TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
gabbagabbahey
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 71
A radically different idea for Indy Five.

Well, yes & no. Yes, because it would be radically different because as far as I know nobody has tried this before with a major release, but no because it would be based on the classic pulp formula.

They shoot the whole thing at once, but break it down into four, one hour "mini movies", then, release them one week apart in chronological order. Of course, each "episode" leaves you hanging so you come back & watch the next one to see what happens. Because in the end you have a 4 hour long movie they could pretty much pull out all the stops for the final Indiana Jones release.

The movies would have special admission pricing, say, $4.99, so that you don't turn people off too much because they have to keep coming back to see what happens. In the end though, the producers/theaters are bringing in $20 for the release instead of the usual $8 (or whatever).

Is it a risk? Hell yeah. Could it work? Hell yeah. Sometimes you have to think outside the box & blaze some trails. If any series could pull it off it would be the Indy series, which was practically born to be released this way.

Remember, you heard it hear first. : )

Thoughts?
gabbagabbahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
Indy's brother
IndyFan
 
Indy's brother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the Map Room playing with a laser pointer
Posts: 3,029
It won't happen, but I think it's brilliant.

So is your screen name, btw!
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Mickiana
IndyFan
 
Mickiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,187
I think it's a really good idea but I don't think the market place will be amenable to it, only because of the format used so far. I think a week apart is too close. Maybe two weeks or a month to allow for a long enough season for each installment. The critics will be cynical and suspicious as to this new approach before it hits the screen. But I do agree with you that someone should be a trailblazer and try it. The more I think about it, the more I like it. It would have advantages everywhere.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
neverAcquiesce
IndyFan
 
neverAcquiesce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: between the sheets
Posts: 157
The inherent problem is the audience capping with the first film. Lucasfilm would no doubt make theatres sign up for all four films, and, even with word of mouth, films 2-4 would only draw the same amount as did film one, and if that installment didn't do well they'd be handcuffed into three more underperforming flicks.
neverAcquiesce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
gabbagabbahey
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverAcquiesce
The inherent problem is the audience capping with the first film. Lucasfilm would no doubt make theatres sign up for all four films, and, even with word of mouth, films 2-4 would only draw the same amount as did film one, and if that installment didn't do well they'd be handcuffed into three more underperforming flicks.


Yes, it's a gamble. But it has potentially big payoffs for everyone & let's be real, this Indy we're talking about. The appeal of the character & series goes way beyond this forum.
gabbagabbahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
The Drifter
IndyFan
 
The Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Posts: 4,152
I think that is a damn good idea!
It would be a very ballsy move, but one that I could see working. But, instead of a week apart, make it more like two.
But what of the person who missed the first sequence and lost his chance to see it when the second rolled around? That would be a lost viewer. I wonder how they could handle that dilemma?
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,017
1) Like Indy's brother said, your screen name is brilliant, gabbagabbahey. The RAMONES!

2) Your 4-chapter Indy 5 idea is less than brilliant because it would be finished within one, brief month.

Splitting up a new, 4 hour Indy movie into *15 minute* segments would be the way to go. Think of the dollar$ that could earned if placed before these future classics:

Chapter 01: shown before "The Dark Knob Rises"
Chapter 02: shown before "Lara Croft Sucks"
Chapter 03: shown before "Avengers 2: Spandex Champions"
Chapter 04: shown before "Iron Man 7: Stark Naked"
Chapter 05: shown before "Miss Congeniality 5"
Chapter 06: shown before "Wall-E Three"
Chapter 07: shown before "Winnie the Pooh, too."
Chapter 08: shown before "Thor 4: Lord of Bore"
Chapter 09: shown before "Avengers 3: Master Baiters"
Chapter 10: shown before "The Dark Knight Sucks"
Chapter 11: shown before "Fantasic Foursome"
Chapter 12: shown before "Disney Does Everyone!"
Chapter 13: shown before "Toy Story 6: Ken Loves Ken"
Chapter 14: shown before "Lara Croft Sucks Again"
Chapter 15: shown before "The Dark Knight Always Sucks"
Chapter 16: shown before "Captain America 3: Tulip Tiptoe"

At 15 minutes each, this would equal 4 hours of Indy...and generate lot$ and lot$ of ca$h.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
gabbagabbahey
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
But what of the person who missed the first sequence and lost his chance to see it when the second rolled around? That would be a lost viewer. I wonder how they could handle that dilemma?


Anymore most cinemas are multiplex's. Have one of the theaters rotating between the already released segments so people could catch up.
gabbagabbahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
The Drifter
IndyFan
 
The Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Posts: 4,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabbahey
Anymore most cinemas are multiplex's. Have one of the theaters rotating between the already released segments so people could catch up.

I'm sure there would be other films to already fill those screens, however.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #10
gabbagabbahey
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
I'm sure there would be other films to already fill those screens, however.


OK, you're fired, you're off the project. : ) (I'm joking)
gabbagabbahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
It is a radical idea, in terms of today's cinema, and it does go back to the original premise.

Since Stewie started the Cliffhanger thread I've been wondering about the practicalities of visiting a cinema 15 weeks in a row at any time during the 1930s-50s, with consideration to economics, travel and timing (which are the three factors would still apply today).

Did the original serials play on their own, or as a lead-in to a feature? Today if they did so, there would be films that people weren't interested in, so they'd have to pay the full exhorbitant price just to see the serial part.

In today's market a film split into cliffhanger parts would find itself more at home on DVD than in a cinema.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #12
gabbagabbahey
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 71
A couple more thoughts. The first three are stand alone stories but they all interconnect in some clever way in #4. Think Pulp Fiction (the movie).

Secondly, theaters would pre-sell tickets for all four parts as a package, say, $20.00 in advance (start selling tickets 6 months before it comes out) that would come with a special limited edition promotional item (Tee Shirt/poster/faux prop whatever). That way they've presold x number of tickets before the first one even shows. That eliminates the potential "The first one sucked so I'm not going to buy tickets to the other three." problem. Cut the theaters in on that & they'd be happy.

I really believe in this concept. How do I pitch it to the powers that be? Seriously.

Last edited by gabbagabbahey : 10-28-2011 at 11:12 PM.
gabbagabbahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #13
gabbagabbahey
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
It is a radical idea, in terms of today's cinema, and it does go back to the original premise.

Since Stewie started the Cliffhanger thread I've been wondering about the practicalities of visiting a cinema 15 weeks in a row at any time during the 1930s-50s, with consideration to economics, travel and timing (which are the three factors would still apply today).

Did the original serials play on their own, or as a lead-in to a feature? Today if they did so, there would be films that people weren't interested in, so they'd have to pay the full exhorbitant price just to see the serial part.

In today's market a film split into cliffhanger parts would find itself more at home on DVD than in a cinema.

I think 15 parts is a non starter. But four, stand alone short (1 hour) pictures that have a special, reduced price? And released close enough ( 1 or 2 weeks) apart to keep the interest up? Like I said, I really believe in this. It's radical, it's old, it's new, it's something different. They'd either walk out of this as heros or zeros & I'm saying if the films are good they're heros.
gabbagabbahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #14
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabbahey
I think 15 parts is a non starter. But four, stand alone short (1 hour) pictures that have a special, reduced price? And released close enough ( 1 or 2 weeks) apart to keep the interest up? Like I said, I really believe in this. It's radical, it's old, it's new, it's something different. They'd either walk out of this as heros or zeros & I'm saying if the films are good they're heros.

Four parts would be a reasonable limit, and it would also be a great selling point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabbahey
The first three are stand alone stories but they all interconnect in some clever way in #4. Think Pulp Fiction (the movie).

To be true to the original serial concept, the first three would need cliffhanger endings. But in the age of the internet, keeping the escapes secret before you see them will be difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabbahey
I really believe in this concept. How do I pitch it to the powers that be? Seriously.

You'd have to get to Lucas and Spielberg before they hand Indy over to Disney who'll release back-to-back two hour movies entitled Indiana Jones: The Prairie Dogs' Story and Indiana Jones: The Monkeys' Story.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Chapter 01: shown before "The Dark Knob Rises"

Blaxploitation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Chapter 02: shown before "Lara Croft Sucks"


Sexploitation?


Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
gabbagabbahey
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
To be true to the original serial concept, the first three would need cliffhanger endings. But in the age of the internet, keeping the escapes secret before you see them will be difficult.


Good point. It would be hard to have them be both cliff hangers and stand alone films at the same time. Now, they need to each be enjoyable viewed seperately but yes, they need to stay connected to tell one, whole story.
gabbagabbahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:23 AM   #16
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabbahey
Good point. It would be hard to have them be both cliff hangers and stand alone films at the same time. Now, they need to each be enjoyable viewed seperately but yes, they need to stay connected to tell one, whole story.

The selling point, then and now, is that you're compelled to see all the parts. A four-ticket package bought in advance at a reduced price, as you suggested, would be the way to go.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #17
Crack that whip
IndyFan
 
Crack that whip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Stone Mountain, GA
Posts: 1,723
It's a lovely idea, it really is, and I hate to throw a wet blanket on a lovely idea, but I think the reality is that this probably couldn't happen, even if Lucas and Spielberg got hold of the idea and really wanted to do it themselves. For it to happen would require cooperation across the entire industry - not just Lucasfilm and Paramount, but all the theater companies and all the individual theaters - on a restructuring of their current standard exhibition practices, for a single project. I'd dearly love to be wrong, but I don't think this would work, alas.
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #18
Mickiana
IndyFan
 
Mickiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,187
re Crackthatwhip, I think it would be a simple logistical extension of how movies are currently distributed and scheduled. Do it ahead of time, which they do anyway, and they could easily organise it. It's only time slots and meshing them with other new releases. Because it will go over an extended amount of time, release over a holiday period would be the way to go.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #19
gabbagabbahey
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 71
Yes, also you have to consider because these would be just 1 hr pics the theaters may well be willing to sign up because they can get a showing in, out & over in an hour & a half, which means they could have an extra showing or two a day.
gabbagabbahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #20
Toht's Arm
IndyFan
 
Toht's Arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 188
I think this is a really interesting idea, but surely it's one crying out for a legit digital download system? I know the studios continue to be reluctant to keep up with technology, but this kind of episodic filmmaking would be perfectly suited for video on demand?
Toht's Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:16 AM   #21
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toht's Arm
I think this is a really interesting idea, but surely it's one crying out for a legit digital download system? I know the studios continue to be reluctant to keep up with technology, but this kind of episodic filmmaking would be perfectly suited for video on demand?

Wouldn't you still want to see it in the cinema, however?

I figure part of the point is that it is, in its own way, a variation on the old serial format that inspired the series.

It also wouldn't help the apparent seriousness of the project if it could be viewed at home. As much as the serial element, it is a method that hearkens back to the event releases of yesteryear, but with a chapter format standing in place of the old manner of releasing films at only a few theaters that had the technological capacity.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:29 AM   #22
Toht's Arm
IndyFan
 
Toht's Arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Wouldn't you still want to see it in the cinema, however?

I figure part of the point is that it is, in its own way, a variation on the old serial format that inspired the series.

Yes, I would enjoy seeing it in the cinema, but home theaters are getting so damn good that there's less and less reason to do that these days. At home at least I know there won't be any problems with the picture or sound, as opposed to the cinema where they'll have assigned one projectionist to a dozen screens.

It would be interesting to see if the novelty of episodic storytelling appearing in cinemas once more would be enough to entice people.
Toht's Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:40 AM   #23
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
The problem would be getting people to commit to four sittings, as the pre-sold tickets would have to be for specific days and times for logistical purposes. If interest waned the fourth episode presentations might play to an empty theatre for various excuses for non-attendance.

The original format created tales that compelled the viewer to come to the cinema next week, because they would want to know how their hero or heroine was going to extract themselves from a predicament.

If Lucas and Spielberg could mimic that, then that would be the mark of success.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:40 AM   #24
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toht's Arm
Yes, I would enjoy seeing it in the cinema, but home theaters are getting so damn good that there's less and less reason to do that these days.

It's the experience of it, though. Believe me, I do the majority of my film viewing at home, like anyone, but I don't see how video on demand would be a part of the concept being put forth here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toht's Arm
It would be interesting to see if the novelty of episodic storytelling appearing in cinemas once more would be enough to entice people.

It certainly would. I'd imagine the hook that would be put forth would be the cliffhanger aspect of it, despite the large asymmetry between what's being proposed here and the actual length of the old serials.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:14 AM   #25
replican't
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 730
Rubbish idea. Nobody goes to the cinema anymore, let alone for a 1 hour film.

Evryone would just download it all off the net like a tv series anyway, so might as well make a 2 hour film instead.
replican't is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.