TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #51
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan
 
Dr.Sartorius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,991
At this rate Indy 5 will begin production in 2017.
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #52
TheMutt92
IndyFan
 
TheMutt92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,440
David Strathairn in...

http://www.slashfilm.com/david-strat...bergs-lincoln/

Quote:
Emmy-winning, Oscar-nominated actor David Strathairn has just been cast as Secretary of State, William Seward in Steven Spielberg‘s Lincoln, which will star Daniel Day-Lewis at the legendary 16th President of the United States. The film is aimed at a late 2012 release.
TheMutt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #53
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan
 
Dr. Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMutt92
That's a good choice. Looks like there are some high caliber actors lined up. Really looking forward to this. I want to see how Steve will deal with the assassination.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #54
Moedred
Administrator
 
Moedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Posts: 4,875
Empire interviews Spielberg...
Quote:
"We start shooting in October. Doris Kearns Goodwin's book Team Of Rivals is much too big a book to be a movie, so the Lincoln story only takes place in the last few months of his Presidency and life. I was interested in how he ended the war through all the efforts of his generals...but more importantly how he passed the 13th Amendment into constitutional law. The Emancipation Proclamation was a war powers act and could have been struck down by any court after the war ended...But what permanently ended slavery was the very close vote in the House of Representatives over the 13th Amendment - that story I'm excited to tell. Amistad is much more visual than Lincoln is going to be. It feels very much like a procedural. It shows Lincoln at work, not just Lincoln standing around posing for the history books...arguably the greatest working President in American history doing some of the greatest work for the world."
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #55
Joe Brody
IndyFan
 
Joe Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sweetest Place on Earth
Posts: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred

That really nails it. A lot of historians get hung up comparing Jefferson's and Lincoln's intellect -- and many give Jefferson the edge because his big old brain covered so much ground in so many areas. But for me, Lincoln gets the edge. His intellectual output day-in, day-out was staggering and he made massive bang-bang decisions under huge, unrelenting pressures that Jefferson never had to contend with. Everyone cracks under stress, and I'd argue that the ability to make good decisions over a prolong period of constant stress is a rarer gift than Jefferson's inventive mind. Oh, and he was one Hell of a vampire slayer too.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #56
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,341
Stevie bags his Ulysses...

Quote:
...Jared Harris has been cast as Ulysses S. Grant.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #57
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R. Zay
and you are... mr. buzzhumor.com? mr moviegossip.com? i'd like to mention that unless anybody invited a bot to keep us up-to-date about the latest contributions to mr. buzzhumor.com, [anything NOT Indiana Jones], you might consider locking this account before it gets [any more] annoying.
Really man...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #58
WillKill4Food
IndyFan
 
WillKill4Food's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York City, the Big Apple
Posts: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Really man...
In his defense, this film has more relevancy to Indiana Jones than a lot of others discussed on here, seeing as Spielberg is behind it.

At any rate, with Day-Lewis in the lead role, I do have higher hopes for the film now. Somewhere there's a man walking down the street, thinking that he is Abraham Lincoln. I wonder what kind of accent he'll do for Lincoln, who had a squeaky voice, from what I hear.
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:13 AM   #59
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
At any rate, with Day-Lewis in the lead role, I do have higher hopes for the film now. Somewhere there's a man walking down the street, thinking that he is Abraham Lincoln.

As long as he doesn't have himself assassinated in preparation...
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #60
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
In his defense, this film has more relevancy to Indiana Jones than a lot of others discussed on here, seeing as Spielberg is behind it.
Yeah, you're right. More significant AND demonstrable than Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Nightmare on Elm Street 2010.

Come to think of it Prometheus has relevancy to Indiana Jones seeing as Ridley Scott directed it, he directed Harrison Ford in Blade Runner and you can make the final relevant link, right?

Bet I could do that with Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Invention Of Hugo Cabret and Batman!

Nice one Nurse!
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #61
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Yeah, you're right. More significant AND demonstrable than Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Nightmare on Elm Street 2010.

Come to think of it Prometheus has relevancy to Indiana Jones seeing as Ridley Scott directed it, he directed Harrison Ford in Blade Runner and you can make the final relevant link, right?

Bet I could do that with Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Invention Of Hugo Cabret and Batman!

Nice one Nurse!

And if Harrison gets that part in the Teletubbies movie The Raven's going to be the hottest site on the net!
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #62
WillKill4Food
IndyFan
 
WillKill4Food's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York City, the Big Apple
Posts: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Come to think of it Prometheus has relevancy to Indiana Jones seeing as Ridley Scott directed it, he directed Harrison Ford in Blade Runner and you can make the final relevant link, right?
If the (ever so slight) possibility of a fifth Indiana Jones film hinged on what projects Ridley Scott devoted his time to over the next few years, then yes. Since this Lincoln film comes from the same director behind the Indiana Jones films, I think this thread might be the target of misdirected criticism.
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #63
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
If the (ever so slight) possibility of a fifth Indiana Jones film hinged on what projects Ridley Scott devoted his time to over the next few years, then yes.
That's reasonable, though over the course of 62 posts you're only the third one to bring it up, and I'm the only one to ever respond to that "relevant" sentiment.

Then again, the "criticism" was never about any one particular thread, was it?

Seems like an unwarranted defense...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #64
WillKill4Food
IndyFan
 
WillKill4Food's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York City, the Big Apple
Posts: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Then again, the "criticism" was never about any one particular thread, was it?
Fair, and there are certainly threads devoted to non-Indy films (and posters devoted to talking about non-Indy films) that might not belong at the Raven. However, if every or nearly every off-topic film thread brings about this same criticism, it might make it seem like all off-topic conversations are unwelcome.
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #65
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
...if every or nearly every off-topic film thread brings about this same criticism, it might make it seem like all off-topic conversations are unwelcome.
Without a doubt, if every or nearly every off-topic film thread brought about this same criticism it might make it seem like all off-topic conversations are unwelcome...it would.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #66
Goodeknight
IndyFan
 
Goodeknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 1,007
They filmed in Richmond, just a few hours from me. I did my best to email pics for their very last minute casting call for extras. I was dying to get a call back, but it never happened.

I actually figured that being in an Oscar winning Spielberg movie (just prognosticating about Oscar) would be a big step toward being an extra in Indy V.

I don't have a Civil War look, though. They were looking for people under 6'2", longish hair, and beards.

Oh well.
Goodeknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #67
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
I wonder what kind of accent he'll do for Lincoln, who had a squeaky voice, from what I hear.

He certainly has the visage down...

The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #68
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,872
Lets hope he does a better job on his voice than Costner did with Robin Hood...

...or Blanchett did with Natasha, I mean Irina.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #69
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
I wonder what kind of accent he'll do for Lincoln, who had a squeaky voice, from what I hear.
There are rumours of 2 phonautograph recordings of Lincoln speaking. A phonautograph was a French invention and a device that could record but not play back. However, with modern technology, phonautograms can now be heard.

This is a SUPPOSED recording of Abe delivering his famous, Gettysburg Address:



Hundreds of people have portrayed him on film but the voice that I grew up associating with Lincoln is from the animatronic figure in Walt Disney World's "Hall of the Presidents" attraction (the original verison by Royal Dano not the new one). "Was man meant to live for only a day? No....No."

Royal Dano even portrayed Lincoln on TV but he sported the Indy look in, "The Trouble With Harry":


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Lets hope he does a better job on his voice than Costner did with Robin Hood...

...or Blanchett did with Natasha, I mean Irina.
Or George C. Scott as Patton. Have you ever heard the real Patton talk? Pipsqueak!

P.S. What the hell is this? Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012). Vampire hunter?!?
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #70
Finn
Moderator
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
P.S. What the hell is this? Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012). Vampire hunter?!?
Hey hey hey. Don't judge it beforehand. The book is quite good, actually.

Also, from the same author...



Remember, it's not illegal to steal ideas. Especially if they've slipped into the public domain ages ago. Sometimes the result is quite cool. And the Internet agrees.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #71
Goodeknight
IndyFan
 
Goodeknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
There are rumours of 2 phonautograph recordings of Lincoln speaking. A phonautograph was a French invention and a device that could record but not play back. However, with modern technology, phonautograms can now be heard.

This is a SUPPOSED recording of Abe delivering his famous, Gettysburg Address:



Sounds like an absolute bunch-o-crap fake from the first two seconds.

And FirstSounds.org says, "Did Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville record Abraham Lincoln's voice on a phonautograph in the White House in 1863? We often get asked about this persistent rumor. The answer: we have seen no solid evidence that such a recording session ever took place, and we can trace the rumor itself back only a few decades."
Full article: http://www.firstsounds.org/features/lincoln.php

Sounds especially fake when you listen to some actual phonautograph recordings on their site.

And I can't imagine anyone saying, "Just speak into the giant cone, Mr. President."
"Why? What does it do?"
"Well, it doesn't do anything, but they might figure something out in 2008."

Last edited by Goodeknight : 12-01-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Goodeknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #72
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Hey hey hey. Don't judge it beforehand. The book is quite good, actually.

Remember, it's not illegal to steal ideas. Especially if they've slipped into the public domain ages ago. Sometimes the result is quite cool. And the Internet agrees.
Didn't know there was a book. Glad you enjoyed it but the concept is stupid (in my opinion). I clicked on your links and if I read the word, "trope", one more time, I'm going to puke almost as hard as I did when "MacGuffin" was the trendy, Raven buzzword.

Anyway, there are 2 Lincoln movies coming out next year! (More food for The Man.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeknight
Sounds like an absolute bunch-o-crap fake from the first two seconds.

And FirstSounds.org says, "Did Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville record Abraham Lincoln's voice on a phonautograph in the White House in 1863? We often get asked about this persistent rumor. The answer: we have seen no solid evidence that such a recording session ever took place, and we can trace the rumor itself back only a few decades."
Hi, Goodeknight. It could be a fake (but an old one) since it sounds like it was recorded in a room and not outdoors. That said, the quote you refer to concerns the supposed, White House recording and not about the Gettysburg Address in Pennsylvania. Perhaps Lincoln repeated his speech (in the White House) at a later date, specifically for this recording? Who knows? It's a mystery that needs to be solved...
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeknight
And I can't imagine anyone saying, "Just speak into the giant cone, Mr. President."
"Why? What does it do?"
"Well, it doesn't do anything, but they might figure something out in 2008."
Just saw your edit. Haw! Funny. But we really don't know what happened because we weren't there.

Last edited by Stoo : 12-01-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #73
Finn
Moderator
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Didn't know there was a book. Glad you enjoyed it but the concept is stupid (in my opinion). I clicked on your links and if I read the word, "trope", one more time, I'm going to puke almost as hard as I did when "MacGuffin" was the trendy, Raven buzzword.
Suit yourself, oldtimer.

The difference between these kind of things and real turkeys are that despite these could be considered one kind of garbage as well, they're honest about it. They never even expect to be taken seriously, at least on face value. And that is the thing that makes 'em likable.

In other words, it's exactly as satire behaves.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #74
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,026
Yeah, man! Abe Lincoln kicks vampire ass! Gimme a fricking break. I can just imagine the "other" movie. Vampire-huntin' Lincoln with a six-shooter in each hand, a cross hanging from his neck, a vial of holy water in his pocket and a spike tucked into his trousers. He is probably adept at Kung-Fu, too.

Finn, which of the 2 films are you anticipating more? "Lincoln" or the vampire hunter one?
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #75
Finn
Moderator
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Yeah, man! Abe Lincoln kicks vampire ass! Gimme a fricking break. I can just imagine the "other" movie. Vampire-huntin' Lincoln with a six-shooter in each hand, a cross hanging from his neck, a vial of holy water in his pocket and a spike tucked into his trousers. He is probably adept at Kung-Fu, too.
*Sigh* Despite me drawing a clear line between "good" and "bad" silliness, somebody still decides to ridicule the point by using the very same means I already condemned. (Well, what can you expect from an old fart?) Don't think Van Helsing, think Evil Dead with extra sophistication.

You sir, win 10 Internetts in Ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Finn, which of the 2 films are you anticipating more? "Lincoln" or the vampire hunter one?
The former. I've already gone through the book with the latter and I have to admit, there's always the risk that they forget the satiristic parts in the process of adaptation to the silver screen.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.