The Dark Tower books

Indy fan 235

Any fans of Stephen King's Dark Tower books here?

I'm just about finished reading book three in the series, The Wastelands, and I am really enjoying it.

Ska

I finished book two (The Drawing of the Three) a few months ago. I have the rest on my shelf, but have been reading other works.

I'm enjoying the series so far. I have no clue what is going on/going to happen, but I like it that way.

Billy Ray

I am a big fan of the series! You guys have no idea how lucky you are to be just now getting into it, with all the books completed. There were some dark times waiting YEARS between books. Then King's accident, before he was finished, man that was scary!

Will be intersting to see your reactions once you get to the end. A lot of folks didn't care for it...I thought it was great though. So much great stuff in this series. Some books are definitely better than others, but they were all good.

Henry W Jones

Billy Ray said:
I am a big fan of the series! You guys have no idea how lucky you are to be just now getting into it, with all the books completed. There were some dark times waiting YEARS between books. Then King's accident, before he was finished, man that was scary!

Will be intersting to see your reactions once you get to the end. A lot of folks didn't care for it...I thought it was great though. So much great stuff in this series. Some books are definitely better than others, but they were all good.

I read them as they came as well so I know what you mean. I loved the ending as well. I haven't found to many people who have read them and would love to discuss them. Have read them 3 times and can't wait to see them made into films.

Billy Ray

Yeah, I read the earlier books multiple times, just to re-familiarize myself before a new one would come out.

I'd have to say that my favorite is Wizard and the Glass. A lot of folks don't care for it as it doesn't progress the story much, but the whole flashback sequence is a great story and gives a lot of insight into Roland's past. It just build and builds and there are some great characters in it as well. It would be great if King wrote some more prequel type stories.

Another facet of the whole Dark Tower series that I like is how King tied alot of his other works into it. I don't want to say too much, so as not to spoil anything, but there a lot of Dark Tower references in his other books and a lot of stuff from his other books in the Dark Tower series.

Henry W Jones

Billy Ray said:
Yeah, I read the earlier books multiple times, just to re-familiarize myself before a new one would come out.

I'd have to say that my favorite is Wizard and the Glass. A lot of folks don't care for it as it doesn't progress the story much, but the whole flashback sequence is a great story and gives a lot of insight into Roland's past. It just build and builds and there are some great characters in it as well. It would be great if King wrote some more prequel type stories.

Another facet of the whole Dark Tower series that I like is how King tied alot of his other works into it. I don't want to say too much, so as not to spoil anything, but there a lot of Dark Tower references in his other books and a lot of stuff from his other books in the Dark Tower series.

I agree, Wizard and the Glass is great story and gives a lot of insight to Roland's character.

Have you looked at "The Dark Tower Concordance" ?

Have you read the short story "The Little Sisters of Eluria"? I am about to read it this week for the first time. It is another story about Roland's past.

Billy Ray

I did read that story, it was in a collection of other short stories. It's pretty cool, I think you will like it.

Hadn't heard of the concordance...I just looked it up on Amazon and I MUST have it! :D

Henry W Jones

Billy Ray said:
I did read that story, it was in a collection of other short stories. It's pretty cool, I think you will like it.

Hadn't heard of the concordance...I just looked it up on Amazon and I MUST have it! :D

FYI. There are 2 volumes.

JRJENNINGS86

i love these books. all seven of them are amazing. now... if you look inside the cover of a recently printed King book, any book title he has written with an * or some odd marker, is a book that goes along with the dark tower series. the Shining is a dark tower book partner. in the later dark tower books, special characters from other King books will make an apearance. it is neat how King included alot of his other books to go along with the Dark Tower series.

Henry W Jones

JRJENNINGS86 said:
i love these books. all seven of them are amazing. now... if you look inside the cover of a recently printed King book, any book title he has written with an * or some odd marker, is a book that goes along with the dark tower series. the Shining is a dark tower book partner. in the later dark tower books, special characters from other King books will make an apearance. it is neat how King included alot of his other books to go along with the Dark Tower series.

Its actually kind of amazing how many of his books tie to the series. Did you like the ending?

JRJENNINGS86

Henry W Jones said:
Its actually kind of amazing how many of his books tie to the series. Did you like the ending?

i was ok with the ending, i felt incomplete at the end though. i will say no more or the ending may be ruined for those who have only begun the DT journey.

Zealot

I red the first one. It was okay, a little bit slow at times, but in the end, a nice book.
I started with the second, but couldn't finish it. Just as I was about to start enjoying the mysterious world or Roland, King plummets us into the 50's (I think?) with some new characters and some gangsters. I don't know why, but I couldn't wait that segment of the story to end. And when it did, oh, now we open a new door and visit some old lady with personality disorder. I just didn't care at that point anymore.

Henry W Jones

Zealot said:
I red the first one. It was okay, a little bit slow at times, but in the end, a nice book.
I started with the second, but couldn't finish it. Just as I was about to start enjoying the mysterious world or Roland, King plummets us into the 50's (I think?) with some new characters and some gangsters. I don't know why, but I couldn't wait that segment of the story to end. And when it did, oh, now we open a new door and visit some old lady with personality disorder. I just didn't care at that point anymore.

The story is about different dimensions. You gave up when it was about to get interesting. Those characters you mentioned end up being key players in Rolands story.

Ska

I'm reading book 3 (The Wastelands) right now. Loving the series so far.

Can't wait to see how this whole thing ties together. I'm so confused right now (which I'm sure is King's intent).

phantom train

I've read the first four books in the DT series, and really enjoyed them; they are a great combination of several genres: western, science-fiction, fantasy, and horror.

I'm going to go back and re-read these at some point, and then read books 5-7. From doing research on this series, it's interesting that "The Gunslinger" (the first book) was actually originally published in '82 in a limited edition. I myself didn't even hear of the book until it was published in a mass-market edition in '88, which is when I first read this.

Henry W Jones

April 24th 2012 The Dark Tower 4.5 The Wind Through the Keyhole hits stores.(y)

wind_through_the_keyhole.JPG