Crystal Skull fan-edits

IndyFan89

I like the nuke scene guys. Get rid of the Tarzan scene, tree scene, and the big alien at the end that serves no purpose but to make TUFF (yes i know how it's spelled) faces at Irina and we're golden.

emtiem

I'm not bothered about losing any of the fan bugbears (fridge etc.) but if it's possible to edit so that it seems Indy is in more danger, I'd be interested.

muttjones

Deckard said:
I played around with the movie.

The best thing you can do, is after the rocket sled, Indy walks out into the desert and overlooks doomtown.

If you cut right before he actally goes into doomtown, you can get rid of theentire rediculous nuke sequence and the totally unnecassary FBI interrogation. The music drops out smoothly so you don't have to edit, and then you pick up with the shot of Marshall college.

It makes the beginning shorter, like the others, and we never deal with the nuke at all. It then makes the next scene that much better when Broadbent walks into Indy's class. Indy being surprised that the FBI showed up and "ransacked" his office works alot better when he hasn't previously been getting along with them.

It actually made me feel like Indy was in even bigger trouble too, because he never "made up" with that General or explained how he was kidnapped. He was just at the warehouse and invloved in something shady, and they never get his side of the story.

But you can't get rid of the scrubs janitor? lol he was in fugitive with harrison ford.

I liked the doomtown seen (mostly) and think there are some good aspects but i would be interested to see how you edited this. could you maybe upload a vid of that section? just from when he gets off the rocket sled to where the dean says he resigned.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE it would be really interesting to see.

Deckard

muttjones said:
But you can't get rid of the scrubs janitor? lol he was in fugitive with harrison ford.

I liked the doomtown seen (mostly) and think there are some good aspects but i would be interested to see how you edited this. could you maybe upload a vid of that section? just from when he gets off the rocket sled to where the dean says he resigned.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE it would be really interesting to see.

Well especially with Lucasfilm, I don't want to get in trouble. If theres some way I can do it legally I happily will.

Basically what happens is, when Indy hops off the sled and hides he the walks over to a ridge overlooking doomtown. THe next shot is that one of him going over the fence intop the people's backyard. I cut right b4 that. Then I goto that shot of Marshall College outside, like we see right after Raiders and LC's openings.

It fades in perfectly, no wierd problems with the music or soundrack.

More important, what it does for me, is make Indy more vurneable the rest of the film because he didn't just survive a nuke.

If your older then 14, you should know a little about nukes, You plain and simple would not live no matter what if you were as close to the blast as Indy. It would not happen, sorry, I know some of you like it, its just too much for me as a person who knows better, so I love that it cuts so smoothly.

Now its immedate effect is great too, like I said it makes Indy feel like hes in more trouble, and it adds alot to the reason Indy is getting on that train to leave, it makes him feel like a fugitive, like he never explained being kidnapped and was just there with Russian Spies. Also makes the look Jim Broadbent gives Indy when he first walks ino his class much better/funnier IMO.

The end cut i made is very smooth as well with no soundtrack problems. This is where I cut the whole Knowlege was there treasure lines, the where you ging junior? why don't you stick around dad, and the somewhere grandpa is laughing scenes and go right from them overlooking the valley being flooded to Jim Broadbent running down the hallway.

I haven't tryed to cut the Monkey Scene yet bcuz its more complicated but thats next on my list.

sandiegojones

Deckard said:
If your older then 14, you should know a little about nukes, You plain and simple would not live no matter what if you were as close to the blast as Indy. It would not happen, sorry, I know some of you like it, its just too much for me as a person who knows better, so I love that it cuts so smoothly.
Indy is not real!!!!!

That was a joke. If your as old as the filmmakers and not 14, you'd know that in the 50's the government promoted the ridiculous "Duck and Cover" routine in schools. For those who don't know what that is, basically in the event of all out nuclear war you just crawl under your school desk and let the blast pass over you. There's even a cartoon with a turtle of all things singing a little tune (it's on youtube I bet).

My dad always said they did it so everybody who got nuked was in a neat pile of dust after the blast. Easy to clean up. :p

Also back then, fridges were made of die cast steel and not plastic like they are today. They also had latches like car doors, which if you were inside, were impossible to open. Many kids in the 50's actually died from locking themselves in the fridge.

The Doomtown scene is a joke that plays on both of these. That's why they made a point to show the fridge is "lead lined" and that the latch on the door breaks when the fridge crashes down in the desert so Indy can get out. Later the General says to Indy "don't you know it's dangerous to climb into one of those things?". They acknowledge the joke right there!

Unfortunately a lot of references in KOTCS are limited to those who lived in the 1950's or those very aware of their history and pop culture references. Of course he couldn't live, but you can't live when your heart is ripped out and a yellow raft would actually pop from a large fall or shred when it hit the ground and slalomed through coarse snow. It's a movie, not a documentary.

Last edited:

Deckard

But Im not talking about all this, I am aware of it tho, and I certainly wasn't live in the 50s I just took alot of History classes.

What Im talking about is him getting out o the fridge and walking over to look at the mushroom cloud. The shockwave is still kicking up dust like 10 feet in front of him. The amount of radiation he'd be doused with would kill him in minutes or a few hours tops, I don't care how well that guy scrubbed his balls he'd die.

And the ark fire arguement doesn't apply here, he was being judged by God in that case and let live. In this case it was a man made weapon. I don't care how much God loves you, or how much you belive in him, if a nuke goes off less then a half mile away, you just lost the game of life, we'll have some lovely prting gifts tho, like melting skin, throwing up your own bubbling internal organs, and a very very painful death.

Also please forgive my spelling lately, my keyboard is just about done and the keys aren't always working when i hit them.

Oh and P.P.S. Those loveable little CGI Prairie gods, aww theyre cute aren't they? THEY ALL DIED FROM RADIATION. Ahahahaha.

emtiem

Deckard said:

They used some pretty 'weak' nukes in some of these tests- there's a famous Doomtown-style house that's still standing and contained a safe which survived a blast with its contents intact. Indy is presumably moved out of the zone before any fallout can get to him and is protected from the initial radiation by the fridge. Movie logic combined with a little historical knowledge makes it work- don't worry about it.

Deckard

emtiem said:
They used some pretty 'weak' nukes in some of these tests- there's a famous Doomtown-style house that's still standing and contained a safe which survived a blast with its contents intact. Indy is presumably moved out of the zone before any fallout can get to him and is protected from the initial radiation by the fridge. Movie logic combined with a little historical knowledge makes it work- don't worry about it.

No, it really doesn't. You clearly know nothing about Atomic Radiation, no offence, I didn't either until i looked into it. The range of radiation compared to how close he was when he looked at that blast = he's dead.

Its just retarded. Theres no other way to put it. It makes any and everything else in the entire saga look like "kiddie play." Including a 700 yr old man. You have better chance of seeing one of those then surviving a blast like that.

sandiegojones

I think Indy is supposed to be farther than the shot implies and the shockwave had already passed given the way the scene was presented.

You can find many real pictures of guys looking at test site explosions and they are only maybe 3-5 miles away. Indy is supposed to be about a mile and a half from doomtown, which was about a mile from the bomb tower. Given that the shockwave had passed Indy after the intial blast and the fridge was lead lined the filmmakers at least present it as "possible" especially with the radiation scrub down.

53-125.jpg

T-52-17.JPG

T-52-27.JPG

Dr-01.jpg

Dr-79.jpg

Dr-65.jpg

Deckard

To me, and as you say, it could be the way its shot, but to me, it looks like he isn't even a mile away from the blast.

emtiem

Deckard said:
No, it really doesn't. You clearly know nothing about Atomic Radiation, no offence, I didn't either until i looked into it. The range of radiation compared to how close he was when he looked at that blast = he's dead.

Yeah, I have, and as the pictures above show- that's not true. These aren't big or dirty nukes in the grand scheme of things. Fallout doesn't occur straight away i.e. in the time we see Indy looking at the explosion and the initial radiation and heat blast are the things which pose the most threat to him there- both of which he has avoided.

emtiem

Deckard said:
To me, and as you say, it could be the way its shot, but to me, it looks like he isn't even a mile away from the blast.

You clearly know nothing about perspective ;)

Deckard

emtiem said:
Yeah, I have, and as the pictures above show- that's not true. These aren't big or dirty nukes in the grand scheme of things. Fallout doesn't occur straight away i.e. in the time we see Indy looking at the explosion and the initial radiation and heat blast are the things which pose the most threat to him there- both of which he has avoided.

There are differant payload sizes, I would assume a test on our own soil would be relatively small, but never the less, the entire situation of surviving a n explosion like that is just rediculous. I can't beleive I have to make as much as a case as I am, cmon guys it was an atomic blast. I know we all want it to be legit bcuz we love Indy, but how can you really watch that scene and say, yea that could happen. It churns my stomach watching that fridge fly through the air.

Deckard

emtiem said:
You clearly know nothing about perspective ;)

I know that there isn't such a thing as it when your actually filming against a green wall... As to how far he was computer generated to look away, as a licensed helicopter pilot that has to make judgement calls on distance like that everyday, I can feel safe saying It wasn't 3-5 miles.

Last edited:

Deckard

First note smoke and heat coming off the ground as well as the fires all over the place, telling me that the heat blast extended just as far as the shockwave which blew him clear of the initial blast. That definatly means the radiation extended that far as well.

cap109.jpg

cap110.jpg

Five Miles away? I don't think so. Look at that 2nd pic above, the epicenter looks to be about a mile and a half at most, away. How can the shockwave from the blast itself blow you far enough away, when thats how far the damage is extending? It doesn't make sense...

Also dig all that sexy radioactive materal falling from the mushroom clouds and landing about 10 feet from Indy's left. Yea, that could happen...

cap113.jpg

cap114.jpg

And i love that he actually walks closer to it to get a better look... just insane.

Last edited:

sandiegojones

He's about 2 miles away from the blast. Doomtown was a mile from the bomb tower and he got blown another mile. The film chooses to ignore the fallout by showing that the fridge is lead lined and that he get scrubbed down almost immediately. I put some more photos in the 50's B-movie thread for KOTCS. Some of those look more like th movie (except that the film went for an orangy look of dust and grit).

Deckard

sandiegojones said:
He's about 2 miles away from the blast. Doomtown was a mile from the bomb tower and he got blown another mile. The film chooses to ignore the fallout by showing that the fridge is lead lined and that he get scrubbed down almost immediately. I put some more photos in the 50's B-movie thread for KOTCS. Some of those look more like th movie (except that the film went for an orangy look of dust and grit).

Exactly the movie has its own make believe way of dealing with it, which to me doesn't cut it, and is why I did cut it.

If you enjoyed it, thats cool, Im just trying to explain why it is not possible.

They set out to make a 50's sci-fi B movie, I get that, my problem is they treated my intelligence as if I was someone actually living in the 50's who didnt know about atomic weapons and how they work. I guess if I was really in 1957 and taught to get under my desk to protect myself from a blast I may believe Indy could rock out in a fridge, unfortunately I have an education.

Last edited:

sandiegojones

Fine, but my point is not that I think it's possible (I don't) but that it's presented as "slightly plausible". I also understand it as a joke the same as the raft bit in TOD. I know they're not the same, but both are ridiculous.

Still the perspective of this photo is almost identical to the film:

T-52-38.JPG

Last edited:

Deckard

Ya man I see where your coming from, I wasn't saying you in particular, but there are people here on this board who really think that it could happen.

I understand the plausible explanation thing, its just to me, something we as fans shouldn' even have to do, we shoulnt have to go oh its possible if this and that.

That portion just should have been done differantly.

For example, the Rocketsled would have been a far better means for him geting out of the blast range quickly, and it wouldn't have been anywhere near as rediculous.

Like with the life raft, at least on Mythbusters they could drop the raft from a plane like 4 times and detirmine it is possible if you do it just right. With the nuke, the odds are just way less.

And I get that he's Indy and its by the seat of his pants he gets away with things no regular person could, but a nuke is just too much. What makes me think that is the case is that it hasn't mushroomed yet, its still extending upward, which hints it's larger.

BTW with that photo, we cant see the actual epicenter, it could just be a larger (Fatter) explosion which is what makes it look closer. If you notice, that photo u posted the blast hasn't mushroomed yet, which means its still extending upward and therefore we don't know how large it ended up, which leads me to believe it is in fact larger then the one in the film and simply further away.

Last edited: