How Old Is Mutt?

Montana Smith

Mutt would be this old, less 9 months:

IJMarioncartoon_19.jpg

Old enough to know better?

Attila the Professor said:
Indy is iconic, so you don't need the face to be right. And that's definitely Paul Freeman. But who's the girl?

Well she's from 36' or earlier...

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Can we be sure it's a girl at all? I mean, look at the size of "her" hand...

Never mind the size of her hand, but what it's holding. No wonder Belloq looks so smug, and Indy so depressed.

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
Never mind the size of her hand, but what it's holding. No wonder Belloq looks so smug, and Indy so depressed.
While the parts you are referring to are certainly nice and oddly captivating to the eye, I'd still say the hand is an issue, if it's an implication that there's a little something extra in the regions about 15 inches south from those.

Though of course, I shouldn't speak in a general sense since I've obviously got no idea what sort of stuff makes your meter running, but it's certainly a mood killer to me.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
While the parts you are referring to are certainly nice and oddly captivating to the eye, I'd still say the hand is an issue, if it's an implication that there's a little something extra in the regions about 15 inches south from those.

That wasn't the part of the anatomy to which I was referring.

I sensed she was holding something of Belloq's.

Finn said:
Though of course, I shouldn't speak in a general sense since I've obviously got no idea what sort of stuff makes your meter running, but it's certainly a mood killer to me.

Whatever he/she is, Indy wants some, and Belloq's got it.

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
I sensed she was holding something of Belloq's.
Ohh... so apart from the random raven-haired beauty, there's also a performing Willie in that bed, and she's well... appreciating the show.

Montana Smith said:
Whatever he/she is, Indy wants some, and Belloq's got it.
As long as those blankets are in place, at least.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Ohh... so apart from the random raven-haired beauty, there's also a performing Willie in that bed, and she's well... appreciating the show.

As long as those blankets are in place, at least.

To be on the safe side, we could just say it was a poorly drawn Marion. :p

It began in the tent when Belloq said, "It puts on the wedding dress, or else it gets the coathanger again."

It was no surprise that Mutt never knew his father

Montana Smith said:
It began in the tent when Belloq said, "It puts on the wedding dress, or else it gets the coathanger again."

Wow, that's an artfully drawn yet somewhat gruesome sentence...pun intended.

Golem...Gollem

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Wow, that's an artfully drawn yet somewhat gruesome sentence...pun intended.

Golem...Gollem

It's 'Gollum', my preciousss.

Though it was Buffalo Bill who said, "If it out drinks me, it goes down the hole." Which would seem to be a 1930s form of contraceptive. Nevertheless, Mutt was born, unfortunately.

Montana Smith said:
...would seem to be a 1930s form of contraceptive. Nevertheless, Mutt was born, unfortunately.

This accounts for the holes dug all over and the poor condition of the find.

Montana Smith said:
It's 'Gollum', my preciousss.
Was getting to that spelling dear boy...

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
This accounts for the holes dug all over and the poor condition of the find.

This site also demonstrates one of the great dangers of archaeology, not to life and limb, though that does happen too. No, I'm talking about folklore. [And in particular tinkering with things that should have been left alone.]

Raiders90

Did no one in the cast, crew, or screenwriters facepalm when the name Mutt Williams was touted? His name is so disgustingly cheesy that my cholesterol levels get even higher just hearing it. I mean really...Henry "Mutt" Williams? Come on. What next, are we going to hear that Henry Sr's nickname was "Mad Dog Jones"? I mean cripes, the "Indiana" gag worked in LC because it was grounded in both a real life in-joke and because it explained the professor being named "Indiana." It also has a legitimate in universe explanation: Indy loved that dog. He had a lot of adventures and hijinks with that dog and honored him by taking his name; He also did this to separate himself from his father who he was named after, someone he never wanted to be like. All sound, good reasons. It's also a cool name: Indiana Jones. Mutt Williams is just...just killing an already told joke.. There's no point in having Indy's son have a dog related name. There's no sound reason for it, in or out of universe. It's just a cheesy, half thought out, crappy wink at the fans. Just another example of poor and contrived fan service.

I mean Short Round's name was cheesy but at least Short Round's character surpassed his name. He wasn't some effete Disney channel tool who combed and played with his hair like a Parisian Dandy. He was a fearless little kid in many respects.

I mean "Mutt" gets kidnapped by Soviet soldiers and all he cares about is his bike missing? He has a sword at the base of his throat and all he can do is exclaim "Stop-stop-stop-stop", pull out his comb and make sure his Duck's Ass haircut is in good order? Ugh. If I was Spalko, I would've just stabbed him on general principle right then and there. This is a character who has no depth, no real redeeming qualities; A character who is a wannabe toughguy, a wannabe clone of Marlon Brando, a character that spouts off the most cliched nifty '50s phrases as if he's a walking book of 1950s Greaser Lexicon.

People complain about Short Round, but at least the relationship there between he and Indy had some heart. Shorty at first seemed like an annoying '80s card board cut out kid character, but the kid showed real grit. HE SAVED INDY'S LIFE! He took being whipped! He fought huge Thugee guards! He kicked the Maharajah's ass! He helped Indy save an entire village worth of enslaved children! Mutt got his ass kicked by a woman.

Some complain about SPF as Young Indy, but he had quite a few dark moments. He kicked ass when he had to, killed when he had to, and was both a SOLDIER AND SPY in World War I! He wasn't combing his hair every five minutes or whining. His grievances with his father had depth and reality to them. He was learned. He was tough when he needed to be.

Even compared to the younger, more naive, less hardened version of his father at the same age, Mutt sucks. Mutt is supposed to be 20 or 21 in KOTCS. Well, when Indy was 20/21, he was just finishing up/finished two and a half years of war and death. He had had a woman he loved, his fiancee, die in his arms, a murder which was indirectly his fault; He watched friends and lovers die and saw the insanity, barbarism and betrayals of World War I; He fought vampires; He escaped from one of the most well crafted prisons ever. What did Mutt do? Dropped out of school and learned how to comb his hair and took fencing lessons.

"Mutt" is just a petulant man child, a boy in a man's body, played by a Disney Channel tool of an actor. The high point of his character is being hit in the nuts repeatedly in a horrid gag aimed at little kids while having a swordfight with Spalko. Shia, despite Spielberg's creepy pederast-esque infatuation with him, was a flash in the pan actor who doesn't even have real chops or real talent; Little more than a pretty face that delights 11 year old girls; He's no River Phoenix, for an apt comparison. River was more than just a pretty face and teen idol of his time; He had real depth and talent as an actor, and a raw edge to his skills which made him a very credible Young Indy. Both Shia the actor and Mutt the character have no EDGE, which is something you'd think the son of Indiana Jones and Marion Ravenwood would have.

He's quite possibly the worst character in the entire franchise's history, perhaps next to Mac. Even Remy was less annoying.

And they (or at least Lucas) actually considered the idea of this Disney Channel tool taking the mantle over from Indy in a future film, relegating Indy to the role of a Henry Sr, in his own series? What the hell was Lucas smoking?!? What has he been smoking since 1997? It must be some really good stuff to put his head where it's been all these years.

"Smog in the Noggin"
"Don't give these pigs a thing."
"Daddy-O"

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Raiders112390 said:
Quite possibly the worst character in the entire franchise's history. Even Remy was less annoying.

By comparison Remy was a great character. And he even got to kick Indy's ass. (Or at least punch him in the face).

young_indiana_jones_02.jpg

Raiders112390 said:
And they (or at least Lucas) actually considered the idea of this Disney Channel tool taking the mantle over from Indy in a future film, relegating Indy to the role of a Henry Sr, in his own series? What the hell was Lucas smoking?!? What has he been smoking since 1997? It must be really good to put his head where it's been.

Damn you, Belloq! And damn you, Indy, for taking Marion to Egypt!

Raiders90

Montana Smith said:
By comparison Remy was a great character. And he even got to kick Indy's ass. (Or at least punch him in the face).

young_indiana_jones_02.jpg

Remy for all his faults, was a good sidekick and "older brother" of sorts to the Young Indy. He was genuinely a good friend, even if he complained. And he knew both how to fight and how to kill, and his persistence in seeking treasure surpassed even that of the younger Jones. Remy has a good send off--going off into the blue, even if madly, in search of fortune and glory. And even though his character is at times over the top in characterization, that's actually quite in line with the people Indy takes as his friends. See Sallah, for example.

Of all Indy's friends we've seen on screen, I actually quite liked Remy. Their friendship was believable and sad when it ended, especially the way it did. At least we had a reason to care about Remy. And he had real loyalty to Indy...Compare that to Mac, who we have no reason to care for, no history with, and who betrays Indy in the first 15 minutes of the movie...And then betrays him again...and again...and again. We're given no real reason to sympathize with Indy over Mac's betrayal, because we have no idea who Mac is. If Sallah or Remy were in KOTCS and betrayed Indy, it'd actually be tragic, because there'd be real history there.

Hell, Belloq was a total VILLAIN and he was more likable than Mac. You could actually respect Belloq, even if you hated him. And we got more of a sense that there was real history between Jones and Belloq than we ever did with Mac and Indy.

I'm going off topic yes but it's just made me think of KOTCS and all it's writing flaws...

Damn you, Belloq! And damn you, Indy, for taking Marion to Egypt!

Why damn Belloq? He had no part in creating the craptastic Mutt Williams as far as we know.