What makes Indy Indy?

I

Indy_Jones88

Here is a subject for discussion. What makes Iniana Jones the Indy we all love.

I think it is because he is mysterious, especially at the begining of Raiders (My favorite Part). He doesnt talk much but thats ok. Also his outfit, he is ready for anything.

What is everybody elses opinions?

Junior Jones

He's a regular guy thrust into exciting and exotic situations.

In some ways he's very smart (history and archaeology) but he also makes a lot of dumb mistakes, just like the rest of us.

Everywhere he goes, he seems comfortable. Not because he's got everything under control, but because he's flexible or, as he put it "I'm making this up as I go." We all find ourselves in situations like that and can appreciate how he handles it, even if we can't be as comfortable or flexible.

He's passionate about what he belives in, which fuels his determination to see things through. When things go wrong he doesn't give up. Maybe the rest of us have other passions, but we can relate to Indy.

He's not perfect; he's not Superman. He's just like the rest of us. I can't be perfect; I can't be Superman. But I can be inspired by Indiana Jones.

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah.. you're right.
I too think it's 'cause he's a very 'human' hero.
He bleeds, he gets wounded, doesn't win every fight? and so on. He makes mistakes, just like everyone else.

I

Indy_Jones88

Very well put, hes a down to earth guy. I like that. I think thats a major reason Indy is so popular. I mean you can go and watch Superman but you know your nothing like him. But if you watch Indiana Jones you can relate to him and you want to be like him. Very well put.

grumpus

Exactly he's just a guy who has a passion for what he does. The fact that he does get hurt makes him human which i really like. it i could only get shot in the arm and still be able to beat the crap out of someone

grumpus

Indy_jones88, you are right he is ready for anything in his outfit, except maybe a dinner party

Strider

Indy is a very complex character and he has alot of differant sides to him. There's the dark mysterious side and the nice caring side, and then you have all that good old Harrison Ford humor. I really found the tough guy Raiders personality the most intreging.

Tennessee R

I think Ayrun is correct.
He is a hero without supernatural powers.
I think people like a man that is not perfectly proper. (Bond)

fatima

I agree with the passion factor, which makes him react to the situations the way he does, with tenecity, courage...he goes to the edge if necessary but uses always his perseverance to be careful and thinking with his inteligence so he doesn't loose the control of the situations, so he is confident in himself and that helps him a big deal for his demands.

ElodieJones

I think like you.

His courage, his humor, his passion for his work, his inteligence...
He is very mysterious. He don't smoke !!!

All his personnality make Indy indy.

Webley

A big part of " What makes Indy Indy?" is the actor that plays Indy. If the movies had been made with some other actor and not Harrison Ford thay would be as grate as always but the fact that Harrison Ford is such a "Good Guy" in real life help make Indy the way he is and I think the same thing gos for Sean Patrick Flannery.

Indyologist

Indyologist said:
2 words: chest hair.

Okay, okay. All female ogling aside (but hey, ya gotta expect that from me, guys)...

He is resourceful, intelligent, has a rapier wit and is, above all, vulnerable. Even though most of the scrapes he gets into is pure Hollywierd derring-do, he himself as a person is believable. That's what audiences liked about him, that's what spielburg liked about him, and that's what I like about him. Also, he's freakin' gorgeous. Sorry, had to put that in. You all made some excellent points.

Here's a nice quote from Spielburg:

"I always envisioned the character of Indiana Jones as a real throwback movie hero: a lover and a cad and a two-fisted hellion. In the early sequences of the movie, while he's teaching a class, he looks the picture of a well-dressed professor. But the moment he puts on his fighting clothes?his leather jacket and his hat?he suddenly is dressed also with half an inch of dust, and dirt around the cheeks and under the nails. And, unlike James Bond, he doesn't win every fight he's in. He gets to the edge of the cliff, and sometimes he goes over the other side. He doesn't necessarily survive every cliffhanger unscathed. That was one of the things I was determined to do. I didn't want this man to get into this kind of action and come away with white teeth and washed hands. Instead he comes away cut and bruised and battered and wonderfully in pain."

natedogg

Harrison Ford makes Indy, Indy! I don't know if I would've liked the trilogy if Tom Selleck had gotten the part.

Johan

I don't know if I would like it or not if it wasnt HF playing the part of Indy...It's hard to even imagine

NJ Dr. Jones78

I think Tom S is a cool guy in all, but no way could he have made Indiana Jones come to life the way HF did. HF is a legend in his own time. Long live INDY

I

Indy's_main_man

Amen

No more "what if" talk about who might play Indy in the next film or what might have been if someone else played him in the past.