed? Someone pulled in. He (it was a man, along with another man) banged on the glass door..Twenty five minutes later, another car pulled up. A different one. With a man and woman. They cut the wires to the "fake" alarm siren; we put it up as a booby trap. But I didn't know that. All I heard was a crash at the wall that they did it. Then.. I called 911, with my .22 rifle in my hand. Then... they banged the door down...They kicked it in.. the deadbolt gave way...I have the pieces from it in my room now, wrapped in a Kleenex as a reminder. I cocked my rifle and took off the safety. And, talking to the person on the phone at 911, I told her what was happening... they had sent out a car, but it hadn't come yet. It takes them about 15 minutes. But, for whatever reason, after they kicked the door in... they left. I have no idea why. I presume they were working in shifts and would come back. Then, the cops came. One of our tarps was blocking the car so I hadn't seen them, just heard the people talking. My parents came in at almost the same time. Hopefully they will be caught. All I know is, I succesfully defended the house.

More details available upon request. I'm kind of rattled over it.

etobicoke indy

Holy Crap!!! That's pretty scary....i too would be kinda freaked....so they entered ur house,or no??? this in the day or night??deeeeeetails!!!!:whip:

IndyBuff

Well done KDuncan! I'm glad no one was hurt and you did the right thing. That kind of stuff is terrible but unfortunately it happens sometimes.

I'm glad to see you're okay and I'm sure they'll catch the people who did it eventually.:)

San Holo

I'm so sorry to hear about your day, but you handled the situation very,very well. Sounds like it's time to buy a couple of pit bulls and a sawed off shotgun;)

KDuncan

Etobicoke: This was in the daytime, around three o'clock. They may have come in, but I'm more inclined to think they left, because I would have heard the footsteps, most likely. Maybe they saw that the security system was on "Ready" instead of having the red entry light on and realized there was a person in the house. Maybe they heard me talking to the 911 lady. I don't know.

Thanks, IndyBuff, these people weren't that smart (they didn't cut the phone line, which would have rendered my attempts to call 911 or the alarm from going off useless - we don't pay any more, so even though the system still calls, they disregard it. They only thing it does for us is turn the siren on) and they will probably be apprehended at some point. What worries me is that it's a ring, not just two boys in a pickup truck. It was obviously premeditated, so even if it's two years from now, the ones that haven't been caught may come back. And by then we'll have our guard down again.

Thank you, San, I'm glad I was able to defend the place alright. I wish I had been able to see them, or their cars, but I just couldn't do both at once. The moment the door came down, I thought for sure they would be invading, or else I would have been watching for them to leave. I agree with your comments; I've wanted a German Shepherd for a long time now, and while I doubt I could persuade my dad without having him sell my cat first, it would be fun if they considered it for once. (I've actually got a name picked out, for all these years.. it's kind of sad :p)

Nathaniel, do you mean you've wanted to be able to defend the homefront also, and be the family hero, or what?

roundshort

Scary stuff KDunc, good for you and I am glad you are safe, but remember, DONT TAKE RISKS, if that happens again, run out the door. Most people who are hurt in a robbery attempt are because they scare or surprise the intruders. With that piece of fatherly advice, if they do come in your house it is legal to shot, a 22 is an awesome weapon, shot for the head, it will enter, but not leave rattle around and turn brain matter into applesauce.

Really, calling 911 was good, call, say you have an intruder and run to a neighbor's house.

Glad you are ok. All "stuff" can be replaced, humans can't.

KDuncan

Shorty, thanks for the fathery advice ;), but we only have two doors and one of them is at the front and the stairs fell off so it's rather dangerous. Secondly, we live in the country and I don't know the neighbors except for one and he's at work all day. So, that wouldn't have worked. Self-defense is legal here as long as the person was inside the house. Thanks, Shorty, I'm glad that everything's okay. :)

Clinton, there was only one way over to my gun and that was through me. While a weaker sort may have succumbed, there was only one entrance to where I was. You would have to know the layout of the house, and the moment the man had walked through that way, I would have shot him. My only concern was that the gun would jam, really, since it hasn't been cleaned in awhile, and though I've shot it recently, it still jams occasionally. However, I also had access to a shotgun and handgun if I needed any. But thank you for the statistic count anyhow.

KDuncan

Thanks, ToJ. I agree with you, but I don't want to blow my eardrums out either. I don't keep ear protection in my room, and I didn't have time to run across the house to fetch the handgun (which I have never shot, by the way, so I wasn't sure about the handling) and I know for sure the shotgun would have deafened me. But you're right, maybe I'll tell my dad to finally give me something better than a .22. I've also shot a .22 Browning, but it's such a small caliber, it can't do much damage.

If the robbers weren't carrying though, it may have scared them off just by seeing it. These guys weren't the smartest. I'm just glad no one got hurt, nor did we lose anything.

"the moment the man had walked through that way, I would have shot him"
Hopefully before he possibly shot you, or for your sake, killing him dead in an instant instead of just winging him and really getting his dander up....

"I'm just glad no one got hurt, nor did we lose anything."
Hear hear!

Nathaniel

KDuncan said:
Nathaniel, do you mean you've wanted to be able to defend the homefront also, and be the family hero, or what?
I was just remembering the times I've daydreamed about what I would do if something like that happened. After hearing your story, I'm not quite as ready to wish the experience on myself, but I have thought the idea exciting.

Anyway, good job, it sounds like you knew just what to do.

qwerty

Usualy when someone is trying to robb you the best advice is to leave them and call the cops.
If I was in the situation you were in I do not know what would I do. But taking things into my own hands by taking a gun wouldn't be. Avoid weapons. What would happen if you scared them and they shot first. Is it worth it? I do not think so.
"Take whatever you want, just know that cops are coming" - would be mine line if anything.

San Holo

ClintonHammond said:
Hopefully before he possibly shot you, or for your sake, killing him dead in an instant instead of just winging him and really getting his dander up....
Do you ever have anything to say that benifits anyone?

From the General Forum Rules

Trolling/Flaming/Bashing/Baiting:
We respect the right of everyone to express their opinions without fear of being attacked or personally insulted. Feel free to debate strongly and offer firm opinions. However, if you feel the need to indulge in mean-spirited and personally directed insults, attacks, and quarrels, do so off the forum. Baiting or inflammatory posts designed to attract or elicit predicable responses are not appropriate and persistence in this activity can result in suspension or banning.

00Kevin

Indyfan
KDuncan said:
My parents left the house..To check the mail and get groceries and stuff. We are the only house on this street to never be robbed? Someone pulled in. He (it was a man, along with another man) banged on the glass door..Twenty five minutes later, another car pulled up. A different one. With a man and woman. They cut the wires to the "fake" alarm siren; we put it up as a booby trap. But I didn't know that. All I heard was a crash at the wall that they did it. Then.. I called 911, with my .22 rifle in my hand. Then... they banged the door down...They kicked it in.. the deadbolt gave way...I have the pieces from it in my room now, wrapped in a Kleenex as a reminder. I cocked my rifle and took off the safety. And, talking to the person on the phone at 911, I told her what was happening... they had sent out a car, but it hadn't come yet. It takes them about 15 minutes. But, for whatever reason, after they kicked the door in... they left. I have no idea why. I presume they were working in shifts and would come back. Then, the cops came. One of our tarps was blocking the car so I hadn't seen them, just heard the people talking. My parents came in at almost the same time. Hopefully they will be caught. All I know is, I succesfully defended the house.

More details available upon request. I'm kind of rattled over it.

wowza, I hope everything turns out right

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The best gun for home defense is a sawed off shotgun, for a nice spread of pellets. Good marksmanship is not necessary, and a bullet won't go through your house into another. Even ammo is not necessary: just the sound of cocking it from another room will make intruders jump out a window.

I don't own a gun, but my farmer neighbors probably do. I'm grateful for being stereotyped as a hick. The best answer to whether or not you own a gun is... "maybe." Well done, KDuncan.

KDuncan

I know what you mean, Qwerty, but there was no escape route whatsoever, and I've always been in favor of standing my ground (unless I know for sure if I do I'm as good as dead). It was a difficult situation. Where would I have gone had I gone outside? We're in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks, Kevin, we're all okay right here. We fixed the door.

Thank you, Canyon, so am I. :) It's certainly nothing anyone wants to go through.

Moedred, I tend to agree with you, but I'm not sure if my dad has one of those. He said that anything like a .38 special or 9mm would either give me much less accuracy or limit my shots to about six (with the rifle I have 12 shots).

KDuncan

UPDATE: We found blood evidence! Aparently, the fellow who broke in the door cut his hand while doing so and flung some blood on the while. We missed it earlier, but we found it now (it hasn't rained, and no one else could have bled on the wall). Hopefully, with the DNA, we can find this guy - he may have gone to the hospital for stitches. (There's a lot of blood).