Mutt finding Indy..?

AtomicAnt

Did anyone else feel like something was left out when they left Mutt. How did he know Indy was at the train station? Did he trail him, if he did trail him why didn't he notice the KGB trailing him? It just seems so haphazardly thrown into the mix. Anyone else feel the same?

IAdventurer01

I figured "Mary" told him to look for a Professor Jones who probably still worked at the College. He looked Jones up in the staff directory and asked around to where he might be. The dean told him he hopped a train but if he hurried, he could still catch him.

As for him not noticing he was being followed, he just wasn't paying attention.

So, no, I don't think anything was left out. Sure, I filled in a lot of detail there, but it makes sense and, frankly, is pretty dull. I'm glad it was left out. ;)

AtomicAnt

That's still an incredible amount of assuming. I mean, a massively incredible amount of assuming. If Mutt ran into the Dean (who was the only one besides the KGB who knew where Indy was going.) then obviously A) It would have had to of been before Indy left for the station at Indy's house but after the conversation we see (which we know didn't happen.) or B) he ran into him later at some point after he left Indy's house and since Indy was packing we knew he was leaving very soon so the chances of him meeting one of the two people he told where he was going before Indy boarding the train are extremely low. Normally, I'm all for the introduction of new characters and they all pop out of nowhere, however its the introduction that you have to figure out or else it'll just seem like "OH LOOK, KOEPP CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO ADVANCE THE PLOT, QUICK JUST THROW THE SON THERE!" It'd have felt not so forced if Mutt showed up at Indy's house just when Indy was about to leave or something, as it is in the film Mutt just seems to come from nowhere, no idea where Indy was, no idea really what he even looked like.. yet somehow he knew exactly where to be at the exact time and knew the exact person to yell for. I don't know, maybe I'm thinking too hard here.

Darth Vile

AtomicAnt said:
That's still an incredible amount of assuming. I mean, a massively incredible amount of assuming. If Mutt ran into the Dean (who was the only one besides the KGB who knew where Indy was going.) then obviously A) It would have had to of been before Indy left for the station at Indy's house but after the conversation we see (which we know didn't happen.) or B) he ran into him later at some point after he left Indy's house and since Indy was packing we knew he was leaving very soon so the chances of him meeting one of the two people he told where he was going before Indy boarding the train are extremely low. Normally, I'm all for the introduction of new characters and they all pop out of nowhere, however its the introduction that you have to figure out or else it'll just seem like "OH LOOK, KOEPP CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO ADVANCE THE PLOT, QUICK JUST THROW THE SON THERE!" It'd have felt not so forced if Mutt showed up at Indy's house just when Indy was about to leave or something, as it is in the film Mutt just seems to come from nowhere, no idea where Indy was, no idea really what he even looked like.. yet somehow he knew exactly where to be at the exact time and knew the exact person to yell for. I don't know, maybe I'm thinking too hard here.

I think you are thinking too hard. Movies are full of such conveniences that are used to move a story on in the shortest possible manner. E.g. How did Donovan's guys know Indy was going to be sneaking out of a college at that particular time? How did the Brothers of the Cruciform Sword know that Indy had escaped the catacomb fire to chase him in the streets? How was Short Round able to park directly beneath the window that Indy randomly jumps out of? How come Jock was parked up 5 mins run away from the South American temple, yet in the opening credits it appeared that Indy needed donkeys, guides, baggage handlers etc. to get there?

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
I think you are thinking too hard. Movies are full of such conveniences that are used to move a story on in the shortest possible manner. E.g. How did Donovan's guys know Indy was going to be sneaking out of a college at that particular time? How did the Brothers of the Cruciform Sword know that Indy had escaped the catacomb fire to chase him in the streets? How was Short Round able to park directly beneath the window that Indy randomly jumps out of? How come Jock was parked up 5 mins run away from the South American temple, yet in the opening credits it appeared that Indy needed donkeys, guides, baggage handlers etc. to get there?

All pulpy good luck, apart from the last one. ;)

http://raven.theraider.net/showpost.php?p=450814&postcount=46

StoneTriple

Darth Vile said:

Well demonstrated, DV. Another perfect example of how the first three films get a pass for the same things Kingdom gets bashed for.

Adventurer01's explanation is spot on. Mutt even tells Indy in the diner that his mother told him to find him. His showing up as he was leaving works perfectly.

Montana Smith

StoneTriple said:
Well demonstrated, DV. Another perfect example of how the first three films get a pass for the same things Kingdom gets bashed for.

The first three came out before the emergence of the internet, and I think the internet has made movie critics of many of us. ;)

We may also be more cynical now, and asking more from the movies we watch. ROTLA was at first a stand-alone movie, but it was a seed that germinated into three more adventures. The last three are closely related to the first, but for an increase in scale with KOTCS.

While Indy does occupy a pulp universe, it's a richly drawn one, so that we might find in-universe explanations for many, if not all, of the absurdities.

StoneTriple

Montana Smith said:
We may also be more cynical now...

I don't see your culture day to day, so I'm not sure how it is (my visits to the UK are vacations, so they're by nature more pleasant) but over here our society is considerably more mean-spirited, arrogant, and angry. Particularly the past decade or so.

I think you're right on about the internet changing the game. No doubt the ability to voice one's opinion in an instant, to a large audience, as well as the safety of being anonymous has made people more vocal & brave. Forums like this are a textbook example. Hate just for the sake of being hateful and a level of crotch-grabbing & snark that quite simply would not take place if we were all in the same room - well, at least not more than once. ;)

Montana Smith

StoneTriple said:
I don't see your culture day to day, so I'm not sure how it is (my visits to the UK are vacations, so they're by nature more pleasant) but over here our society is considerably more mean-spirited, arrogant, and angry. Particularly the past decade or so.

If you're in the US, then we're probably very alike. There's good and there's bad. And the bad make you angry, especially when it's bad driving. I live in a pretty rural area, and the driving round here seems to get deadlier by the day. You need the luck of Indy just to get safely to your destination. Every route into our village is by a narrow lane, and there's often drivers that just don't slow down, and force you to take evasive action... which leads me back to the internet...

StoneTriple said:
I think you're right on about the internet changing the game. No doubt the ability to voice one's opinion in an instant, to a large audience, as well as the safety of being anonymous has made people more vocal & brave. Forums like this are a textbook example. Hate just for the sake of being hateful and a level of crotch-grabbing & snark that quite simply would not take place if we were all in the same room - well, at least not more than once. ;)

Some people use message boards the same way they drive - hell for leather without thinking of the consequences. So it's no surprise that KOTCS seems to have become the most controversial of the four movies. It's a target for a fight.

And yes, if this fight took place in the same room, it would end with the caption: Directed by Quentin Tarantino!

StoneTriple

Montana Smith said:
If you're in the US, then we're probably very alike.
Yes, the US here. Too bad, I was really hoping it was just us becoming more toxic.

Montana Smith said:
it's no surprise that KOTCS seems to have become the most controversial of the four movies. It's a target for a fight.
Yeah, accounts created for the sole purpose of baiting and trolling. Most have been taken care of, but a few are still hanging around unfortunately. Judging by some of the posts way back, a few were ready to start the **** before the film even came out.

Montana Smith said:
And yes, if this fight took place in the same room, it would end with the caption: Directed by Quentin Tarantino!
;)