NHL Strike

Johan

I'm happy hockey is back but I think it is lame that there are so many stuggling southern teams while they take away our Winnipeg Jets and we are selling out our new arena for AHL hockey...

BRING BACK THE JETS!!

IndyBuff

The NHL Is Back!!!

I just got back from the Predators pre-season game and I can officially say that hockey is back! I was expecting a half-hearted game with poor playing and low attendence and instead I got the complete opposite. The game was fast-paced and furious. The crowd was loud and the players seemed enthusiastic and eager to play.

The new rules are working well so far. The offensive zone is now four feet bigger and more penalties are being called which helps eliminate players hanging on each other and pulling off cheap shots. Plus, we beat the Carolina Hurricanes 4 to 2, so I can't complain there. :)

So, are there any other hockey fans here?

Paden

Longtime fan of the Dallas Stars here. We didn't fare nearly as well in our most recent exhibition game as Nashville (the perennially formidable Detroit Red Wings beat us 4-2), but I think the team is focused and will really tighten up as a unit once October arrives. Our next test is St. Louis on Tuesday. Work allowing, I'm going to be glued to the television that evening.

I tend to view the rules changes as positive as well. Like you alluded to, I think they'll really serve to streamline the game.

And how cool for you to attend a live game! I've never had the pleasure of attending an NHL game in person, but I may have a shot later down the road. My father-in-law lives in the area and may be able to get us some discounted tickets the next time we head over to Dallas. :)

IndyBuff

I like the Dallas Stars a lot too and hopefully they'll come to Nashville so I can see them play in person. If you ever get the chance you should definately go to a game because you'll have a great time. I usually go with my dad and just get cheap $10 tickets and sit up in the back. You can get a nice view from up there and it's usually less crowded, although there's really not a bad seat in the house. I'm glad to see the Stars and other teams are also performing well. This should be a great year for hockey if all goes well! :)

San Holo

Paden said:
Longtime fan of the Dallas Stars here. We didn't fare nearly as well in our most recent exhibition game as Nashville (the perennially formidable Detroit Red Wings beat us 4-2), but I think the team is focused and will really tighten up as a unit once October arrives. Our next test is St. Louis on Tuesday. Work allowing, I'm going to be glued to the television that evening.

I tend to view the rules changes as positive as well. Like you alluded to, I think they'll really serve to streamline the game.

And how cool for you to attend a live game! I've never had the pleasure of attending an NHL game in person, but I may have a shot later down the road. My father-in-law lives in the area and may be able to get us some discounted tickets the next time we head over to Dallas. :)
I'm also a longtime Stars fan.I got to drink a beer with Darian Hatcher at a wedding in '99, he was a pretty cool guy. If you want to see some good hockey, check out the Ft. Worth Brahmas next time you roll through these parts.

LASTCRUSADER

Well I'm from Montreal so obviously I'm a Montreal Canadians fan. I'm now living in Ottawa and actually going to catch a pre season game this thursday with the Senators vs Penguins. I can't wait for the regular season to start. With all these changes and so many players having been moved around I think its going to be a great season as a whole.

I'm just not crazy about the shootout rule. I mean I'm fine with it for regular season games but when the playoffs come around I think its should still be continuous overtime. I just don't think its right for a team to be able to win the Stanley cup in a shootout.

indifan101

NHL What do you think about the new rules?

It's great to see hockey alive and well again! The NHL took some lumps in the strike but I think it was all worth it! I like the no more overtime rules! For the past three years it seemed like some of the playoff and Stanley Cup overtimes would never end! I can remeber the 2002 Stanley Cup finals of game 5 between the Red Wings and Hurricanes. The Wings won in the 3rd overtime pushing a game 6 in Detroit. The game had ended at 3:00 am. That was nuts! I stayed up untill 1:30 am watching it! And I think the NHL finally got the message that overtime was to long! People love to see their teams fight to victory! They don't want to stay up untill 3:00 am watching it! Plus it's hard on the players! By the time the 2nd overtime ends the teams are about dead! The players are tired the coaches are tired everybody's tired! So seeing shootouts win the game is much more dramatic and exciting! Plus shootouts really erase the wanting of penalty shots! A penalty shot only happens once in a year in hockey! There are others rules that have been changed too but I just wanted you to catch up on the main changes!:D

roundshort

After last year all I can say if F'em all. I think we need some good old Slapshot stlye fights to make these crumpet eating ***** gain some respect. If my Penguins didn't suck so badly, read this wirst team in the NHL, I might have different feelings, but as it is the NHL can go suck goats ***** and move to that country up North, where nothing good has ever come out of except Terrance and Philip!

IndyBuff

I think the new rules are working out very well. I've been to a couple Predators games this season (we're still undefeated, by the way;) ) and the games have been quick and intense. There are a lot more penalties but that also means more power plays and more scoring, all of which have made the game run smoother overall. The NHL may have been cancelled for a year but the wait has been well worth it.

intergamer

LASTCRUSADER said:
I'm a fan of the new rules. I think that the game moves at a much better pace and is generally more exciting to watch.

I agree. And being from Detroit, the new rules are awesome for our great international players like Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg.

Indy Benson

I like most of the new rules, and the refs have done a decent job of being consistent with the calling of penalties. Teams certainly have benefited from the rules (Detroit, Nashville) since it allows the skilled players to play like they're supposed to play, instead of being hooked and held. However, I don't like the shoot-out idea. It's too...modern, I guess. I have to keep SOME of my purist ways intact.

Oh, and I'm also from the Detroit area, so...GO WINGS!

Indy Benson

So much for the Pred's winnning streak: they lost to...the Blue Jackets?!?! Well, they were bound to lose sooner or later. No matter: they're still a great team.